Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Harp" lager Brewery in Dundalk to close.

Options
  • 13-01-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Diageo has announced it is to invest €153m in a "brewing centre of excellence" at the Guinness brewery at St James's Gate in Dublin.
    However its breweries in Kilkenny and Dundalk, which employ around 100 workers, will close next year.
    The company announced its plans to centralise operations in Dublin in 2008 - today it confirmed that the Louth facility would close in July 2013 and the Kilkenny brewery in December 2013.
    Today's announcement follows a review of how Diageo "can best ensure the long term sustainability" of its brewing operations in Ireland.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0112/diageo.html

The smell of the hops brewing and the "lovely" smell flowing over the Dundalk area will be forever a memory come July 2013. :(

Thoughts/Memories.-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Was passing it earlier and thinking how much I'd miss the smell. Wonder what they'll do with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

End of an era.

Always enjoyed the hops smell going under the china bridge..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

MugMugs wrote: »
    Was passing it earlier and thinking how much I'd miss the smell. Wonder what they'll do with it :(

Apartments no doubt! Id love to see a micro brewery of some sort open up in it, though Diageo wouldnt let that happen:( Imagine McArdles Ale and Harp lager being brewed independently on Gallows Hill.....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Damn, and I was just thinking about how much I loved that smell the other day. Sad to see it go.

Can't imagine Apartments in there. Not for a long time yet. Would be a shame too see it turned into anything else. Sure Cooley Distilleries are looking for more room. There's a nice central spot for them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Was that not originally the Macardle Moore brewery, I ask only as that would have a lot more heritage than "Harp".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

A sad and worrying time for the workers im sure, no loss to me though, I hated the stuff.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Was that not originally the Macardle Moore brewery, I ask only as that would have a lot more heritage than "Harp".

Technically its the great Northern Brewery. Assume McCardle Moore was pre 1950?

No Macardles was on the Ardee Rd at Cambrickville. Much more heritage! not that that mattered to Diageo. Windigo other brews are produced by the GNB for example Carlsberg, Sapparo among others. Since 1990 Harp 'celebration brew' became very similar in recipie to Carlsberg. I have seen publicans run out of Carlsberg and stick on a Harp keg - not one noticed! Harp got a rep for being full of chemicals and gave a roaring hangover hence the change to the brew. The Nordies couldnt get enough of it and you wouldnt see it on sale south of Kildare..odd.

Is that brewery demolished nesta?

• Advertisement

Nope it is a small retail type place although i'm sure some of it is gone. Various shop units/businesses are in parts of the old buildings. If you look accross the road from the garage on the Ardee Rd you can see the old Macardle house - i'm sure some of it has preservation orders.

If interested pop in to the County Museum, a small exhibition opened recently on Macardle Moore, free entry and as a beside the museum building used to be a Distillery hence Distillery Lane beside it.

Cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Thats an awful shame . More jobs lost ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I live on the Ardee Road myself beside Macardles. Mam worked in Harp until shortly after I was born too, my Uncle retired from it a few years back. Huge part of my life just having it there. I also walk my dog up around the fields behind Macardles.

Dundalk had a fine tradition of brewing and it'll be a real shame to see it finally leave.

Thats an awful shame . More jobs lost ...

55 jobs SL. But not is all lost ;) Am liking Trap and the boys more and more ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The giant grain silos en route to the brewery(pic courtesy of Paul Kavanagh)

Harp20101080web.jpg

That's a fantastic pic.

I remember all the power and phone lines over the approach roads having to be taken down when they were bringing in silos. All of us the Friary were glued to the fence bars to watch like hungry prisoners.

Where's that pic shot ?

Around by the Garda Barracks/Friary Church

• Advertisement

Ah I see it now. That's a print the pic and stick up in the toilet job.

Grain Silos? I thought they were storage vats for the beer lol - ah sure twas a nice thought:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

carlsberg is not a patch on harp. in fairnes it was probably the labour costs that were the last straw.

...'And Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you' ;)

carlsberg is not a patch on harp. in fairnes it was probably the labour costs that were the last straw.

What? It's piss. Utter piss. Proud as hell it does so well abroad but I wouldn't feed it to my worst enemy.

Carlsberg is the worst of the worst. I wouldn't drink Harp either, but I'd rather it to that ditch water Carlsberg any day.

In the Beer v Beer stakes as stated in the two posts above,this is my opinion:

I'm a fecker LOL.I will drink anything and everything and have(in 22 years a-beering)never settled on 'THEE' one beer.
    I'm not fussy,call me cantankerous and say i have no taste buds if you want, but as long as there is some alcohol in the jug and there is a foamy head on the top then i think you will find that i am grand with whatever slosh you give me.:D

Don't get me wrong - any port in a storm and all that. But where there's a choice of lagers and it's limited to Carslberg, Bud, Coors and Harp it'd have to be Harp.

Under ideal circumstances it's Guinness or german/czech pilsner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Anyone know when the gates finally close? I think it might be this week.

Shame on those behind the closure - highly efficient and profitable brewery but not good enough for the greedy men in suits who always want more

Good look to all the workers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

30th of September, I served my apprenticeship there, sad to see the place go.

Advertisement