Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry Street incident yesterday

• 13-01-2012 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭

Mad stuff!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-use-taser-gun-to-overpower-grandfather-holding-knife-2988061.html

By Barry Duggan
    Friday January 13 2012
    A TASER gun was used to overpower a grandfather who was brandishing a large knife in broad daylight in the middle of a busy street.

The 52-year-old man -- who had been recently released from prison -- had refused to surrender to gardai in Limerick city yesterday after they initially pepper-sprayed him.

The drama unfolded on Upper Henry Street in Limerick city yesterday afternoon around 3pm.

Pedestrians and workers in nearby offices watched as uniformed gardai, detectives, and members of the Regional Support Unit attempted to get the man to put down the knife, but he refused to do so.

He was then pepper-sprayed by an officer.

However, the grandfather continued to brandish the knife at officers and a member of the Regional Support Unit then fired a taser shot at the man. He was struck in the chest and immediately dropped to the ground.

The man was later medically treated and brought to Henry Street garda station where he remained last night.

He was previously jailed for six years following a gun attack in Limerick in 2005. Two other men were also convicted and jailed for the same attack.

The victim -- who survived -- was shot three times in the chest and neck with a pump-action shotgun.

- Barry Duggan

Irish Independent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I love the way they keep calling him a grandfather like he was a feeble old man that the gardai struggled to take down. 52 is not that old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

All it says was that he had a knife in his hand? He could have simply been making a cheese sandwich FFS???

- Seriously though, I wonder what the sentence for shooting people with pump action shotguns is in civilised countries that have actual working justice systems? 6 years seems like it says "ah sure, frenzied shotgun attacks, that could happen to anyone, go on ya old rogue......"

True about the Grandfather bit jofspring - Does Barry Duggan routinely run up to the recently tasered and semi-conscious to shout "do you have a child who has a child?" before running of to scribble his breathless paragraphs?

Where does this headline personalisation end?

"Man who once had tonsillitis and Now thats what I call music 12 tasered due to making cheese sandwich"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Bah, why do I miss all the entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Watch the usuals go mad about the gardai using over powering force and eventually there will be a tribunal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Jofspring wrote: »
    I love the way they keep calling him a grandfather like he was a feeble old man that the gardai struggled to take down. 52 is not that old.

He was probably a grandad at 30 :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fair play to the Gardai for stopping him. Tough shyte on the guy if he ends up complaining about being tasered. Normal people don't go around on a main street carrying knives and having standoffs with the Gardai.

Just out of prison after being put away for involment in shooting another person, and the scumbag decides that he can take a knife for a walk.

No doubt he will have some free legal aid solicitor whinging on his behalf about how he was badly treated by the Gardai, whilst totally ignoring the fact that the criminal thought it fine to threaten the same gardai with a knife.

Seems pretty obvious that his six years in prison for having and using a weapon in public had no effect on his scumbag mentality, so he should be put back in prison again to keep him away from normal people who don't feel the need to carry weapons and use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Recently released from prision and now looking to go back in. No wonder he would when he can have a free roof over his head, 3 square meals a day, a games room and a gym. 5 star stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Jofspring wrote: »

My Dad's older ffs.

Strange that they could find that he's a grandfather but couldn't take the time to catch his name...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

CiaranMT wrote: »
    My Dad's older ffs.

Strange that they could find that he's a grandfather but couldn't take the time to catch his name...

There was probably a 20 year old nearby shouting "G'wan Grandad, hit'em a slap"

Dammit I work on Henry Street. If I had taken a later lunch I'd have seen all the commotion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Flincher wrote: »
    There was probably a 20 year old nearby shouting "G'wan Grandad, hit'em a slap"

Dammit I work on Henry Street. If I had taken a later lunch I'd have seen all the commotion

A 20 year old!!!.....nah!.....given the prolific breeding habits of scummerati dirtbaggus cunntanahaff I'd venture our knife-wielding hero could then easily claim the title of great-grandfather. (Probably will be soon enough though :( - god bless our SW system).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think the man's name was given on the news on local radio this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Anyone we know?

ʘ‿ʘ

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Is it this guy? :rolleyes:

Never know taking "The Independent" style of reporting into account!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So who wants gory details??

The tattoo studio i work in has a facebook page, his daughter is "friends" with us. She posted yesterday that he had stabbed her, obviously a lie after reading that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Melion wrote: »

Me please! I love gory details. Hate scumbags, and am a firm believer that
    Limerick needs a Batman.

~B

Well his daugher is 23, with 5 kids

The tattoo studio i work in has a facebook page, his daughter is "friends" with us. She posted yesterday that he had stabbed her, obviously a lie after reading that.

You a tattooist or piercer? If you are R N, then you touched up some of my ink for me in the past.

Nuts that the guy's daughter was on facebook claiming to have been stabbed. Sounds like a great family.

Kess73 wrote: »
    You a tattooist or piercer? If you are R N, then you touched up some of my ink for me in the past.

Nuts that the guy's daughter was on facebook claiming to have been stabbed. Sounds like a great family.

Apprentice tattooist :)
    I wish i was at the level of R N :D

• Advertisement

Apprentice tattooist :)
    I wish i was at the level of R N :D

I used him for touching up and/or filling in colours. I think that for excellent use of colour or for anything oriental in nature R N is top notch. For anything really detailed I go down to Tattoo Zoo in Cork. Some ridiculous talent down there especially Connie.

Anything new on the facebook page with regards to knife man or his daughter?

Kess73 wrote: »
    I used him for touching up and/or filling in colours. I think that for excellent use of colour or for anything oriental in nature R N is top notch. For anything really detailed I go down to Tattoo Zoo in Cork. Some ridiculous talent down there especially Connie.

Anything new on the facebook page with regards to knife man or his daughter?

Nope, she deleted the post about being stabbed funnily enough. She had a status up the day before saying how cool her "dada" is, he's 53 asking for one of her friends phone numbers. Then a few pics of them drinking. A lovely family by the looks of the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

bazz26 wrote: »
    Recently released from prision and now looking to go back in. No wonder he would when he can have a free roof over his head, 3 square meals a day, a games room and a gym. 5 star stuff.

yeah and most likely all the yows your da he dosent want.

Advertisement