Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sriracha chili sauce - available in Ireland?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where one might find Sriracha chili sauce in Ireland? Galway even better. Its made in California (not Asia). We discovered in San Fran last year, an asian supplier in Galway told us he used to stock it but not anymore (he used to get it via the UK). We found it in France just before xmas in a catering store - but that bottle will soon be empty!

Picture of the bottle here:
    http://travelogue.travelvice.com/united-states/sriracha-the-color-of-my-heart/

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Round these parts it's made in The Netherlands.
    It's is available in most Asian shops. Try some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am sure I saw it before in CX cash and carry, however that place seems to have disappeared now? I was looking around for the new place but I couldn't find it.
    Mr Bells in the English market might have it? have you tried them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Quite bizarre that you haven't been able to find it in some asian shops.Keep trying and you'll come across it.It is indeed quite delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The Asian Market in Druiry Street ( dublin, not galwat sorry)stock it.

They have loads of flavours but never seem to have the Hot in stock. Only the super hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thud

the one beside the Jervis stop on red luas line usually have it in stock too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I saw it in the Asian shop opposite Couch Potatoes on Abbeygate St. Upr. (Galway) a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Thanks all for your feedback on the Sriracha chili sauce .... and a big thanks to El Drago for the Galway sighting - I will def check that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

There are two different versions of Sriracha sauce, the Thai version and the Californian version.Both have simmilar ingredients but differ slightly in taste and strength.There are many brands of the sauce,the most popular in Thailand is" Shark " brand and in the USA is "Huy Fong" brand(with a Rooster on the bottle).I personaly have a bottle of "Flying Goose" brand,which is Thai, bought here in Ireland in an Asian Supermarket, which is realy nice stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i bought a bottle of this in tesco yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JetJadore

Yep, Tesco has the 'Thai Taste' brand of Sriracha sauce. It should be in the asian food section. Its very tasty :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 langerballs

Not much help to the OP but the Asian hot and medium version is in the Asian shop on Moore Street, Dublin. Savage stuff. I've bought it in other shops but that's the last confirmed sighting. 2.99 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Balls, I went to Dunnes & Superquinn in Swords, Tesco in Clare hall and Clearwater and some crazy Asian store @ Aldi Finglas but couldn't get this:( Guess I should have just went into town for it, I'll pick it up during the week.

I wanted to do these for din dins: http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/8582

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Eoin_Eamon

Has anyone spotted the 'real' one (giant rooster, green cap)? The Chinese shops always seem to sell the fake ones: flying goose, sea turtle, shark, etc. The taste and texture are considerably different though.

I'm trying the Asian markets in D2 & D1 after work. Hopefully someone's got it because I've just run out and I'll starve otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Jia Jia in cork stock the american and thai versions ... i prefer the thai one

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Thanks for everyone's help

I still haven't found it in Galway - Eoin Eamon is right - the Rooster with the Green cap is the real deal

I'm going to get a friend to try to get it in Dublin

sriracha.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Asia supermarket drury st usually have it- but they seem to run out of stock fairly quickly. I usually go for the super hot though, so I'm ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You can get this in the Asian Shop on Abbeygate st. Saw it there today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I want to make the EggSlut breakfast sandwich which calls for this sauce yet I have none. Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute chilli sauce that is in the ball park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ageyev wrote: »
    I want to make the EggSlut breakfast sandwich which calls for this sauce yet I have none. Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute chilli sauce that is in the ball park?

Tesco carry one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Thats the same reason I wanted it :pac:

• Advertisement

Thats the same reason I wanted it :pac:

I'm going to use this salsa picante and hope for the best
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JaqC6KvB28M/maxresdefault.jpg

The valentina salsa mixed with mayonnaise turned out well. My local shop didn't have SPAM so I used a spice burger. Worked out OKish. I think the hangover is the secret ingredient!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dunnes Stores sell sriracha sauce, it is one with a green lid, not sure what brand it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes Stores sell sriracha sauce, it is one with a green lid, not sure what brand it is though.

The green lid is meant to be trademarked by Huy Fong, the californian one.

I got that one in the Fillipino shop in dun laoghaire where Knowles electrics was, opposite the old library.

Tesco have a heinz one, on offer at the moment as a mix n match
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R31989677

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I'm going to use this salsa picante and hope for the best
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JaqC6KvB28M/maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry to drag this thread up but can you tell me where you got this Valentina salsa? I'm a big fan of the yellow label version and haven't been able to find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Aldi in Carrick on Shannon had it last week 2.79 i think it was

so maybe all Aldi are stocking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Aldi on the Kylemore road also had it last week but in their specials baskets so I don't know if it was just last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

bricky06 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this thread up but can you tell me where you got this Valentina salsa? I'm a big fan of the yellow label version and haven't been able to find it anywhere.

If you're in Dublin I've picked it up in a few places here (although not consistently). The Turkish shop on Liffey Street sometimes has it, as does the Oriental Emporium at Jervis (walk down to the back of the shop and there's a Mexican section at the shelves facing the freezers. Have also picked it up Star Asia on Parnell St, near the entrance to the Ilac (selection of Mexican foods towards the back of the shop on the shelves on the same wall as the tills). The selection is never consistent in any of these places but they normally have some types of Mexican hot sauces

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Thanks guys, I was in aldi today and never thought to look. I'm in Dublin so I'll check your suggestions next time I'm in town.

• Advertisement

bricky06 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I was in aldi today and never thought to look. I'm in Dublin so I'll check your suggestions next time I'm in town.
    Picado Mexican shop in Portobello. Saburrito in Epicurean food hall on Liffey St used to sell some of the Mexican condiments but I think the food hall shut (there might be a Saburrito on Cork Hill(Dame St) near the Olympia)

Advertisement