Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards members you begrudgingly admire?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I envy Ads by Google for having cool motorbike adventures in Vietnam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Zen65 - Misguided but a good debater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Are they anything to the "High Horse Brigade" (Motors forum), or "The Bitters" (Soccer forum)?

Never go into the soccer forum myself I have to say and don't have much experience of posting in motors but do lurk there the odd time.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny enough surprisingly few civilisations going way back thought the earth was flat.

That's something new I've learned today (common sense fail :pac:).

It would have been better if I'd used the Earth-as-Centre-of-Solar-System common sense idea instead of flat Earth.

Waits to be told nobody ever really believed that either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Not so much "begrudgingly" as "from a distance" :)

Dudess
    Frada
    Ickle Magoo
    Wibbs
    Krudler
    Starbelgrade
    LiamByrne
    Zen65
    Sharrow
    Bluewolf
    Chinafoot

Metrovelvet & Thaedydal before they closed their accounts

I'm sure there's a few more but I'm shít at remembering names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AngryPensioner

makethemansomeeggswoman

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Matthew8 in the US Politics forum. Disagree with all of his opinions but he stands by his principles.

Carlcon in the soccer forum. He's very opinionated and arrogant/confident but he's probably posted more than anyone in the fantasy football thread and he walks the walk too since he's leading the 1,000+ field in the boards.ie min-league.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's something new I've learned today (common sense fail :pac:).
    But it's not common sense to look at the flat ground and say to your self that it's more than likely a gigantic ball floating in nothingness. Although if your using other planets and stars as a reference that might be some clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

None of you's I just feel so stratapherically superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

ALL of you I`m a thanks addict :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ScumLord wrote: »
    But it's not common sense to look at the flat ground and say to your self that it's more than likely a gigantic ball floating in nothingness. Although if your using other planets and stars as a reference that might be some clue.

Good point.

Maybe the lads were talking about science-y people.. astronomers and the like.. who were hardly common.

"Common sense is not so common."
    Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Cordially,
    Scofflaw

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Peetrik wrote: »
    Zen65 - Misguided but a good debater

Be at peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

This is always going to be a list of popular posters who post a lot. Because clearly people would see them a lot.

Anyway, my vote ( in no way begrudgingly) goes to a poster who doesn't post that much any more but when she did ( and does) she was always well informed. She had a great outside view of Ireland too, and one which was well informed. As she was about most things.

Southside Rosie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

The original John Doe. He put up a good fight before I macheted the crap of him:cool:

Oh and Dudes, and Keith AFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Has to be Biggins. If only because I think he may actually be Admiral Adama and will be very disappointed if he turns out not to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Wibbs, himself, is not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't really begrudgingly admire anyone.. there's posters whose views I don't agree with and generally don't really like (at least how they portray themselves here), but I enjoy reading their posts for various reasons.. For example if they make me rethink my own position, or remind me of why it is that I am opposed to their own.

I'll not name any names because I've already said that I don't particularly like them, which could be taken up the wrong way! But those sort of posters are what make discussion forums worth while. If everyone liked or agreed with everybody else all of the time, then it'd make for one hell of a boring echo-chamber.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have to admit a liking for KeithAFC myself. TBH there are very very very few posters I'd think "oh no not that yahoo again" and a many more I'm glad to hear their thoughts on stuff. Even if I don't agree, especially if I don't agree in a lot of cases. I learn more that way. It would be a lot easier to list the latter, though I'd be typing all night and still leave people out.

It would have been better if I'd used the Earth-as-Centre-of-Solar-System common sense idea instead of flat Earth.

Waits to be told nobody ever really believed that either.
    Naw CS AFAIR that was pretty much a given with the exception of a few lone voices(again mostly Greek) who thought as we did later on, or at least suspected earth in the centre as being a bit suss. Being the center seems a lot more logical(than a flat earth anyway) and on first cursory glance works well enough, though planets going retrograde in the night sky kinda screws with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

None of you.

Biggins and Duddess I genuine like, but the rest of yiz are ****.

There.

I said it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

In the world of 'thanks whoring' the 2 biggest slags are starbelgrade and Mikom

Starbelgrade is like a street walker- will jump in any thread for a quick thanks
    Mikom is like a high class hooker- picks and chooses his threads for for massive thanks pay offs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I'll go for Biggins. Generally well thought out. I'd buy him a pint .......... and then I could drink the two. :) Mathepac (extremely knowledgable) would come in the reckoning also - eventhough he posts in Brendan's somewhat downmarket and very PC toy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

There's a few people I'd kind of admire (but they'll remain unnamed). But as for 'begrudgingly admire', as in I disagree with a lot of what they say but respect them none the less, the first names that would spring to mind would be Antiskeptic, Philologos and Sharrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Wibbs wrote: »
    Have to admit a liking for KeithAFC myself. TBH there are very very very few posters I'd think "oh no not that yahoo again" and a many more I'm glad to hear their thoughts on stuff. Even if I don't agree, especially if I don't agree in a lot of cases. I learn more that way. It would be a lot easier to list the latter, though I'd be typing all night and still leave people out.

Naw CS AFAIR that was pretty much a given with the exception of a few lone voices(again mostly Greek) who thought as we did later on, or at least suspected earth in the centre as being a bit suss. Being the center seems a lot more logical(than a flat earth anyway) and on first cursory glance works well enough, though planets going retrograde in the night sky kinda screws with it.

Have to say Keith myself.....he livens up many a thread.I could easily see me having a Guinness and himself drinking that Scottish McEwans piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I don't admire anyone begrudgingly. If I go so far as to admire them, I do it willingly and happily. It may take me some time to change my opinion and come to admire them, but once that journey is made my admiration is freely given.

As an aside, one of the things really like about boards is that the diversity of topics means you can have a barney with someone in a forum and disagree vehemently with their opinion, then find yourself on the same side two forums over and suddenly see them as a different person, with more to like and admire about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Is nobody going to admire me, no? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

After over 14,000 posts you'd think somebody would have taken a shine to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

After over 14,000 posts you'd think somebody would have taken a shine to you!

i've had my fair share of admirers / creeps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Maybe nobody begrudgingly likes you but I'm sure you're admired in a non-bregrudginglgkjgkldjgk* way

*Sorry I got annoyed at typing that word :o :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Bends over, spreads cheeks, waits for brown nose.:p

Advertisement