Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiples, cheap booze, source of evil!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

toexpress wrote: »
    I am not saying not to sell it, but lets face it the social welfare classes are not used to Spirits at the best of times. When you add in whatever crap the cheap production of Spirits introduces it's going to have consequences.

Personally I think that there should be more done with drunken disorderly conduct. A higher rate of conviction to match the offending behaviour and that a Judge should be able to use a carrot and stick approach. In other words hand down a suspended sentence, the suspension being for 5 years on say a 12 month sentence and if they go to rehab, do well and be of good behaviour for the period that will be it end of story. If they re-offend then it's off to Mountjoy for the 12 months.

What a great idea, making people responsible for their actions rather than blaming it on alcohol. I wish I'd thought of that.
    As I say it's not just my neighbour. Here where I live Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat you will see a huge number of public order offences. For example a guy recently urinated through the letter box of an elderly lady who lives on the Main Street. He thought it was a great joke at the time, I'm sure the 84 year old lady (and a true lady at that) who lives there wasn't really laughing that much.

I have had to call the Gardai over my own neighbours brawling out in front of the house at 3/4 in the morning.

In respect of my neighbours the list is endless. They have thrown paint mixed with glue over my car, and that was because I made one of their visitors move their car from in front of my gate so I could drive in, stolen my oil, broken in here and assaulted me (though to be fair the offender in that case came out of it worse for the experience). Now all of that is pretty bad but they have a lovely habit of going to the net, printing off some of the newspaper stories about the death of my partner in 08 and putting it through my letter box or pinning it to the front door. That may seem pretty trivial by comparison to some of the other stuff but to me it's not.

And all of this behaviour would stop if alcohol was more expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

As I say it's not just my neighbour. Here where I live Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat you will see a huge number of public order offences. For example a guy recently urinated through the letter box of an elderly lady who lives on the Main Street. He thought it was a great joke at the time, I'm sure the 84 year old lady (and a true lady at that) who lives there wasn't really laughing that much.

I have had to call the Gardai over my own neighbours brawling out in front of the house at 3/4 in the morning.

In respect of my neighbours the list is endless. They have thrown paint mixed with glue over my car, and that was because I made one of their visitors move their car from in front of my gate so I could drive in, stolen my oil, broken in here and assaulted me (though to be fair the offender in that case came out of it worse for the experience). Now all of that is pretty bad but they have a lovely habit of going to the net, printing off some of the newspaper stories about the death of my partner in 08 and putting it through my letter box or pinning it to the front door. That may seem pretty trivial by comparison to some of the other stuff but to me it's not.

That's horrible, no doubt about it. However other then the brawling in the street at 3/4 in the morning which could be contributed in part to the booze, the rest sems to be down to the fact that your neighbours are assholes. Raising the price of drink will not solve this problem. As far as someone peeing in a letterbox I'm afraid things of this nature happened long before Lidl and Aldi came to town. As I said there is no doubt you have a problem but what you're calling for won't solve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They sound like complete pricks, alcohol isn't the problem here, they are.

If alcohol was the problem then I would have been capable of that, and while I did do some stupid things, the stuff they're doing is horrid bullying and I'd never sink that low no matter how drunk I got.

Raising the price of alcohol out of their price range would probably only encourage them to steal for the money.

If I was you I'd at the very least start recording any more bullying on their part, if you can get some cameras in but do it on the sly you want to catch them in the act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Right to address whole sort of "snob because I don't go to LIDL or Aldi" thing once and for all. I have a food business. Since the death of my partner I live alone. It doesn't take a whole lot to feed myself and the dog, I bring it home from work. I also get my cleaning stuff at work in fact pretty much my entire house is run from my business. Anything additional that I need comes from Super Valu because it is the nearest place to me and driving to Portarlington or Portlaoise wouldn't save me anything.

In regards to the behaviour, the socially housed tenants in the property next to mine have been told not to enter onto my property. They have to do so in order to attach these notes to my door or post them through my letter box. This is a crime. The very nature of the notes and the continued arrival of them means that this is harassment. This always happens in the evening usually from Thursday to Sunday. They get the social on Thursdays here where I live.

But the good news is that they will soon enter onto my property to do this again. And when they do I'm a mighty good shot! So that solves my problem but to say that things like that happen to an 84 year old and c'est la vie ... well it says a lot about our society that such an attitude exists. Frankly I think a nice long custodial sentence would be too good for the scum bag that did that

But the good news is that they will soon enter onto my property to do this again. And when they do I'm a mighty good shot! So that solves my problem but to say that things like that happen to an 84 year old and c'est la vie ... well it says a lot about our society that such an attitude exists. Frankly I think a nice long custodial sentence would be too good for the scum bag that did that
    It is wrong that this happens but I don't think custodial sentences help at all, they might make the victim feel better knowing that they'll be punished for the crime they committed but it will only make that other person worse in the long run. I don't think prison makes people see the error of their ways I just think it further alienates them from normal society.

There's no community any more, we just don't look out for each other it's one of Irelands greatest failures and will continue to see us fail into the future.

You should put the article about the law change in their letter box then sit outside your house on a rocking chair, shotgun in hand watching every move they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Right to address whole sort of "snob because I don't go to LIDL or Aldi" thing once and for all. I have a food business. Since the death of my partner I live alone. It doesn't take a whole lot to feed myself and the dog, I bring it home from work. I also get my cleaning stuff at work in fact pretty much my entire house is run from my business. Anything additional that I need comes from Super Valu because it is the nearest place to me and driving to Portarlington or Portlaoise wouldn't save me anything.

In regards to the behaviour, the socially housed tenants in the property next to mine have been told not to enter onto my property. They have to do so in order to attach these notes to my door or post them through my letter box. This is a crime. The very nature of the notes and the continued arrival of them means that this is harassment. This always happens in the evening usually from Thursday to Sunday. They get the social on Thursdays here where I live.

How does any of this relate to your belief that increasing the price of alcohol will solve a host of societal ills? You're derailing your own thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Sindri wrote: »
    Never buy cheap spirits.

It's nearly always fake and it is usually (more) poisonous. People die from drinking due to the fact that it's full of mercury and shit like that. So don't buy a bottle of vodka for a €1 (like I have done).

Which vodka?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

So basically when you shoot someone there will be a post to show that you were waiting for the opportunity to shoot them.

Seems like a dumb move to me.

So basically when you shoot someone there will be a post to show that you were waiting for the opportunity to shoot them.

Seems like a dumb move to me.
    He seems perfectly entitled to shot them, it makes no difference that he knows they're prolonged bullying will mean they'll be back again. It just highlights the extent of his suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Someone has jealousy and bitterness issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

How terrible, unemployed people who sometimes party and have a bit of fun rather than sinking into suicidal gloom and depression!:D Maybe they'd do less of that if someone made it possible for them to get decent employment.:rolleyes:

The chains like Aldi and Lidl may have brought cheaper booze (by Irish standards, still expensive by the standards of many other European countries), but they have also brought a good lot of cheaper food and I bet a lot of people are glad of that nowadays. Not to mention the Polish wan in Lidl who has me, as we say down here on the borders of Laois, Offaly and Kildare, "buckled with a brang" every time I see her bending over as she stacks the shelves.:):):)

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    How terrible, unemployed people who sometimes party and have a bit of fun rather than sinking into suicidal gloom and depression!:D Maybe they'd do less of that if someone made it possible for them to get decent employment.:rolleyes:
    Really, did you read his last few posts? Breaking into his house, damaging his property and making fun of his dead partner? That's not fun and games it's bullying.

Whatever about custodial sentences, I'm not getting into that here, dealing with these peoples behaviour towards you is certainly the answer. Raising the price of alcohol isn't.

Yeah this has sort of become about my neighbours.

So to try and get it back on track ...

Just take the example of the elderly lady here who's letter box was urinated through. Imagine that is your mother or grandmother, how do you feel?

And to suggest that someone should make it possible for someone to get decent employment is a joke. We are all responsible for our own fortunes. When my partner died I paid the taxes on what he left me a short time later Anglo was nationalised and I was left with half our assets wiped out. I am still here 3 years on having set up a new business 6 months ago offering employment paying my debts and making sure that no-one can say I walked away from the money that we owed. I have made sure that my name and my partners name is protected and respected so to say that SOMEONE should make it possible for SOMEONE else to get a job, when they have been on dole payments for years is a joke not to mention offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

YFlyer wrote: »
    Which vodka?

Glen's Vodka, Spar Vodka, Red Admiral. The mercury was for dramatic effect but they have things nearly as bad as methanol and cleaner fluid and solvents and lots of other industrial type chemicals. If it smells like nail varnish stay away! You'll notice it by ****ty labels and ****ty packaging. It kills loads of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Yeah this has sort of become about my neighbours.

So to try and get it back on track ...

Just take the example of the elderly lady here who's letter box was urinated through. Imagine that is your mother or grandmother, how do you feel?

And to suggest that someone should make it possible for someone to get decent employment is a joke. We are all responsible for our own fortunes. When my partner died I paid the taxes on what he left me a short time later Anglo was nationalised and I was left with half our assets wiped out. I am still here 3 years on having set up a new business 6 months ago offering employment paying my debts and making sure that no-one can say I walked away from the money that we owed. I have made sure that my name and my partners name is protected and respected so to say that SOMEONE should make it possible for SOMEONE else to get a job, when they have been on dole payments for years is a joke not to mention offensive

That's back on track? Anglo, your debt problems and unemployment?

Thought it was about drink?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sindri wrote: »
    Glen's Vodka, Spar Vodka, Red Admiral. The mercury was for dramatic effect but they have things nearly as bad as methanol and cleaner fluid and solvents and lots of other industrial type chemicals. If it smells like nail varnish stay away! You'll notice it by ****ty labels and ****ty packaging. It kills loads of people.

Give a link to one death caused by any of those vodkas caused by a serious chemical added in lieu of proper production.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

That's back on track? Anglo, your debt problems and unemployment?

Thought it was about drink?

I never said I had a debt problem. I was addressing the stupidity of the comment that if SOMEONE was to provide employment for these people then they wouldn't commit crime. My point is simple, I could have sank under but I didn't, I fought, I won. If I can do it anyone can. Long term unemployment may not now be a choice for people and I agree in many cases it is enforced but that wasn't always the case and people like these have never worked an honest day in their life. Probably linked to their alcoholic illness which is supported by cheap booze.

Another arguement for why it's a social evil

I never said I had a debt problem. I was addressing the stupidity of the comment that if SOMEONE was to provide employment for these people then they wouldn't commit crime. My point is simple, I could have sank under but I didn't, I fought, I won. If I can do it anyone can. Long term unemployment may not now be a choice for people and I agree in many cases it is enforced but that wasn't always the case and people like these have never worked an honest day in their life. Probably linked to their alcoholic illness which is supported by cheap booze.

Another arguement for why it's a social evil

You had it tough and you got through it fair play but the bold part is the only part relevant to the OP and is just speculation. Anything other than speculation in support of your argument?

Advertisement