Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business law icm qualification??

Options
  • 13-01-2012 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I'm thinking of enrolling in a business law night course at my local college. The awarding body is ICM. Does anyone know if this qualification is actually worth anything in Ireland? I'm only familiar with the HETAC/FETAC system and the info on the college website is fairly vague regarding what the ICM award is equivalent to in the Irish qualification system :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Anyone??? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 lawrose

Hi Mrspostman

I did a Dip in Irish Law over 2 years by evening course with IT Carlow about 8 years ago. It was accredited by the ICM. I don't think they offer classes in IT Carlow anymore, but when I went back about 2 years ago to finish a Law Degree, IT Carlow granted me exemptions from all subjects I had completed in the Diploma. However, they did warn me at the time that that was the last year they were doing so.

Afraid I don't know what the current status is re an ICM qualification.

Is there anyway you could check with FETAC to see where on their scale of qualifications it would be placed? i.e. is it a Level 6 or 7

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

ICM wouldn't be recognised by any further education authority. Its a private company and their certification procedures are suspect. Stick with something within FETAC or though one of the ITs offering an overseas qualification. Steer clear of ICM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

chancer12 wrote: »
    ICM wouldn't be recognised by any further education authority. Its a private company and their certification procedures are suspect. Stick with something within FETAC or though one of the ITs offering an overseas qualification. Steer clear of ICM.
    I was a bit wary of that alright. The course I wanted to do was only a single subject course and when I looked at their website, I found that you have to complete a load of modules to get a proper 'accreditation' from them. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that my local college of further education is even offering the course since the vast majority of the courses they offer are FETAC....

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

I was a bit wary of that alright. The course I wanted to do was only a single subject course and when I looked at their website, I found that you have to complete a load of modules to get a proper 'accreditation' from them. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that my local college of further education is even offering the course since the vast majority of the courses they offer are FETAC....

You're far better off with a FETAC qualification. At least employers will recognise it and know the level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I have an ICM diploma on the CV, it's legit, had worked on my CV, but I do list the awarding body as "Irish PLC college name/ICM"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I did a PLC and ICM was the awarding body .That was a long Time ago UK universities granted good exemption but no idea about irish ones .

Advertisement