Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi disconnects

Options
  • 13-01-2012 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Another frustrated user of the Eircom Zyxel modem router here!

Every 20 mins my wifi disconnects for about 2-3 seconds. Reconnects automatically. While this is not a problem for surfing and email, it is very frustrating when playing online games.

I suspected it could be the rwauthentication timer or the group key timeout but the problem remains even after setting all times to the max value of 9999.

Any other suggestions? Every other Eircom user have this problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi all,

Another frustrated user of the Eircom Zyxel modem router here!

Every 20 mins my wifi disconnects for about 2-3 seconds. Reconnects automatically. While this is not a problem for surfing and email, it is very frustrating when playing online games.

I suspected it could be the rwauthentication timer or the group key timeout but the problem remains even after setting all times to the max value of 9999.

Any other suggestions? Every other Eircom user have this problem?

Thanks!

Hi Stainless_Steel ,

What gaming console are you connected to?

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Hi Mark,

I'm using a PC for gaming.

Also experiencing disconnects on iPhone and iPad.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tintin10

Thats a common issue with that modem, If you logon to your router(go to 192.168.1.254 in a browser), click on Network on the left then select wireless LAN, for the Zyxel modem which I presume your using you will see under common setup a series of 3 timers, this is the problem ,you cannot switch these off you can only maximize by setting each to 9999secs. However If you change your encryption type to Static WEP it will not use timers but obviously WEP is less secure than WPA.

I would also go to NAT below Wireless in the menu and set the max NAT firewall session per user to either 4096 or 2048, this will also stop disconnections.

Hi tintin,

As mentioned I already set the timers to 9999.

I may have to revert to WEP if the problem can't be solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tintin10

I would definitely try the NAT cause I used to use it for Xbox live, I found doing the following helped overall for gaming and general wifi:

-Maximise NAT sessions.
    -set the channel to channel selection(doesnt change channel) and also going to advanced setup in the wifi, and setting the 802.11 mode to G only.
    -Lowering the firewall.

I also ended up using WEP and to be honest it did work quite well but those modems are made with very cheap parts and the wireless is very poor and the firmware even worse,whoever thought of those re-auth timers wasnt of sound mind,so even though it will cost you money your nearly always better off buying a decent off the shelf modem.

• Advertisement

tintin10 wrote: »
    I would definitely try the NAT cause I used to use it for Xbox live, I found doing the following helped overall for gaming and general wifi:

-Maximise NAT sessions.
    -set the channel to channel selection(doesnt change channel) and also going to advanced setup in the wifi, and setting the 802.11 mode to G only.
    -Lowering the firewall.

I also ended up using WEP and to be honest it did work quite well but those modems are made with very cheap parts and the wireless is very poor and the firmware even worse,whoever thought of those re-auth timers wasnt of sound mind,so even though it will cost you money your nearly always better off buying a decent off the shelf modem.

Thanks for your help. I tried everything but still experiencing disconnects. So I went out and bought a new router and am flying away now.

Eircom, I understand that you are trying to minimise costs on these routers. But they are a ball of beep.

Advertisement