Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Before dates on homebrew

Options
  • 13-01-2012 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

In my wisdom i have decided to go on a diet and fitness regime which includes giving up the gargle for six months (due to my expanding belly).

I have a couple of brews bottled, a larger which was bottled in October and a Stout which was bottled in November. Both were brewed from kits.

Will these still be drinkable in July? How long is the shelf life of a homebrewed beer?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They're bottle-conditioned, so they should be fine as long as your bottling regime is up to scratch and, for example, the bottles are fully sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm curious about this too - at what stage would they start to lose quality?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

YMMV.

Beers that depend on fresh hop flavours will lose that freshness after about three months. Stronger beers age better than weaker beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just to be certain -we are talking about best before dates, not 'use by', i.e. the beer will not become toxic like meat would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I have been brewing about 9 or 10 months at this stage and the only change I have found very noticeable is the fading hop flavour in any of my 'hoppy' beer kits such as the Coopers IPA and Muntons Midas Golden Ale. Over a period of months, despite being very inexperienced, I noticed a lack of umph in the stronger flavoured [hop/bitterness not alcohol] beers.

The Coopers wheat beer has been the most consistent and popular brew. Its flavour has remained almost the same since I brewed it 7 or 8 months ago.

To conclude I would be confident of drinking your beers in 6 months time. :) In the longer term I don't think there is any problem drinking your beer as long as there ins't a foul smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rubadub wrote: »
    Just to be certain -we are talking about best before dates, not 'use by', i.e. the beer will not become toxic like meat would.

Pathogens don't really survive in beer the Ph is too low and the combo of alcohol will retard their growth

But other non disease causing bacteria/ wild yeast can take off, but it will come down to you cleaning how good your sanitation method is for fermentation and packaging.

I have a near 3 1/2 year old imperial stout the perfectly fine to drink!

Advertisement