Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards members you begrudgingly admire?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

3019 views on this thread.

How many read it to scan for your own username?

I know I did :(

Completely natural curiosity and maybe a splash of ego with a drizzle of introspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

mr MT Cranium. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Degsy wrote: »
    YOU dont know for sure that the earth isnt flat..you havnt been to space have you?

You're relying upon a widely held view without ever having proved it for yourself.
    I've seen plenty of real time evidence on youtube of things entering low orbit where you can clearly see the curvature of the planet, I'm also satisfied with the explanation of Mars unusual orbit as observed from earth further highlight orbits and the shape of planets. I'm satisfied that there is enough evidence that the world is spherical rather than flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

As annoying as it is to end all your posts with "cordially, Scofflaw", the guy's posts are usually fairly informative and well-reasoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

Nobody ever believed the world was flat anyway. It's a myth

• Advertisement

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    Nobody ever believed the world was flat anyway. It's a myth
    I'm sure they did, based on the fact the world looks flat from our viewpoint why would they think any different?

YOU dont know for sure that the earth isnt flat..you havnt been to space have you?

Absolutely correct. I have never been to the stratosphere or space.
    You're relying upon a widely held view

It's not a widely held view it's an observable fact backed up by solid evidence.
    without ever having proved it for yourself.

I don't need to prove that the Earth is round because science has already put that issue to bed with loads of proof.

Also, I could actually go out and prove it to myself with a bit of inexpensive equipment.
    Method

At the point chosen for all the experiments the river is a slow-flowing drainage canal running in an uninterrupted straight line for a six-mile stretch to the north-east of the village of Welney. The most famous of the observations, and the one that was taught in schools until photographs of the Earth from space became available, involved a set of three poles fixed at equal height above water level along this length. As the surface of the water was assumed to be level, the discovery that the middle pole, when viewed carefully through a theodolite, was almost three feet higher than the poles at each end was finally accepted as a new proof that the surface of the earth was indeed curved.

Bedford Level experiment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Consider this.

At one point it was common sense that the world was flat and indeed that was the (life) experience of everyone.

You're relying upon a widely held view without ever having proved it for yourself.

Horizon..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

<
    That one. Also Biggins, Liam Byrne and everyone that spelled begrudgingly correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Also, I could actually go out and prove it to myself with a bit of inexpensive equipment.

Likewise i can prove things i have opinions on with observable evidence..i dont make up wild stuff to upset the PC brigade who often seem to have little evidence themselves other than a deeply-held feeling of moral superiority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

WindSock wrote: »
    Begrudingly?
    squod wrote: »
    <
    That one. Also Biggins, Liam Byrne and everyone that spelled begrudgingly correctly.

:mad::mad::mad:

What if it's a typo? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

in fairness Degsy you sell yourself as mr right wing like it makes you mr common sense..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

RichieC wrote: »
    in fairness Degsy you sell yourself as mr right wing like it makes you mr common sense..

I know..there's no getting through to some people!

i dont make up wild stuff to upset the PC brigade who often seem to have little evidence themselves other than a deeply-held feeling of moral superiority.

My experiences of people who are accused of being in the PC brigade are ones of reasoned replies and difficult questions tbh.

Imho the term 'PC brigade' is a kind of catch all ad hominem used in an evasive fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i vote for the flut, and pighead because they have made me laugh out loud many times.

I'm not bright enough for the rest of ye....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Three people that immediately spring to mind are Dudess, Degsy and KeithAFC. All are consistent in their expressed beliefs despite all the arguments they're drawn into. I doubt Keith is ever actually sincere. So I admire him for his loyalty to the trolling cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I'm just glad that the bit I stand on is flat. How on God's earth ......... forget it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aside
    Consider this.

At one point it was common sense that the world was flat and indeed that was the (life) experience of everyone.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm sure they did, based on the fact the world looks flat from our viewpoint why would they think any different?
    Funny enough surprisingly few civilisations going way back thought the earth was flat. The earliest seafarers knew it wasn't. IIRC both the Greeks and the Babylonians tried to measure it. They undershot the value a bit. One reason Columbus reckoned he'd hit India going west and not an entire continent in the way. He certainly didn't think he'd fall off the edge anyway. /aside

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Three people that immediately spring to mind are Dudess, Degsy and KeithAFC. All are consistent in their expressed beliefs despite all the arguments they're drawn into. I doubt Keith is ever actually sincere. So I admire him for his loyalty to the trolling cause.

Oh ye of little faith..funny I never had trolling down as a cause, more an exploration in to insanity and then pushing that envelope till the wheels fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

not begrudingly but Dudess has a zero bullsh1t meter which is nice around these parts.

Liah, who closed her account, had many a heated debate and many agreements, a worthy foe and ally on some threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The PC brigade is a fictional group who are referenced when knob-heads run out of ways of presenting their ignorance as some sort of persecution.

Are they anything to the "High Horse Brigade" (Motors forum), or "The Bitters" (Soccer forum)?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you like nintendo, therefore I like you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

afrodub wrote: »
    Oh ye of little faith..funny I never had trolling down as a cause, more an exploration in to insanity and then pushing that envelope till the wheels fall off.

Well, describing it as a "cause" is more concise and convenient than that rambling nonsense.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aside

Funny enough surprisingly few civilisations going way back thought the earth was flat. The earliest seafarers knew it wasn't. IIRC both the Greeks and the Babylonians tried to measure it. They undershot the value a bit. One reason Columbus reckoned he'd hit India going west and not an entire continent in the way. He certainly didn't think he'd fall off the edge anyway. /aside
    This came up in some documentary and I can't remember the details, but it was more or less stating the same as I_am_LOST and yourself that the flat theory wasn't ever a matter of fact. I think the documentary was specific to an accusation against one particular group (may have been the Catholic church) thinking the earth was flat. I think it may have been called "the history of science"??

I just can't remember where the flat theory came out of, but I would have assumed most cultures thought it was flat until someone said otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The Internet Explorer because I get a funny image of an olde timey explorer with a telescopic telescope going exploring the internet every time I see it written down. Class username.

Also honourable mention for IwoudldridemyselfcozI'masexyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Pighead was my favourate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

As annoying as it is to end all your posts with "cordially, Scofflaw", the guy's posts are usually fairly informative and well-reasoned.

For whatever reason, this genuinely makes my blood boil.

I understand completely that it's ridiculous to be bothered by it............still...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Well, describing it as a "cause" is more concise and convenient than that rambling nonsense.

`Concise and convenient`..yes cause it is, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I just searched it instead, AH is a kip in annyways. I could'nt care less :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I suppose starbelgrade, mostly for his thankswhoring.

There's a very flies around shit vibe around his ability to get the first "witty" reply into a new thread in AH.

Advertisement