Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

starting to Farm 40 acres. All advice appreciated

• 13-01-2012 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,

its been over ten years since my family have part-time farmed and since the the land has been let out. This March we are taking it back and im thinking of buyin a few heifer calves. I have a full time job working shifts and i would like to have something else going for me. Parents are retired so my father could cover when im not there.

We have approx 40 acres which includes a few acres for mowing giving us approx 28 round bales. With cattle going fairly well im just wondering what yee experienced farmers would do in my position. what would yee go for and what kinda numbers?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

maybe buy a few pedegree heifers small no's better return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

better return, but bigger risk imho.

start off small and simple, dont borrow money to start up, dont try and grow too fast.

consider renting some of the ground for a few more years. the additional cash flow will be nice while you get yourself up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

JohnBoy wrote: »
    better return, but bigger risk imho.

start off small and simple, dont borrow money to start up, dont try and grow too fast.

consider renting some of the ground for a few more years. the additional cash flow will be nice while you get yourself up and running.

That is great advice! Certainly better than trying to stock it all straight away, or manuring grass to try to sell as silage/hay.
    Start small, build up slowly. If you rent some to a decent local, he will help you as time goes on...usually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

If you're going to run it yourself, pay attention to fencing, gates, handling facilities etc. Don't scimp on them, proper fittings all round will pay off time and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Good loser

Ten Friesian bull calves would be a good start.

Spread them out and get a thermometer for pneumonia - also an antibiotic.

Feed milk powder in a JFC feeder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Good loser wrote: »

You will put him off farming for life:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Good loser wrote: »

good loser alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mayowillie

Yeah, I think you could buy fresian bull calves as suggested above out in the month of March, maybe 10 or 12 - a low investment. Feed milk replacer, Procalf is best, buy them at 3-4 weeks old and try and buy them of the one farmer - a local preferably and you can get tips of him as to how to feed them (buckets or JFC feeder). If you have no facilities to hold them over the winter, sell them again before November. Worst case scenario, you shouldn't lose any money. Next year, with a bit of experience behind you, you could move upmarket a bit, say Aberdeen Angus bulls or heifers, that would give you a better return, but use the first year as a learning experience, with your L plates up. And don't take it too seriously if a few of them snuff it. I'm at it 20 years, and it's still happening to me, and it'll happen for another 20 - if I'm still in it then.

Get a bottle of Baytril - if you see one of them off form, give them 4mls underneath the skin behind their front shoulder, it takes about 3 or 4 hours to work. As for the milk replacer, heat the water to 38 degrees before mixing the powder, and don't pay too much heed to the amounts it says on the bag - you'll definitely kill them by overfeeding them, but not by underfeeding them. Anyways, the sooner they build up a bit of hunger, they'll start nibbling at the meal for you, and you're away with it then.

That's what I did 20 years ago.

PS Don't buy Holsteins or Jersey Cross, buy British Fresian bull calves - Holsteins are too narrow and it's very hard to make anything out of them.

Hope this helps - best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Good loser

mayowillie wrote: »
    Yeah, I think you could buy fresian bull calves as suggested above out in the month of March, maybe 10 or 12 - a low investment. Feed milk replacer, Procalf is best, buy them at 3-4 weeks old and try and buy them of the one farmer - a local preferably and you can get tips of him as to how to feed them (buckets or JFC feeder). If you have no facilities to hold them over the winter, sell them again before November. Worst case scenario, you shouldn't lose any money. Next year, with a bit of experience behind you, you could move upmarket a bit, say Aberdeen Angus bulls or heifers, that would give you a better return, but use the first year as a learning experience, with your L plates up. And don't take it too seriously if a few of them snuff it. I'm at it 20 years, and it's still happening to me, and it'll happen for another 20 - if I'm still in it then.

Get a bottle of Baytril - if you see one of them off form, give them 4mls underneath the skin behind their front shoulder, it takes about 3 or 4 hours to work. As for the milk replacer, heat the water to 38 degrees before mixing the powder, and don't pay too much heed to the amounts it says on the bag - you'll definitely kill them by overfeeding them, but not by underfeeding them. Anyways, the sooner they build up a bit of hunger, they'll start nibbling at the meal for you, and you're away with it then.

That's what I did 20 years ago.

PS Don't buy Holsteins or Jersey Cross, buy British Fresian bull calves - Holsteins are too narrow and it's very hard to make anything out of them.

Hope this helps - best of luck to you.

Mayo wouldn't agree with that underfeeding bit. Some time back the Journal vet said many calves are underfed. I agree. It leaves them more open to infections and they go down quicker with pneumonia. Feed at least 3/4 pound once a day.

Another tip have electrolyte for scours.

Advertisement