Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC homephone

Options
  • 12-01-2012 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Thinking of subscribing to UPC homephone package as it seems to be a good deal from the money point of view. Are there any drawbacks / limitations to the service that anyone is aware of? Any hidden costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm quite happy with mine - certainly cheaper.

A bit of messing around with the modem as it has to be reset ever so often. But more than enough to make up for it. Bit of messing round with the offpeak/peak times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

amtc wrote: »
    A bit of messing around with the modem as it has to be reset ever so often.

My mother has it and it's been something of a disaster. Drops calls, won't ring some numbers for unknown reasons and sometimes needs to be reset as you say. I think I'd be less forgiving than you seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Zab wrote: »
    My mother has it and it's been something of a disaster. Drops calls, won't ring some numbers for unknown reasons and sometimes needs to be reset as you say. I think I'd be less forgiving than you seem to be.
    I moved to UPC's 100 Mb broadband + phone about a month ago - ten times faster than the BT/Vodafone bundle we had previously, and about a tenner a month cheaper.

Frankly, I was sceptical but I've actually been very impressed. One or two minor teething problems - after a week or two, I noticed the broadband connection was dropping for about five minutes once or twice a day. I phoned it in, they fixed something out on the street, and two weeks on, it's been working perfectly.

The entire cable infrastructure on our street was upgraded about a year ago; I can well imagine problems in places which are still using older cable.

When the engineer came out to check things out, I was chatting with him and he did mention UPC seem to be a lot more careful about getting good quality installations (cable termination, etc.) than NTL and Chorus were before them - he reckoned the whole network is gradually moving to a much higher standard over time, as they replace all the head-end units piece by piece.

So I guess your mileage may vary. If you have a neighbour who has it and it's working well for them, it will probably work well for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I have it for the last two years or so, never dropped a call, signal is always clear.

The only downside is it doesn't work if your power goes, unlike a standard landline you can't plug a corded phone into the socket when the power is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Service is excellent, never had any problems .. Only issue is well minor, the telephone ports on the Cisco modem. Only one works, the other dose not get up too much.. Also I think there are only certain types of phones that are compatible with the modem..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Only "Line 1" is active. The other port is for a second line with a different number.

*ALL* modern Irish phones work on the UPC phone service. The only thing that won't work is pulse-dial phones.

Advertisement