Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Student Center/Sports Center

Options
  • 12-01-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

When is this going to open? I'm now totally confused. Every UCD website I click onto promises it by the end of January this year. Now I walked passed the site of the new student center just before Christmas and saying it will be open by end of January is incredibly optimistic. I then here people around campus saying it won't open until April or so..then others saying it wont be open until next year!

So, when are they actually going to unveil this thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'm hoping my grand-children will get to see it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

There's a thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056254101

Latest from their Facebook page is:
    The construction phase is due for completion around Feb. There will then be a testing phase and it is hoped that the building will be open around May. Tours of the building will be carried out before the building has fully open to let people see what will be available in the building.

I would imagine that they have got the more complicated part of the project out of the way that would be most likely to cause delays, so that announcement would be fairly accurate I'd say, but who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

WeeBushy wrote: »
    There's a thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056254101

Latest from their Facebook page is:

I would imagine that they have got the more complicated part of the project out of the way that would be most likely to cause delays, so that announcement would be fairly accurate I'd say, but who knows...

Just in time for me to leave UCD forever after paying 750 euro out of my own pocket towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

During orientation we were told to tell the first years it'd be open around Paddy's day. Don't know how true that is though... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

OSI wrote: »
    I remember starting in 2005 and being told it would be finished by the end of the year. Took them 4 years just to start.

My Dad said they were planning building a pool when he was in UCD!
    pljudge321 wrote: »
    Just in time for me to leave UCD forever after paying 750 euro out of my own pocket towards it.

Same, been paying for it for the last 6 years - almost a grand :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm hoping to see the following in the new centre-

A games room- With latest new games on 360, PS3, Wii and the classics as well
    A huge club room- For big gigs like Muse who will play there, top of the range speakers
    An aquarium- Take a break from one of your lectures and catch some fish ( not literally)
    A fancy italian restaruant where the staff suit up and there is a classically trained pianist, and sometimes accompanied by an orchestra
    A place to play Q-zar
    A room where you can kick back and get a massage, tension from exams, pop on over.
    A Fight Club room... this is to be found deep underground, but let's not talk about that.
    A bowling alley
    And finally, best for last, a zero-gravity room, because how cool would that be?!

Oh and a nap room for all you lazy tossers who constantly fall asleep.

If the above do not appear in the Student Centre, I will resign... I will then setup my own student centre with all the above... and lectures will never be the same again... cause they'lll be empty you know.

Advertisement