Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tesco £5bn wiped off shares

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wipe my hole with £5 billion shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bet they used Charmin

available at all good Tescos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

That must take awHile. Cool wHip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That must take awHile. Cool wHip.

Not really. I have a massive hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

And the response will be to lay off lots of staff

And give the executives top bonuses for slashing costs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Meanwhile Tesco Ireland announce record profits due to massive price inflation compared to the UK counterparts...

Dramatization... May not of happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Meanwhile Tesco Ireland announce record profits due to massive price inflation compared to the UK counterparts...

Dramatization... May not of happened.
    May not have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

How? Chances are this will affect jobs, hours and potential new store openings here. Tesco is an enormous Irish employer, something that has the potential to really damage that is not to be welcomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

this wee hobbit was major contributor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

How? Chances are this will affect jobs, hours and potential new store openings here. Tesco is an enormous Irish employer, something that has the potential to really damage that is not to be welcomed.

what about irish producers and suppliers? in the long run tesco will harm employment.

Tesco tried to hide its policy from Irish people of buying directly from UK suppliers. An internal document said that a key objective was ensuring its policy of taking deliveries directly from UK suppliers went unnoticed and remained "invisible to the Irish customer". At the same time the president of the Irish Farmers' Association said there was deep anger about Tesco's decision to displace local produce with imports and that it "will inevitably lead to thousands of job losses and will put Irish producers of local, fresh produce out of business."[52]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Must some amount of shoplifting that anthony worrall thompson got up to then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

And is that still legal tender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

It's that fecking bargain alerts crowd in the Tesco thread. They're mad for mispriced stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There'll be no bargains here because they're only interested in making a come-back in their main market in the UK. They'll just use places like Ireland to prop up the group profits, so we'll still get screwed.

Not that we won't get screwed by Dunnes and SuperValu, because they're as bigger pair of robbers as Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tesco has no real growth in Ireland. What they are "announcing" is the effects of the small tesco express stores they are opening.

All they are doing is using the sales from the small, new shops, to show growth in Ireland and they are just wiping out the small irish retailer.

Tesco town anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

"Insert card or select payment method" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"Insert card or select payment method" :mad:

Unexpected item in the bagging area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Supermarkets have a net cost on jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It's no surprise that sales are down. The shelves are empty half the time in my local tesco and they only restock certain products every few months. I assume the rest of their stores are like this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Don't care, don't shop there never will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The nearest Tesco to me is Clarehall and every time I come out of there, I have a headache. I think there's something funny with their lighting. I've stopped going as it isn't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

You must have a massive arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ha! Consumers have copped on to their marketing con of 'cutting prices'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I like Tesco. It's fairly cheap and open at reasonable hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Didn't realise Worrall Thompson took that muck stuff :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

As long as it doesn't cost the Irish tax-payer a penny not a single fuck could I give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

assistance needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Must be all that stroking at the Self Service checkouts in Tesco Clare Hall Darndale.

Buy one, get 10 free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I think this was posted on some past thread - but it sums up the likes of Tesco for me
    "Jim Power, the economist, did a study for us and one of the things he showed was
    that for the 38pc of market share that independent retailers have they've created about 90,000, jobs.
    For the 27pc market share that Tesco has, it has created 13,000 jobs."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bruton-tells-tesco-to-buy-irish-as-retail-giant-creates-500-jobs-2805744.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think this was posted on some past thread - but it sums up the likes of Tesco for me

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bruton-tells-tesco-to-buy-irish-as-retail-giant-creates-500-jobs-2805744.html
    Do those numbers include jobs in the local supply chain and how they affect the welfare of our livestock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

If I'm at all indicative of the general Irish public, then we do our main shop in Lidl or Aldi, and only go to Tescos (if we have to) for branded goods - and even then I'd prefer Supervalu or Centra, given the choice. Ideally, I'd do all my shopping in the local butchers, greengrocers, fishmongers etc., but bringing bags of shopping from one shop to another, as opposed to just pushing a cart around a big shop, puts me off - especially when it's raining (which it always is).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

what about irish producers and suppliers? in the long run tesco will harm employment.
    Between this and the christmas shelf stacking internships, tesco will never get a cent from me again.

Advertisement