Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Part-Baked Rolls...tried it?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I'm an avid baker and bake all the bread for our family. We are having some house guests and would like to have a good deal of stuff prepared for when they come so I'm not cooking like a mad thing the whole time. So got to thinking about that part-baked bread that you get in the supermarket- you know the kind that you just pop in the oven for 10mins or so to get fresh bread. Anyone tried this at home? I can't imagine it would work with a loaf as it would probably just get doughy in the middle but maybe with rolls? Would be so handy to have the fridge/freezer stocked with these. Any tips/opinions/willing guinea pigs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I always use these. They are great - but are usually cooked in less time then it says on the packet. It was my mother that put me onto them. She always uses them.

They are not too doughy inside, and great for times you are too lazy to go to the shop!

The ciabatta ones are really nice (although more square shaped roll then ciabatta)

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I especially like the Cuisine de France Petit Pain. Fresh out of the oven they are a great accompaniment to a meal.

I especially like them with spaghetti bolognaise. Three or four diagonal cuts across the top and a knob of garlic butter in each cut, heaven...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

From your use of the term DIY, do you mean par-cooking rolls yourself and freezing them. If so, its a great idea, I do it all the time.

I make yeast bread rolls and just slightly undercook them, let them cool and freeze.

When you want them, defrost and stick in the oven to finish off.

You can completely cook them and just defrost them on the slowest setting in the microwave, but finishing them off in the oven is much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

huskerdu wrote: »
    I make yeast bread rolls and just slightly undercook them, let them cool and freeze.

I never thought of that! I usually just bake all of them (and end up wasting some). Thanks for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

huskerdu wrote: »
    From your use of the term DIY, do you mean par-cooking rolls yourself and freezing them. If so, its a great idea, I do it all the time.

When you want them, defrost and stick in the oven to finish off.

You can completely cook them and just defrost them on the slowest setting in the microwave, but finishing them off in the oven is much better.

yes! this is exactly what I was hoping to do, just wasn't sure how it would turn out. My only fear would be that they would turn out doughy on the inside. About how long do you bake them for? I am going to do some experimentation today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement