Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot setup Winows Media Centre Xbox 360

Options
  • 13-01-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I have a Windows 7 client trying to connect to Windows Media Centre and get the following error in my Event Viewer:

Windows cannot copy file \\?\C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\SQM\iesqmdata_setup0.sqm to location \\?\C:\Users\Mcx1-IEDUBNB002\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\SQM\iesqmdata_setup0.sqm. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

I've googled other errors and have tried all the suggestions.

I get the following on screen error:

"An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this extender."

Can anyone assist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

It's because you don't have persmission to carry out that copy. Are you the admin on the system?

The extender didn't work because it need permission first, try, right click on the program, and select "run as admin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's because you don't have persmission to carry out that copy. Are you the admin on the system?

The extender didn't work because it need permission first, try, right click on the program, and select "run as admin"

Also states "network problems" so could be the firewall\anti virus blocking it.

Make sure it's not being blocked by windows firewall or add an exception yourself.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/542-windows-firewall-add-remove-exception.html

I'm stating this because I've noticed with the new 2012 AVG Free the firewall will block everything. Even shared printers and devices. Had to set it from "directly connected" to "home office".

chin_grin wrote: »
    Also states "network problems" so could be the firewall\anti virus blocking it.

Make sure it's not being blocked by windows firewall or add an exception yourself.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/542-windows-firewall-add-remove-exception.html

True dat, At OP, try both and get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Thanks Lads, the user I ran it as is a local admin, but will try 'Run as admin'.

I tried entering Firewall exceptions, and then turned off the Firewall altogether -same result.

I have McAfee AV (no firewall) and didn't notice any exceptions.

Will post this evening when I get home.

niallo32 wrote: »
    Thanks Lads, the user I ran it as is a local admin, but will try 'Run as admin'.

I tried entering Firewall exceptions, and then turned off the Firewall altogether -same result.

I have McAfee AV (no firewall) and didn't notice any exceptions.

Will post this evening when I get home.

As a workaround (only do this when all else fails) I'd highly recommend using PS3 Media Server. I know, don't let the name fool you but it works a charm on the 360.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

• Advertisement

Yup, i back up the ps3 media server idea. It works really well on my 360.

Thanks lads I'll try that if all fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

chin_grin wrote: »
    As a workaround (only do this when all else fails) I'd highly recommend using PS3 Media Server. I know, don't let the name fool you but it works a charm on the 360.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/
    Id recommend Tversity over PS3 media server, It seems to be a bit picky with MKV's

Tried 'Run as admin' same error in the program and same error in the Event Log.

Have installed the PS3 but it's not finding any 'renderer' at the moment. Will have a good crack at it after dinner.

niallo32 wrote: »
    Tried 'Run as admin' same error in the program and same error in the Event Log.

Have installed the PS3 but it's not finding any 'renderer' at the moment. Will have a good crack at it after dinner.

Well then I'd say it's either a firewall or anti virus issue. Blocking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 hippystabber

prepare to be board . . i was having major problems with connecting my xbox and laptop through windows media centre i would get so far try to add extender and it would say my windows firewall or router was not exepting it . . i tried everything so the only thing i could do was delete my windows sharing centre and reinstall. . however you cant just simply re-install because there is no download links for it so i had to restore my computer to two days ago (not factory reset) and then my anti virus kicked in and told me it was un-allowing me to reinstall my windows media centre. . . so i had to unistall my anti-virus (kaspersky) reinstall windows media centre reinstall anti-virus . . . thus my friend my extender was finallay added . . . this is the short version!! hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

prepare to be board . . i was having major problems with connecting my xbox and laptop through windows media centre i would get so far try to add extender and it would say my windows firewall or router was not exepting it . . i tried everything so the only thing i could do was delete my windows sharing centre and reinstall. . however you cant just simply re-install because there is no download links for it so i had to restore my computer to two days ago (not factory reset) and then my anti virus kicked in and told me it was un-allowing me to reinstall my windows media centre. . . so i had to unistall my anti-virus (kaspersky) reinstall windows media centre reinstall anti-virus . . . thus my friend my extender was finallay added . . . this is the short version!! hope this helps

Why would you use Kaspersky when Comodo Internet Security is free and without doubt the most bullet proof system out there?

Never had an issue with Comodo and WMC and I'm running it on laptops, a PC and four 360's as extenders!

Advertisement