Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture in Sydney

Options
  • 13-01-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I secured an apartment today which is unfurnished, and we're moving in next week. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for where to get reasonably priced furniture in the vicinity of inner Sydney. We need to get pretty much everything except for a dishwasher and a dryer (those two are included, but we didn't really need them!!) but we obviously don't want to spend a fortune.

I'm keeping an eye on Gumtree of course, but often the sellers are far away and as I don't have a car over here I don't fancy lugging a fridge on a bus from Paramatta! I'm going to look at the usual big furniture shops (Harvey Norman, Freedom, Salvo shops) but if anyone can recommend somewhere else I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

fantastic furniture, we got all our stuff, coffee table, lamp table, L-couch, TV table thing, tall boy, table & 4 chairs, bed, 2 bedside lockers and a cabinet thingy for 2400 delivered and its nice stuff as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

2nd hand: gumtree, ebay and Vincent de Paul ( often people drop stuff to them and they sell it for charity, usually very cheap)
    New: ikea, Kmart (if looking for kitchen stuff have a 130 starter pack for pretty cheap) bigW and Aldi (limited to weekly specials)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Thanks for the tips lads. Bought a load of stuff at Fantastic Furniture and K Mart today, and will kit everything else from Gumtree or other cheaper outlets I think. It's a pretty big outlay to start but I guess it's worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

When moving, we posted some stuff on gumtree for free, including a 3 piece sofa which we couldn't sell for $200 but had to get rid of. Had a couple who had hired a ute for the day and were driving around Sydney collecting stuff "for free". They furnished their apartment for the cost of the truck, $150.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

There's often a bargain basement section in ikea,stuff that is in good condition but isn't sellable because it has a scratch.I picked up a tv unit for half nothing that way a few years back. I'm selling up at the moment and am using Gumtree,lots of stuff available and this time of year is a good time to be buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Hi 6ix. Just sent you a PM there.

Advertisement