Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people bother paying to Exercise?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

too look muscly you have too eat good and train hard.. its not easy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Gym is essential, most people who are against weights are jokes and thus opinion doesn't count. A cousin of mine goes to the gym, he's a lad but hasn't touched weights ever, he doesn't want to be 'muscly' :rolleyes:
    Ehy does that get a roll eyes? He is just being fit. People who are all muscle and no stamina look like fools tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

john t wrote: »
    too look muscly you have too eat good and train hard.. its not easy..

Too right and when you've a high metabolism it's even worse. Drinking full fat milk is good too. Was on 4 litres a day at one stage and it certainly helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Ehy does that get a roll eyes? He is just being fit. People who are all muscle and no stamina look like fools tbh.

Because regardless of how they look it takes an unreal amount of time and effort to maintain that physique. It's like saying "Nah I don't feel like going out running, I wouldn't wanna end up in the Olympics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

milk is good natural food but so is porridge and needs too be consumed every day..water and milk..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fit people are assholes. /jk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Between a €25 set of weights from argos and running around my area i've been sorted for several years. Played rugby at a fairly high standard with people who went to the gym religiously and I can't say there was much of a difference in fitness and development. Seems like a complete waste of money to be honest

€25 set of weights and you played at a fairly high standard?

You must have outgrown those weights after a few sessions - imagine how much better you could have been had you lifted heavier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Is that the 70e a month one near your location? I used to go there when I lived in Dublin, had a flat in the crescent across the road, those were the days...
    Yup, loved the place but unfortunately I do not have €70 a month these days.
    I never had room anywhere i lived to keep 300 kilo of metal, a few long bars etc etc.
    Nor a floor you'd fancy dropping 300k on I'm sure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

JokerD wrote: »
    I would pick running in the pouring rain over running on a treadmill everyday of the week.
    Truth! Its the only time I get to catch up on my podcasts as well, since the car stereo doesn't do mp3s. I love jogging listening to a good drama or something similar, you do not notice the miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Either they were ALL doing it wrong or I was doing it right:p

Ya can't get too far with a 25 quid set of weights, they must've spent their time flexing in front of the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

I find the going to the gym gives me the motivation I need to do a good workout- I joined last year and I love it, there is more variety to keep you interested and the added option of swimmming, classes, showers etc...

For me exercising at home just isn't the same- I have a few things like a mat, weights and a gymball but when I'm at home I keep putting it off and space is an issue.
    I also find it hard to run outside- the treadmill suits me much better.
    Each to their own though, what works for one person might not suit someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I love swimming and joined my local gym last year so that I could go every morning. Unfortunately financially I can't afford to join again, so am going walking instead. But as soon as the money starts rollin' in, I'll be back down to the pool.

I miss it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 matt1987p

I work out in both

when at home i go for a jog come home and have a bench and weights and finish with some sit ups,

but when in gym you cnat compare it with at home ,
    threadmill and a variety of machines
    no wind or rain in your face
    and once done you can relax with a swim sauna steam room jacuzzi shower and home all ready to sink into the couch or bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Perving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Nor a floor you'd fancy dropping 300k on I'm sure!!!

Exactly, i reckon the neighbours would be fairly pissed every time i bailed out of an 80kilo one arm snatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Well a lot of people join gyms to build muscle and good luck making 80kg of weight yourself! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I usually just run but I just moved to Canada and weather does not allow for that here so gonna join the gym.

Be good to have access to the weight machines again, I've gotten so weak since I quit the gym!

Plus I really love taking gym classes. They are the best motivation for me cause you can't really quit half way through like you might exercising alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I dont understand why people sign up to the likes of ''JJB'' and other gyms to exercise when they can clearly just decide to lose weight other ways like Going for a walk or a run. Or running up and down your stairs and making your own weights and getting on yer bike.

The amount of money these gyms must make out of people is a joke. People spend X amount a year on absolute rubbish they could replicate themselves and cut costs.

Not everyone's fitness goal is to get skinnier.

I pay to go to a gym because I don't have the space to work out/store weights in my apartment and I have no way of getting the weights to my apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

and why do artists rent studio spaces when they could just work at home, doesnt work for a lot of people.

For some its space but more so there is a lot to be said for the benefits of just having somewhere to go, to get out of the house I jog, walk and cycle on my own but it does feel aimless and kind of lonely so its hard to keep motivated but I do, if I could go to the gym I could get a better workout by adding variety, have somewhere warm and dry to work out in.

I would pay 175-250 a year for a basic gym happily but not 400+ , I just wouldn't rag on people who want to go to the gym I know how many people waste their money by signing up and if pay as you go options were more available that wouldnt be such an issue at least those people wasting their money want to get fit thats not stupid, people pay because some don't have the (mental and psychical) space to do it at home, some people don't live in areas where you can just exercise outside its a bit dodge and the weather plays a role in this.

The question isn't why do people pay to exercise because people who pay to exercise get so much more out of it than spending 30-60 euro a month on the internet, tv, excess food and drink, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

While I agree with a lot of what the OP said I still fell a gym has its value. I prefer to do cardio outside in the fresh air rather then be stuck in the same spot ie threadmill or exercise bike (so boring). But when it comes to weight training I prefer to do this in the gym. I can just motivate myself more in the gym plus you have all the machines and equipment you need i.e dip/pull up bars, squat rack, leg press machines etc. If you have a routine off going to the gym regularly and are their to train hard and not have a chit chat and are the type who just does bar curls in the sqaut rack or pulls shapes all the time then the gym is worth its membership fee. Some one referred also to women and even men walking ona threadmill as their gym workout. Prime example of a waste of money. Just walk outside for fecks sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

billyhead wrote: »
    While I agree with a lot of what the OP said I still fell a gym has its value. I prefer to do cardio outside in the fresh air rather then be stuck in the same spot ie threadmill or exercise bike (so boring). But when it comes to weight training I prefer to do this in the gym. I can just motivate myself more in the gym plus you have all the machines and equipment you need i.e dip/pull up bars, squat rack, leg press machines etc. If you have a routine off going to the gym regularly and are their to train hard and not have a chit chat and are the type who just does bar curls in the sqaut rack or pulls shapes all the time then the gym is worth its membership fee. Some one referred also to women and even men walking ona threadmill as their gym workout. Prime example of a waste of money. Just walk outside for fecks sake.

I've only seen one person actually squat in the squat rack :( I really don't understand why people use more equipment than they need. It drives me crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

cronin_j wrote: »
    What do you do when you want to lift heavy weights?

I can see it now you saying it to the missus:

"sorry love no washing the clothes tonight, im benching the washing machine"

Put on more washing machines.

There are no more washing machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Robdude wrote: »
    I've only seen one person actually squat in the squat rack :( I really don't understand why people use more equipment than they need. It drives me crazy.

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Shed+cd player+dumbell set+treadmill+skipping rope=homemade gym @600e

Shed+cd player+dumbell set+treadmill+skipping rope=homemade gym @600e

Three years membership in other words. I prefer the company of others like. Anything to avoid FairCity .

Robdude wrote: »

Yeh,

It happens a lot in the gym I use. Usually gets a lot of saddos who from the start of their session until the end only work their arms. Paranoid in thinking that having big guns attracts the women. Their the type with a little chest and back and chicken legs (totally out of proportion). Some of the fitness staff don't bother their arse putting them on a proper programme

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Yeh,

It happens a lot in the gym I use. Usually gets a lot of saddos who from the start of their session until the end only work their arms. Paranoid in thinking that having big guns attracts the women. Their the type with a little chest and back and chicken legs (totally out of proportion). Some of the fitness staff don't bother their arse putting them on a proper programme

These 'saddos' are perfectly entitled to do whatever they want to do in the gym. Some people go to get big chests and backs and fat legs, others go to escape work/home and to take their mind off things. I joined a week ago to tone up and just generally get fit i.e. walking up three flights of stairs without becoming breathless. I drive everywhere and get feck all exercise so it's the perfect excuse to do something.

If they want a program, I'm sure they'll ask.

cul-2008 wrote: »
    These 'saddos' are perfectly entitled to do whatever they want to do in the gym. Some people go to get big chests and backs and fat legs, others go to escape work/home and to take their mind off things. I joined a week ago to tone up and just generally get fit i.e. walking up three flights of stairs without becoming breathless. I drive everywhere and get feck all exercise so it's the perfect excuse to do something.

If they want a program, I'm sure they'll ask.

I agree. Everyone to their own but the Squat rack is titled that for a reason. Its just irritating when you want to use it for big lifts such as squats or deadlifts and someone is using it for bloody curls:mad:. Another thing I can't stand is people spending about 15 minutes on a weights machine just sitting their for about 3-4 mins in between sets. Like other poeple have to use it and if you want to spend that length of time in between sets at least have the courtesy to let other gym goes use it during their intervals. Its just that a lot of users do not have a clue about the gym etiquitte. Not wiping sweat of machines, dumping weights around the floor etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Just gotta say that those boot camps are the biggest scam going, paying someone to watch you exercise in a public park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I agree. Everyone to their own but the Squat rack is titled that for a reason. Its just irritating when you want to use it for big lifts such as squats or deadlifts and someone is using it for bloody curls:mad:. Another thing I can't stand is people spending about 15 minutes on a weights machine just sitting their for about 3-4 mins in between sets. Like other poeple have to use it and if you want to spend that length of time in between sets at least have the courtesy to let other gym goes use it during their intervals. Its just that a lot of users do not have a clue about the gym etiquitte. Not wiping sweat of machines, dumping weights around the floor etc etc

Yup its that time of year when the "Resolutioners" crowd the gym. Screwing with the routine, unaware of the rules and dressed inappropriately.

At least it only lasts another few weeks, then they'll decide its too much work and disappear back where they came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

cul-2008 wrote: »
    These 'saddos' are perfectly entitled to do whatever they want to do in the gym.

I know. Its hard to be silent though when you see someone doing something wrong. And alot of times the wrong way can lead to injury.

I think beginners can be intimidated into not asking for help/advice when they first start out.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yup its that time of year when the "Resolutioners" crowd the gym. Screwing with the routine, unaware of the rules and dressed inappropriately.

At least it only lasts another few weeks, then they'll decide its too much work and disappear back where they came from.

Screwing, dressed inappropriately......... pics etc.

Advertisement