Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belly fat

• 13-01-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi was wondering could anyone offer any advice. Would consider myself fairly fit, been doing good bit of weights and cardio over the last two months but cant seem to shake the excess belly fat. I am tall, thin but have stomach fat.
    Have been eating fairly well too 6 small meals throughout the day following advice I read online but I cannot seem to tone up the ab area.
    Anyone have any tips etc, can it be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

chris1986 wrote: »
    Hi was wondering could anyone offer any advice. Would consider myself fairly fit, been doing good bit of weights and cardio over the last two months but cant seem to shake the excess belly fat. I am tall, thin but have stomach fat.
    Have been eating fairly well too 6 small meals throughout the day following advice I read online but I cannot seem to tone up the ab area.
    Anyone have any tips etc, can it be done?

You can't spot reduce fat - you need to lose it and your body will decide where it goes from (and the stomach is usually the last to go).

How tall are you and what weight are you? Your options are:
    • Continue to lose fat (this may make you look TOO thin depending on your current weight);
    • Gain some muscle mass and then lose fat (this would be the preferred option of most people who aren't overweight)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chris1986

I'm 6 foot 2 and 13 stone exactly.
    Which do you think is the best best option to go for, and how do I go about it?
    Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

chris1986 wrote: »
    I'm 6 foot 2 and 13 stone exactly.
    Which do you think is the best best option to go for, and how do I go about it?
    Thanks for the reply

Well, based on your original post where you described yourself as 'thin' (which at that height and weight, you are), I'd probably bulk and then cut.

You can read the nutrition stickies, work out your maintenance calories, add 500 to that daily and continue to lift weights.

Alternatively, you can eat what you currently eat, continue to lift weights and weigh yourself in two weeks. Then do the following:
    • If you have lost weight, add 750 calories to your daily intake
    • If you have maintained weight, add 500 calories to your daily intake
    • If you have gained up to 2lbs in the fortnight, continue as you are doing
    • If you have gained more than 2lbs, reduce 250 calories from your daily intake

Then repeat the above process fortnightly until you consistently fall into the third category. You'll probably need to track calories initially but, after a month or so, you'll have a good idea by just guessing. To track calories, you can use fitday.com or any of the associated smartphone apps.

Make sure you get sufficient protein and try to make your calories from good sources - for example, your carbs in the morning should be from porrige as opposed to from a scone or toast.

If you do the above, you could expect to be about 10lb heavier in three months - I'd estimate this would be about 3lb fat and 7lb muscle.

At that point, continue to eat enough protein/lift weights and do the above process in reverse until you are losing 1-2lbs weekly. If you do this for a month, you should be able to maintain the muscle whilst losing the 3lb fat you gained and an additional 4lb of fat that you already have.

The above, if done right, would leave you weighing 3lbs heavier but with 4lbs less fat.

Of course, your results may vary depending on your genetics and, more importantly, how consistent you are with your training and diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gabbah

Count calories. Use a scale. Be sure to create a calorie deficit daily at around 500 calories. In the end, this is just simple maths, only way to make things bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 queev1988

Cardio empty stomach first thing in the morning for 45 mins..followed by high protein, low carb and fat ratio. If it don't swim fly graze or grow from the ground, then don't touch it. Plenty of leafy greens in conjunction with your current resistance training programme followed by a minimum of 8 hours sleep. If you can really cut your carbs and trim those unnecessary calories whilst keeping the hand out of the cookie jar, you'll see decent results within 6-8 weeks. Be disciplined and you'll achieve!Good luck!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Do what marathonic said and get in the following lifts and lift heavy -

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Pull Up/Chin Up
    Press

Advertisement