Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dung/slurry

• 13-01-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Anyone know when we can bring dung out to heap in fields, or spread slurry? We're in zone A so I think its the 15th, am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

You can spread slurry now, since midnight. Dunno about the dung date.;

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Yay i'm legal again!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Guys, whats this about zones? where can i see what zone im in?
    anyone got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

http://www.gouldings.ie/default.asp
    Click on recommendations tab and go to nitrates directive section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭zetor 4911

Some zones are allowed to spread slurry but this is on the condition that weather and ground conditions are suitable. So even though the date for spreading slurry is here this does not mean that slurry can be spread so be carefull.
    See nitrate regulations Part 4 sub section 18.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

whats the best time of the year to spread it. would now still be a bit too early. would it be better to wait until march? when would you get the most value out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whats the best time of the year to spread it. would now still be a bit too early. would it be better to wait until march? when would you get the most value out of it.

Best time to spread it is during the growing season - Early February in the south and east of the country, Mid March in parts of the West, North West and North. People spreading it at the moment are only spreading for 1 reason - tanks are full and they need to get rid of it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

reilig wrote: »
    Best time to spread it is during the growing season - Early February in the south and east of the country, Mid March in parts of the West, North West and North. People spreading it at the moment are only spreading for 1 reason - tanks are full and they need to get rid of it!

I reckon slurry spread now won't be wasted in zone A, soil temp is around 6-8C. Of course this could all change next week:eek:

Around here anyway N Tipp grass grew this winter. Some ppl would be better waiting to graze off long grass, then spread slurry on re-growth.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon slurry spread now won't be wasted in zone A, soil temp is around 6-8C. Of course this could all change next week:eek:

Around here anyway N Tipp grass grew this winter. Some ppl would be better waiting to graze off long grass, then spread slurry on re-growth.

Agreed. Our biggest problem is finding paddocks bare enough to spread it in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

easy for me to remember the date in our area, its my birthday:D16 th january, can think of nothing better than spreading slurry on that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

whelan1 wrote: »
    easy for me to remember the date in our area, its my birthday:D16 th january, can think of nothing better than spreading slurry on that day

Happy Birthday in advance;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

You need to get out more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Figerty wrote: »
    You need to get out more!

it,s giving monday dry,so uwill get out whelan1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Lads,

When is the best time of year to spread dung;
    If spread now will it sit on the surface & sour the grass?
    Would it be better at the back end & left to rot/fade in over the winter when stock are in slats?

CC

Advertisement