Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FBI release file on Ol' Dirty Bastard...

• 13-01-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Wu-Tang Clan's Ol' Dirty Bastard was "heavily involved" in "murder, car-jackings … and the sale of drugs [and] illegal guns", according to a newly released FBI report. The FBI's 93-page file on ODB, revealed in a Freedom of Information request, connects the rapper with a litany of serious crimes in the late 80s and 90s.

The documents were obtained by Rich Jones of the Gun.io blog, who filed a formal request for information on Russell Tyrone Jones, aka Ol' Dirty Bastard, who died of an accidental drug overdose in 2004. It took the FBI less than a week to respond with its file, consisting of redacted police reports, court proceedings and news clippings. All have been posted online.

According to these papers, Ol' Dirty Bastard was arrested more than 15 times on charges that ranged from resisting arrest to injuring a child, as well as assault, the attempted murder of a police officer, refusing to pay child support and the illegal possession of body armour. It connects him with the Bloods gang and at least two murders, but also describes occasions that ODB was robbed at gunpoint in his own home. "There was an indication that the [thieves] were current or former [music] industry insiders who had banded together to commit the robberies," an officer explained.

Furthermore, Wu-Tang Clan are portrayed as a criminal organisation, co-ordinating drug-deals and homicides – sometimes with musical rewards. "Once individuals have proved themselves as good and loyal members," officers claimed, "they are offered record contracts to record Rap type music." In 2000, Wu-Tang Clan were apparently under investigation by NYPD's violent crimes/gangs squad, the US Attorney's office, a Staten Island detectives unit and the Richmond county district attorney.

The FBI's ODB file will certainly be of interest to the rest of Wu-Tang Clan, who are still making music. A Raekwon biopic is in the works and RZA recently unveiled plans for a film about ODB, starring either Tracy Morgan or Eddie Griffin. "I signed on, of course," he said. "[They] got my blessin' to make it happen."

LINK

LOL @ "Rap type music."

Some of the comments on the article are hilarious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

ODB was usually too out of it to turn up to gigs, do recording sessions or rap or write coherent lyrics. Which is why Im a bit mystified as to whether he would be mentally capable of running a major drug dealing gang tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Gyalist wrote: »

Some of the comments on the article are hilarious.

OSLov:

"Ol' Dirty Bastard may have been a nasty piece of work, but he had a wonderful appreciation of the use of the apostrophe and so should be commended."

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Easily the most bad ass wu tang member goin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

CiaranMT wrote: »
    OSLov:

"Ol' Dirty Bastard may have been a nasty piece of work, but he had a wonderful appreciation of the use of the apostrophe and so should be commended."

:pac:

That was my favourite.

Can't say I remember what the Wu were like at their peak because I was still watching Dustin and Socky on the Den, but it doesn't really surprise me that they are linked heavily with drugs. The murders might be a bit much but there's only so much of their musical content that could have been made up. Some of it has to be from experience as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

ODB was usually too out of it to turn up to gigs, do recording sessions or rap or write coherent lyrics. Which is why Im a bit mystified as to whether he would be mentally capable of running a major drug dealing gang tbh.

They were low-level dealers. The FBI report is overstating the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

This is an interesting part from "The Story of the WTC". Shows a bit of insight into ODB's personality and not just his public image. 51 mins in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Gyalist wrote: »
    They were low-level dealers. The FBI report is overstating the situation.

How can you be sure?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Easily the most bad ass wu tang member goin

But he's not going. He died man.

Anyway, here is the Wu mix I did when I heard about these files being released:
    http://www.mixcloud.com/iamstop/passion-of-the-crates-wu-tang-special-12th-jan-2012/

iamstop wrote: »
    But he's not going. He died man.

Anyway, here is the Wu mix I did when I heard about these files being released:
    http://www.mixcloud.com/iamstop/passion-of-the-crates-wu-tang-special-12th-jan-2012/

I know he's dead :rolleyes: he was my favourite member, it's a figure of speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

DullOfMan:

"The single greatest lyric of all time can be attributed to ODB.

"I don't have no trouble with you f**kin' me,
    but I have a little problem with you not f**kin' me."

Words to live by, ladies and gentlemen."

So true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

so he was defiantly called ODB for a reason :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

haha my favourite is "I'll be sticking pins in your head like a ****ing nurse" makes me lol every now and again.

No my favourite would have to be "you can call me dirty, and then lift up yo skirt" :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

"Here I go, deep type flow/Jacques Cousteau could never get this low"

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

"Yo, you niggaz, niggaz be actin like
    They be lovin them, them them fancy bitches
    I, I likes me a nasty bitch
    Bitch that's willing to do anything at any given time
    Bitch gotta be nasty cuz I'm a nasty nigga
    I do anything baby, I wouldn't give a **** what it was
    I'll, ah, anything - I'm a nasty mother****er girl"

Also

"If I got a problem, a problem got a problem until it's gone.
    I'm the only Unique Ason"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

I find it hard to believe , this all coming from the same FBI that had Pac and Biggie Murdered,

baddebt wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe , this all coming from the same FBI that had Pac and Biggie Murdered,

That's just a conspiracy theory, there's no proof of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

You say that as if it's fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

nick broomfield has plenty of evidence to prove collusion between LAPD(with FBI knowledge) and suge knight.

google nick broomfield and watch the documentary

nick broomfield has plenty of evidence to prove collusion between LAPD(with FBI knowledge) and suge knight.

google nick broomfield and watch the documentary

Saw it a good few times, in no way does he say the FBI were behind it, he says it all came down to suge and the LAPD, and even then these are just theories, me, you, nick broomfield, don't know who shot tupac only the killer does and thats how it's going to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

I remember a while back when the book "The Wu-Tang Manual" was released it had various stories about each member. There was a story about ODB being stuck up by a bloke with a shotgun and ODB, apparently, just grabbed it off him and pointed it right back at him.

I also remember a documentary (could be the one posted in this thread) where ODB's cousin described him as the nicest person on the planet. And that his craziness was nothing more than a persona. He said that ODB was scared ****less that time he went to jail. I even remember him saying that ODB set himself on fire in an attempt to get out of the general population part of the prison.

RZA said he bought ODB a bulletproof suit (yes, a suit), suitcase and a 9 ton bombproof truck in the early years because he feared that feds were out to kill him.

Honestly, I don't know what to think of ODB.

Rae and Ghost were known as being quite adept dealers. And I would not be surprised if some of them were very high up the chain at some stage. There may be a reason that the Wu rarely get disrespected by fellow artists; it may be because they're respected, or it may be because they're simply dodgy bastards.

Also, in that book, RZA outlines how he was followed, watched and kept under surveillance for many years by the FBI because he was allegedly involved in a large gun-running operation with the Gambino crime family. He admitted that he knew many mob associates, but he said quite clearly that "Why would I risk my livelihood gun-running with the mob when I make millions off music? It makes no sense."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Doesnt strike me as a criminal mastermind :pac:

Advertisement