Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need to do the MSAP test?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 4:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Im applying now for bachelor of commerce, and also psychology.

Do I need to do this MSAP thing just found out about it now :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Danny911

:o !?!

Just read the mature students handbook and about the aptitude test for my first and second choices .. says: In addition, an aptitude
    for Mathematics (normally Leaving Certificate
    ordinary level) is required.

I haven't done maths properly in exam form since my Junior Cert, in which I passed - Barely... So I know on this part I am totally screwed.

should I just forget about it altogether? Or in the personal statement they require along with CAO just tell them this?

Maths was never my strong point, and probably now would be my weakest at them as I havent sat down and done them in a very long time....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I've merged your two threads Danny911.
    Paperclip2

If you are applying to Arts courses in UCC, UCD, or NUI Galway then yes you will need MSAP.

http://msap.acer.edu.au/
    Mature Students Admissions Pathway
    Welcome to the Mature Students Admissions Pathway (MSAP) website. This site is for people who are applying to the following tertiary institutions:

• University College, Cork
    The College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences

• University College, Dublin
    The College of Arts and Celtic Studies and College of Human Sciences

• National University of Ireland, Galway
    The College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies

Congratulations on your decision to undertake further study. Don't allow the idea of taking a test worry you too much - all applicants are in the same situation. Please carefully read the information on this website to learn about MSAP, and what is involved with registering and sitting for the test.

The admissions office of the college can clarify if the courses you are applying for require an MSAP.

RE Maths query. The college may not be saying that you need an LC maths qualification but that you need the ability to complete an Ord Level LC Maths programme, basically that your maths should be at that standard. It's there for a reason, if your Maths ability is below this level then you may struggle on the course.

If you really feel you dont have the required standard for the course you could look into doing the college Access for Mature Students course before you apply:http://www.nuigalway.ie/access/mature_student.html

Ok, well I've applied anyway and no doubt won't do very good on the aptitude test, and will most likely have to do this access course.

Maybe I should have looked into it alot more before applying :/:(

also when does the access course start? and can I apply for a course while on the access course before the CAO closing date of next year and send the results of the course late? or how would that work...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Danny911 wrote: »
    also when does the access course start? and can I apply for a course while on the access course before the CAO closing date of next year and send the results of the course late? or how would that work...

Thanks

You would have to check with NUI Galway regarding the closing date for application for the access programmes and it is possible to apply for a degree while you are studying on the access course.
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement