Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiples, cheap booze, source of evil!

• 12-01-2012 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Right so I was just thinking about this today. I live in a small village on the border of Kildare/Laois/Offaly ok. There is a huge unemployment problem in the area and there is a sort of blackspot in the village of a council estate that never settled (most of them do at the age of this one it just never worked here)

Anyway the crowd beside me (on the rent allowance scheme never work) are currently well on and drunk partying away like good things and I was just moaning to a friend (she lives the other side of them we were on the phone) about it. But she told me that in Aldi you can buy a bottle of Vodka for less than €10 (to be fair I kind of knew this but I never go into LIDL or Aldi) and we were just saying that if they couldn't get it there they wouldn't pay €24/€28 in Super Valu.

So do we think, if we didn't have LIDL/Aldi/Tesco doing what they are doing (I know the likes of Super Valu sell cheap booze now too but they do it more because they have to in order to compete) that things might be a bit better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Hi Roisin Shortall, nice to have you on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Gee Bag wrote: »

Close but no cigar FG man more than Labour not into the whole leftie thing

toexpress wrote: »

At this stage I'd hardly call the Labour party left wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Typical Irish government solution to a problem - increase taxes and make money from people, citing 'social ills', etc. Alcoholics and problem drinkers won't stop drinking if you increase tax on booze. They'll just sacrifice other expenses so they can buy booze. Then of course those of us who are responsible drinkers are also punished. "People who are moderate drinkers won't be affected" - yes we f**king will. We may not spend our life savings on hooch but we're still being fleeced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Buy one or two bottles at 10e and when you drink them you won't notice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

* Craics open another can*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Gee Bag wrote: »

Roisin wouldn't start her post "Right so"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Right so I was just thinking about this today. I live in a small village on the border of Kildare/Laois/Offaly ok. There is a huge unemployment problem in the area and there is a sort of blackspot in the village of a council estate that never settled (most of them do at the age of this one it just never worked here)

Anyway the crowd beside me (on the rent allowance scheme never work) are currently well on and drunk partying away like good things and I was just moaning to a friend (she lives the other side of them we were on the phone) about it. But she told me that in Aldi you can buy a bottle of Vodka for less than €10 (to be fair I kind of knew this but I never go into LIDL or Aldi) and we were just saying that if they couldn't get it there they wouldn't pay €24/€28 in Super Valu.

So do we think, if we didn't have LIDL/Aldi/Tesco doing what they are doing (I know the likes of Super Valu sell cheap booze now too but they do it more because they have to in order to compete) that things might be a bit better?

So basically you want to abolish cheap booze because your neighbours are having a party? Why not ask them to be quiet as a first step anyway before calling for legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

If Lidl/aldi weren't here the other supermarkets would manage to get in some cheap stuff that they'll drink.

Cans can be bought for a ewe-ro in most places now the whole time. 500ml of vodka for a tenner in a place near me. Can't really do anything about it really....unless you

Blast em with píss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Have you tried talking to them about it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Done

to

death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Do you think your neighbours not being able to afford something would make your own life happier? I'd suggest your personal problems are more than others buying cheap booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

It is very difficult to avoid scum, and our government finances this behaviour. They become unemployable after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Have you thought about moving house? Your neighbours shopping in LIDL and Aldi seems to be really getting to you

alphanine wrote: »
    It is very difficult to avoid scum, and our government finances this behaviour. They become unemployable after a while.

Hi Travis Bickle, nice to have you on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

mackg wrote: »
    So basically you want to abolish cheap booze because your neighbours are having a party? Why not ask them to be quiet as a first step anyway before calling for legislation.

Yeah see what happens to him then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I live in a small village on the border of Kildare/Laois/Offaly ok.

If you lived in a county known for GAA success you be posting over in GAA forum or in your regional forum and wouldn't be worrying over your neighbours :cool:

Time to move OP, move south my man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

dsmythy wrote: »
    Yeah see what happens to him then :D

A hand-written apology and a skip in his step

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

I think you're right Ireland never had a problem with alcohol until lidl and aldi came here and started selling it cheap. Communion wine was all we knew til a few years ago, god be with the days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If you lived in a county known for GAA success you be posting over in GAA forum or in your regional forum and wouldn't be worrying over your neighbours :cool:

Time to move OP, move south my man

South to ...... Limerick ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wonder how much tax would be needed before people start taking to illegal stills en masse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Clue was in the first post
    (to be fair I kind of knew this but I never go into LIDL or Aldi)

I think the answer is to up the price of drink and drive these plebs to heroin...don't get many noise problems from your neighbours banging up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

... I never go into LIDL or Aldi...
    Well, laa-de-daa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Irish alcohol is already more expensive than elsewhere. You'll need more creative solutions than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I never go into LIDL or Aldi

Why should I trust anyone who's never been into ALDI or LIDL?

You go in there because you're thinking 'I'll save a few quid - look at me, I'm a thrifty bastard'

One problem though. You get drawn down towards the 'this weeks gadgets and bric-a-brac' isle and end up spending money on LED torches, a digital satellite system for camping and a load of tools you'll never use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

South to ...... Limerick ?

Theres a huge County called Tipperary before you get to Limerick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If you lived in a county known for GAA success
    chucken1 wrote: »
    Theres a huge County called Tipperary

:cool:

mackg wrote: »

No I don't want to abolish it because they are having a "party" they live in a state of constant party anyway. I want to abolish it because I think that is one of the larger contributory factors to the rising crime rate.

Why should I trust anyone who's never been into ALDI or LIDL?

You go in there because you're thinking 'I'll save a few quid - look at me, I'm a thrifty bastard'

One problem though. You get drawn down towards the 'this weeks gadgets and bric-a-brac' isle and end up spending money on LED torches, a digital satellite system for camping and a load of tools you'll never use.

I don't go there because I have a small food business so most of what I want comes from suppliers there and outside of that I get it locally at my Super Valu because what I save going to Aldi would be spent on Diesel driving there nothing more than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Never buy cheap spirits.

It's nearly always fake and it is usually (more) poisonous. People die from drinking due to the fact that it's full of mercury and shit like that. So don't buy a bottle of vodka for a €1 (like I have done).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If you increase the price of booze the crime rates are as likely to rise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No I don't want to abolish it because they are having a "party" they live in a state of constant party anyway. I want to abolish it because I think that is one of the larger contributory factors to the rising crime rate.

Why would they need to resort to crime? According to yer OP they are living the life of Reilly as it is.

Why would they need to resort to crime? According to yer OP they are living the life of Reilly as it is.

Again I state I am talking about the broader situation based on that experience that I have had. But if you wish I can list out the specifics of their crimes later in the day when I have a few hours (I type at about 85 words a minute)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just kill em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, they could brew their own, how would you solve that one? I've gotten drunk on my own stuff plenty of times. Prohibition or restriction of supply is never the answer to these issues.

• Advertisement

I type at about 85 words a minute
    I refer to my previous post.

Confab wrote: »
    OP, they could brew their own, how would you solve that one? I've gotten drunk on my own stuff plenty of times. Prohibition or restriction of supply is never the answer to these issues.

I am not saying not to sell it, but lets face it the social welfare classes are not used to Spirits at the best of times. When you add in whatever crap the cheap production of Spirits introduces it's going to have consequences.

Personally I think that there should be more done with drunken disorderly conduct. A higher rate of conviction to match the offending behaviour and that a Judge should be able to use a carrot and stick approach. In other words hand down a suspended sentence, the suspension being for 5 years on say a 12 month sentence and if they go to rehab, do well and be of good behaviour for the period that will be it end of story. If they re-offend then it's off to Mountjoy for the 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Roisin wouldn't start her post "Right so"

It must be Bill O'Herlihy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I am not saying not to sell it, but lets face it the social welfare classes are not used to Spirits at the best of times. When you add in whatever crap the cheap production of Spirits introduces it's going to have consequences.
    Christ of almighty. Have a wee read back of that and tell me that's not your genuine attitude. You sound like some sort of 19th Century land lord or something. "The peasants can't handle strong drink." Would you ever STFU?

I am not saying not to sell it, but lets face it the social welfare classes are not used to Spirits at the best of times.
    What. The. Fuck?

• Advertisement

Personally I think that there should be more done with drunken disorderly conduct. A higher rate of conviction to match the offending behaviour and that a Judge should be able to use a carrot and stick approach. In other words hand down a suspended sentence, the suspension being for 5 years on say a 12 month sentence and if they go to rehab, do well and be of good behaviour for the period that will be it end of story. If they re-offend then it's off to Mountjoy for the 12 months.

Send everybody who gets drunk and dose silly Sh*t to prison for a year? We're not fookin' Saudi Arabia!

Jezz calm down! I was pretty much taking the piss Ross O'Carroll Kelly style with the social welfare classes thing.

But the rest of it is pretty dead on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

If cheap alcohol is evil, then let's get rid of the subsidised bar in the Dáil. We can look at the rest of the country and the people after that.

If cheap alcohol is evil, then let's get rid of the subsidised bar in the Dáil. We can look at the rest of the country and the people after that.

Now let us not be hasty ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Jezz calm down! I was pretty much taking the piss Ross O'Carroll Kelly style with the social welfare classes thing.

But the rest of it is pretty dead on

As a rule of thumb, if you need to explain that something is a joke...it's a **** joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Based on what? Give a few examples of what exactly it is your neighbours do. Public Order offences or worse? If they are involved in serious crime surely it's a matter for the police.

As I say it's not just my neighbour. Here where I live Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat you will see a huge number of public order offences. For example a guy recently urinated through the letter box of an elderly lady who lives on the Main Street. He thought it was a great joke at the time, I'm sure the 84 year old lady (and a true lady at that) who lives there wasn't really laughing that much.

I have had to call the Gardai over my own neighbours brawling out in front of the house at 3/4 in the morning.

In respect of my neighbours the list is endless. They have thrown paint mixed with glue over my car, and that was because I made one of their visitors move their car from in front of my gate so I could drive in, stolen my oil, broken in here and assaulted me (though to be fair the offender in that case came out of it worse for the experience). Now all of that is pretty bad but they have a lovely habit of going to the net, printing off some of the newspaper stories about the death of my partner in 08 and putting it through my letter box or pinning it to the front door. That may seem pretty trivial by comparison to some of the other stuff but to me it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

And making alcohol more expensive will solve this :confused:

Sounds like a bit of a longshot tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

increasing prices of booze and cigarettes has shown to have little effect on the number of people abusing alcohol or smoking.

in fact one could say it actually does more harm than good as now these people who are dependent on them either take to crime to subsidize their habits or neglect children in order to feed their habits.

tax increases on both is nothing more than the government being greedy sods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

she told me that in Aldi you can buy a bottle of Vodka for less than €10 (to be fair I kind of knew this but I never go into LIDL or Aldi)

*Eyes widen in shock, causing a gold rimmed monocle to plink into glass of champagne*

• Advertisement
Advertisement