Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler pup

• 13-01-2012 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

hi,
    I have 3 dogs, a GSD, a JRT and a Rottweiler.

The Rotti is 6 and starting to getting old. I got her from someone who had to move when she was 3 and they had trained her very well.

I would never have taken a Rotti as they weren't my most favourite of breeds, but she has changed my mind.

She is the best dog i've ever had, lazy as sin, would eat all around her and just loves being with you.

I will be lost without her and have being thinking of the future already.
    Would it be a good idea to get a rotti pup now and have it with my current rotti for the last couple of years she'll be around.

Is it silly of me to think some of the good behaviour of my current dog would help towards the placid training of a new dog. I haven't any experience of young rottweillers so would it be best to just stay away from the breed if i think i would just mess up it's training and make it vicious.

I would be putting a lot of research into the breeding lines before buying as i know this can determine the temper.

What u think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

boodee wrote: »
    hi,
    I have 3 dogs, a GSD, a JRT and a Rottweiler.

The Rotti is 6 and starting to getting old. I got her from someone who had to move when she was 3 and they had trained her very well.

I would never have taken a Rotti as they weren't my most favourite of breeds, but she has changed my mind.

She is the best dog i've ever had, lazy as sin, would eat all around her and just loves being with you.

I will be lost without her and have being thinking of the future already.
    Would it be a good idea to get a rotti pup now and have it with my current rotti for the last couple of years she'll be around.

Is it silly of me to think some of the good behaviour of my current dog would help towards the placid training of a new dog. I haven't any experience of young rottweillers so would it be best to just stay away from the breed if i think i would just mess up it's training and make it vicious.

I would be putting a lot of research into the breeding lines before buying as i know this can determine the temper.

What u think?

Ah come on Boodee you dont really think your going to make a pup vicious do you???

I have two rotties now, Buddy is now almost 17mths and Izzy almost 6mths. The worst Buddy would lick the face off ya and Izzy is learning all of his ways.

Look plain and simple each and every dog is different, but what better way can they learn than from their own? When I was looking to get Izzy I knew she had some of the best European show breeding lines which are currently in this country for the breed.

Her first day home at 8 1/2 weeks old she came in said the hello's to Buddy who was hyper as hell and then she was tired. She went for a snooze... Buddy being his silly self went to say "hey get up and play more", Izzy without hesitation almost took the head off him, that was the first of many until Buddy realised dont go near Izzy when she's sleeping. Switch it over Buddy snoring his head off Izzy from her first day home and still now jumps all over him, Buddy's reaction - he lies there and the expression tells it all "go away please!!" He has only ever snapped once at her, when play fighting/messing she bit him too hard, wel she has never ran so fast!! :p
    Buddy from day one has always loved, now I mean really loved to face kiss other dogs(i've even posted him doing this to Izzy) and he loves licking my face and everyone elses too, Izzy on the other hand is not into giving kisses(licks) on the face to me or my oh.(or anyone really)

When we are out walking Buddy loves all the attention, Izzy is more stand-offish than him, she still loves rubs and that but I can see the total difference in mentality from the breeding lines alone. Buddy parents and grand parents were all pets, only his mother was shown a handfull of times, and you have to go a little further back to get to the good show dog line. Izzy however comes from a long long line of European show dogs which have generally been involved in Schutzhund as well as ring training. Both parents both grand parents and on and on have all been shown. This would change the mentality of the pup in comparison to a pup who comes from a long line of just normal pets.
    My point however long it took me to get it out your new pup should you choose to get him/her will learn from your existing rottie to chill out if someone wakes him/her from a sleep, not bite too hard when playing, to be a more approachable friendly dog and to mirror what the older dog has done and is doing!!
    (BUT ALL DOGS ARE DIFFERENT)

If all or any of that makes sense then you will get my point :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭boodee

yep....
    I get your point, have you always had rotties, I just see some threads on bite training, be it for actually security training or to stop them biting I don't know. I don't encourage mouthing and dont allow the gsd to do it but my jrt is a little terrror. She actually bullies the gsd.

Where do you suggest I start looking for a pup and do I go for a a line more affiliated with showing. OR does it even matter.

My german shepherd is from showlines. He's so placid and quiet but thick as sh*t.

I am having trouble with my 6 year old. her nose and the outter lining of her mouth went white. After some vet visits she's on steroids. They havent done much for her nose except make her so thirsty she now sometimes wees inside at night. In fairness she does try and wake me up but I don't always hear her.

Advertisement