Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

14-year-old shoots himself after bullying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Degsy wrote: »
    +1

Parents and teachers cannot fight the childrens battles forever,the kid has got to learn to stick up for itself at some stage.

If the child doesnt then it will be haunted by feelings of inadequacy where it was aware of adults intervening all teh time because it couldnt sort out its own problems.

As i've already said,bullies will only pick on people who have proved themselves unwilling to defend themselves either verbally or physically and a child will always feel better after standing its own ground.

Bringing councillers and teachers and guards and focus groups into a childs development is wrong and will only result in esteem issues later on in life.

Your argument is fine except it doesn't work for every young person. Didn't work for the kid in the OP. Maybe he was gonna stick up for himself the next day, huh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

You use "squealing" the same way a bully would.

But your notion that fighting off a bully (even if that were possible for the teen/child) is the best way forward is ridiculous.

Well said.

And bullies tend to be cowards themselves.
    They rarely attack on their own typically having a little gang of sidekicks around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

MagicSean wrote: »
    So if you are aware of all this then why do you blame the teachers?

Magicsean, I am not blaming teachers. I have an issue with teachers that turn a blind eye to it and refuse to report it to principals or people that can take up the complaint and follow it through.

I am sure there are many, many teachers out there that do the right thing. I'm hardly going to group all teachers under the same 'don't give a ****' umbrella, because that is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

What then do you suggest for the classier child?

Confront the bully without using violence. Get class discussions started on the topic of bullying. Push for stories such as this poor child in Australia to be published in the school newsletter to make bully realise what their actions could drive someone to do. Talk to a parent. Report the bullying to a teacher. Lots of ways to resolve it without using your fists.

Bully's solve things by fighting. Why should someone who is better than this be forced to reduce themselves to such thuggery?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Exactly what the bully will say to them when they find out that they told the teacher or whatever...

It's not a bad thing to explain to those in authority (parents/teachers/principal) that another person is making your every waking moment a living hell.

No its not a bad thing to explain whats going on but at the heel of the hunt the kid should be able and willing to make a stand for himself...it sets a precedent for later on in life..if you get used to being a victim you will get good at being a victim.
    Would you extend your argument to society in general?

"Think the gardai want to protect weak people 24/7?" .

Yes..if people looked and acted less like victims then they will become victims less often.

I recently had to intervene on behalf of some bloke on the luas who was being robbed of his ipad..he was probably the only person on the carraige oblivious to the fact that two junkies were staring at him as he browsed away merrily.

He had no sense of spatial awareness and wasnt employing the slightest shred of common sense...basically he looked like he wasnt going to resist and as it turned out he didnt,me and another person had to come to his rescue..
    But your notion that fighting off a bully (even if that were possible for the teen/child) is the best way forward is ridiculous.

What do you suggest? That the bullied child pleads with them or starts crying in teh hope they'll leave him alone?
    It doenst work like that..bullies thrive on weakness and weakness only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I can't find anything about this particular case online (YET). It's terribly sad that a 14 year old is driven to commit suicide. But I found this from a few months ago, and my heart has just broken reading it. A 10 Year old, a fecking 10 year old, killing herself.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Funeral-held-for-10-year-old-driven-to-suicide-by-bullying-134029088.html
    On Wednesday the tragic funeral of Ashlynn Conners took place in Illinois. The 10-year-old girl was found dead in a closet by her elder sister last Friday.

Her family believes it was bullying by peers in her school and in the small town of Ridge Farm that drove her to commit suicide. Ashlynn’s body has been examined by the Vermilion County Coroner Peggy Johnson and an investigation by the Sheriff’s department into her suicide is ongoing.

Ashlynn’s grandmother, Lory Hackney, told the Chicago Tribune that she was being called “a boy” and fat or ugly.

She said “When she started cheering for youth football, we'd gotten her hair cut in a bob…The kids started making fun of her then. They started calling her a boy.''

Her grandmother said the taunting had been going on for some time.

On Thursday Ashlynn had asked her mom if she could be home schooled because she was being picked on at school. She assured her daughter they would speak to the school’s principle this week.

On Friday she heard her daughter telling a friend about the bullying on the phone. Just 30 minutes later Ashlynn’s 14-year-old sister found her dead in a closet.

Hackney, a retired nurse, attempted to give her granddaughter CPR. She said “I don't know what was so bad she couldn't wait."

Sadly suicide in young children appears to be uncommon it happens hundreds of times a year. The US Center for Disease Control states that more than 200 children, between the ages of 10 and 14 killed themselves between 1999 and 2005.

Now I don't care what anyone says, but 200 children between 10 and 14 in 6 years for the tiny population we've got is a worrying number. That works out at 33 a year for that time period in that age group. That's just beyond tragic!!!!

I've no words to describe the anger and upset I feel for those poor families, and the poor kids who are driven by such a sense of desperation!

In the States they charged all the bullies who drove an Irish girl to suicide.

Time to hunt down those bullies now in Ireland.
    Get the bullies parents to see what damage they've done to others.

Get the bullies parents to see what damage they've done to others.

Yes, it has been 'time' for a long time.

I've worked in media my entire professional life and would happily donate my time and experience into doing something about this.

What will we charge them with?

Calling another six year old fat?

Accusing another ten year old of looking like a woman?

Slagging a fellow five year old over thier haircut?

Yep..we should bring out the special branch for that alright:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What will we charge them with?

Calling another six year old fat?

Accusing another ten year old of looking like a woman?

Slagging a fellow five year old over thier haircut?

Yep..we should bring out the special branch for that alright:rolleyes:

Ever heard of suspension? Let the parents deal with looking after a bullying child for a period of time. Let the parent know what the outcome is if their child doesn't learn to respect others.

The other option is to just let it go, let a bully know that there are no consequences and let the bully grow up and get worse and worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭as125634do

So...a pedo chats up a 14 year old and has sex. Death to him. A bully bullies a 14 year old who kill themselve. It was the victims fault. Where is death to the bully. bat**** crazy is what this worldis full of ignorance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There's no universal fix for kids being bullied. Non-violent means works for some, violent means (fighting) works for others as I'm sure people here can vouch for either method. It's hard for a kid when they're up against a group mentality that strive to impress each other, no matter who they trample on, to succeed socially in school.

I've seen plenty of cases where both do and don't work.

It's a sad case when a person as young as this sees taking their life as the only solution available to them. Quite worrying when it's become far more frequent in the past decade here.

Exactly what the bully will say to them when they find out that they told the teacher or whatever...

Yes. Yes it is.

at the heel of the hunt the kid should be able and willing to make a stand for himself...it sets a precedent for later on in life..if you get used to being a victim you will get good at being a victim.

How many are? It's fine for you and me. I'm a grown man, I don't take ****. What about a 14 year old boy who should but can't. You might have been a tough, insightful, no-nonsense young person.....we weren't all like you.

Yes..if people looked and acted less like victims then they will become victims less often.

Maybe they should carry swords? Although, I was told a story by the mildest, most sound guy who happened to be an evangelical christian that he shaved his head because people think your a bit rough and won't give you ****. But I didn't see then and I don't see now why people need to give off an aura of physical strength to avoid abuse in a civilised society.
    I recently had to intervene on behalf of some bloke on the luas who was being robbed of his ipad..he was probably the only person on the carraige oblivious to the fact that two junkies were staring at him as he browsed away merrily.

He had no sense of spatial awareness and wasnt employing the slightest shred of common sense...basically he looked like he wasnt going to resist and as it turned out he didnt,me and another person had to come to his rescue..

Fair play - not everyone is up to looking out for/after themselves. Totally agree there.

What do you suggest? That the bullied child pleads with them or starts crying in teh hope they'll leave him alone?

That they walk into the principals office and explain exactly what is happening and tell their parents as well. If handled properly, the bullies whole charade of power should come crumbling down and the bullying stops.

But for some kids on the receiving end of very bad bullying convincing them to tell those in authority is, I'm sure, almost as hard as convincing them to fight back (verbally or physically).

as125634do wrote: »
    So...a pedo chats up a 14 year old and has sex. Death to him.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's not a bad thing to explain to those in authority (parents/teachers/principal) that another person is making your every waking moment a living hell.

No its not a bad thing to explain whats going on but at the heel of the hunt the kid should be able and willing to make a stand for himself...it sets a precedent for later on in life..if you get used to being a victim you will get good at being a victim.
    Would you extend your argument to society in general?

"Think the gardai want to protect weak people 24/7?" .

Degsy, your rbullying solutions in this tread would work if every bullying case that ever existed was a scene from a sh1t american high school movie.

Bullying is not just acts of violence. It is mostly psychological. Bullies are cowards because they usually intimidate in a way where there is no evidence. If a bully victim lashes out and a fight ensues, the question that always crops up is "who startdd it?".

As previously stated, most bullying cases are not black and white. Violence is certainly not always the answer

• Advertisement

. Bullies are cowards because they usually intimidate in a way where there is no evidence. If a bully victim lashes out and a fight ensues, the question that always crops up is "who startdd it?".

And who really cares?

Fights happen all the time in school..its completely natural.

That they walk into the principals office and explain exactly what is happening and tell their parents as well. If handled properly, the bullies whole charade of power should come crumbling down and the bullying stops.

So from an early age kids are using adults to fight thier battles for them?

This has its place but it cant be resorted to every single time or the child will grow up weak and lazy with no self-esteem,probably with a sneaky nature too.

The peole who were known as "tattle tales" in my schools were usually Mummy's boys with an axe to grind about thier own lack of character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

My first experience with depression was triggered by constant torment about having red hair. The fact that it is seen as socially acceptable made me dread school every day. I used to lie awake every night wondering how bad it would be the next morning.

To this day everyone still thinks that it is ok to have a go and if I say anything shur is it not only "Harmless messing"

This has its place but it cant be resorted to every single time or the child will grow up weak and lazy with no self-esteem,probably with a sneaky nature too.

The peole who were known as "tattle tales" in my schools were usually Mummy's boys with an axe to grind about thier own lack of character.

Best response to this has already been given by others above -

This is not gladiator school.

Nor is our society a jungle.
    probably with a sneaky nature too

Am I the only one who read this and heard Martin McGuiness? Damn informers.

If a child is being bullied, they should be telling adults. It seems a ridiculous notion to me that kids will just be kids and should always fight their own battles. As said already, not every kid has the physical strength to take on another kid (especially if the bully is bigger and psychologically already in a bettter position).

And again, as said, bullying isn't just physical.

Something has to be done for these children that see no way out but to take their lives and leave behind a lifetime of suffering and guilt with their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Nor is our society a jungle.

But it is damn close to it.

We constantly tell people to stand up for themselves, take the direct approach and not to be afraid but when that might mean violence, especially among kids, a lot of people will back down from it.

The world can be a harsh place and these kids are learning it young, suggesting they stand up for themselves isn't the worst of ideas. I'd rather a kid learn how to throw a punch from a young age then never learn how to throw one at all because in reality if you're afraid to take the direct approach someone will try to victimize you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Now I don't care what anyone says, but 200 children between 10 and 14 in 6 years for the tiny population we've got is a worrying number.

The article mentions Chicago several times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The only way to defeat bullies is to make the kid stand up for his/herself..it can be hard the first time but it always works..bullies will always pick on an easy target and tbh i think kids and parents are getting softer.

Children being bullied dont need counselling..they need to be shown how to throw a punch.
    You're on the right track, but bullies can be stopped without throwing a punch.

I was bullied plenty in secondary school. By a bunch of you scraggy Irish feckers no less, and mostly for being American (to those associated: F*ck You).

But really it all became as simple to me as reporting everything when it happened. If there was no teacher present it went to the main office, Headmaster, or that turkey-necked bloke who was trying to get the Headmaster's position. Throwing papers at the back of my head in class? I had no problem after a point of standing up - interrupting class - turning around and telling everyone behind me, that whoever is throwing **** at the back of my head can please stop. Because what's the teacher going to do, give out to me for interrupting class? Pfft. I wasn't the interruption. I didn't even discriminate if it happened on college grounds or not: somoene tried to kick me while I was tying my shoe across the street at lunch, and he was in the office 20 minutes later.

Don't get me wrong, one dude tried to put a lighter up to my leg one time and he got immediately facepunched for it rightly so. But thats not a workable solution to every problem.

In the end I had a great time at school once all the troublemakers were rightly flagged by the staff for what they were. Before long the bullies were too busy complaining that the teachers were being too 'mean' to them (The teachers picking on me WAAAAAAAAHHH!) to think about bullying other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

gemma188 wrote: »
    Confront the bully without using violence. Get class discussions started on the topic of bullying. Push for stories such as this poor child in Australia to be published in the school newsletter to make bully realise what their actions could drive someone to do. Talk to a parent. Report the bullying to a teacher. Lots of ways to resolve it without using your fists.

Bully's solve things by fighting. Why should someone who is better than this be forced to reduce themselves to such thuggery?

Get real would you.... get class discussions going?... push for school newsletter to publish articles etc?... that isnt going to to help the victim one bit....in fact they'd probably be scared ****less of the extra attention on them...

i know bullying of boys and girls can be different but i second the whole fighting fire with fire approach.... i have a lot of grown up friends who now realise how they could have nipped everything in the bud with a whallop instead of putting up with it...

Degsy, i really dont understand your mindset. You strike me as being somebody who has never experienced or witnessed childhood bullying.

As a case example, can you please explain to me what use teaching a physically small child how to throw a punch when he is being bullied by a gang of 5 or more?

Big difference between teaching a kid how to throw a punch and how to be a bloody ninja

By 'kids' I think you mean People, and by 'adults' I think you mean Authority Figures.

You think this "Fight your own battles" attitude helped out this 14 year old? Not every battle can be fought by yourself. Nobody is suggesting you have to fight all of your battles or none of them, but cop on: there is too much importance placed in Irish society on handling things internally. "Keep it in the family", etc. is why kiddie fiddlers and rapists rarely go reported.

You make it sound like a shameful thing for a kid to have to ask an adult for help. Bullies don't fight fair, why should the victim?

Overheal wrote: »
    Bullies don't fight fair, why should the victim?

Great point, overheal.

As a case example, can you please explain to me what use teaching a physically small child how to throw a punch when he is being bullied by a gang of 5 or more?

Because a group of 5 or more bullying one child will usually have a leader of sorts..if you punch the leader in the nose the rest will melt away like snow.

It maybe distasteful to people who call their child Max or Lewis or Tristram but it has worked sionce the dawn of time.

Because a group of 5 or more bullying one child will usually have a leader of sorts..if you punch the leader in the nose the rest will melt away like snow.

Errrmmm, right.
    I am sorry but your comment there is a complete load of bollocks and I am beginning to think that you are just trolling here TBH.
    More likely they will all beat the living crap out of you.

Your reasoning would only work if the bullied kid is physically able to beat the agressor AND be enough of a psychopath to do enough damage to frighten the feck out of the group

Antiquated logic. Especially when most of the problematic bullying occurs online, not in the handball alleys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Degsy, i really dont understand your mindset. You strike me as being somebody who has never experienced or witnessed childhood bullying.

Big difference between teaching a kid how to throw a punch and how to be a bloody ninja
    From my own experience:
    Gang of kids thought I had 'grassed them up' for selling things in school they shouldnt. Each night met me on the way home and gave me pastings. Each night I made sure I really hurt at least one of them.
    When you nearly bite someones finger off eventually they give up beating you.
    Have given the same advice to my kids. "If you're going to get a beating make sure you really hurt one of them." No ninja required, just means you have to attack them first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Errrmmm, right.
    I am sorry but your comment there is a complete load of bollocks and I am beginning to think that you are just trolling here TBH.
    More likely they will all beat the living crap out of you.

Your reasoning would only work if the bullied kid is physically able to beat the agressor AND be enough of a psychopath to do enough damage to frighten the feck out of the group

I can guarantee you 1 thing. If any kid saw a group of bullies approaching and they decided to launch an attack on the bullies before they got chance the bullying would soon stop. Equally if every time they saw one of them on their own no matter where. Sure, you're going to get a beating but after a couple of days do the same thing again.
    It's how the world works unfortunately. Who gets the jobs, the nice guys or the confident agressively chasing goals guys?

ch750536 wrote: »
    From my own experience:
    Gang of kids thought I had 'grassed them up' for selling things in school they shouldnt. Each night met me on the way home and gave me pastings. Each night I made sure I really hurt at least one of them.
    When you nearly bite someones finger off eventually they give up beating you.
    Have given the same advice to my kids. "If you're going to get a beating make sure you really hurt one of them." No ninja required, just means you have to attack them first.

And what if there was a way out of it without getting beaten up?
    Would you not try that first?

The retalitory violence should be the means to defend yourself in a specific situation. You should not expect a child to be constantly on the look out for a gang that is about to attack them. What happens if a particularly nasty fecker decides that he did not like you biting his finger and decided that fists are no longer enough and decides to use a hurley, bat, knife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

OP - pity that young lad didn't turn the gun on his bullies. If victims struck back more often, it might make the bullying profession less appealing.

Overheal wrote: »
    Antiquated logic. Especially when most of the problematic bullying occurs online, not in the handball alleys.

No it doesnt..school is where proper bullying has always taken place.

ch750536 wrote: »
    I can guarantee you 1 thing. If any kid saw a group of bullies approaching and they decided to launch an attack on the bullies before they got chance the bullying would soon stop. Equally if every time they saw one of them on their own no matter where. Sure, you're going to get a beating but after a couple of days do the same thing again.
    It's how the world works unfortunately. Who gets the jobs, the nice guys or the confident agressively chasing goals guys?

You must have had some fairly weak bullies TBH.
    I am 6ft1' and more than cabable of handing out a pasting.

On more than one occasion I did just that to individuals or small groups of bullies. What I got was a hurley to my face, while unawares, and a massive kicking on the ground. It is called escalation and no matter what you do, if it is 1VsCrowd you will lose if they are determined to make your life hell.
    There is nothing wrong in asking for help, when you need it. There is a reason why the suicide rate, in Ireland, is as high as it is. We see asking for help as a sign of weakness, for some fecked up reason

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

As someone already said I think this guy has been watching far too many American high school movies or episodes of Glee. And I suppose by your logic once the victim defeats the lead jock, the head cheerleader will fall for the guy who was bullied and against all odds they'll end up being voted the prom King and Queen. :rolleyes:

Bully's have no issue with causing physical harm to others. So how can you expect a child who was brought up with better morals than this to engage in acts of violence when this is more than likely something a bully thrives on.

Complete and utter bollox tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

As someone already said I think this guy has been watching far too many American high school movies or episodes of Glee. And I suppose by your logic once the victim defeats the lead jock, the head cheerleader will fall for the guy who was bullied and against all odds they'll end up being voted the prom King and Queen. :rolleyes:

As someone who was bullied and eventually fought back I can tell you fighting back does work, even if you don't get the girl.

I was lucky enough to have a good friend who was a bit of a nut-job, and I'm sure many kids who are bullied wouldn't necessarily have such a friend but a good kick-in will deter bullies.

Groups of bullies I don't know, but for that one scumbag who likes to make you his punchbag a bloody and bruised face will make him think twice.

• Advertisement

Are you speaking from experience?..i know i am.

How can you possibly say that all fights go the way you have experienced? Honestly, that is just totally illogical and ridiculous.

All bully's mates just melt away all the time. C'mon.

Well I am talking from experience.
    I was targeted BECAUSE I was the biggest/strongest/best fighter, by thugs wanting to prove their worth. They always came in groups and no matter what they came back the next day too. I used to kick them 7 shades of purple individually but no matter how good I was, I could not take on 5-8 guys.

A single (even 2-3) tormenter may be fought off but not a large group. simples

Bully's have no issue with causing physical harm to others..

Often times they do...they just like upsetting people without actually hurting them..the reason being that most bullies are complete cowards.

If a bully can make a weak child cry without laying a finger on them it just makes thier job easier.
    So how can you expect a child who was brought up with better morals than this to engage in acts of violence when this is more than likely something a bully thrives on.

Defending yourself is not an act of violence..its an act of self-preservation..a lot of modern parents think the world's shiit doesnt stink and are suddenly horrified to discover little Christian or Donnacha is getting beaten up in school because they never programmed his mind into considering it a possibility much less equipping him to deal with it.
    this is more than likely something a bully thrives on.

No it isnt as i've explained..bullies are terrified of getting hit back thats why they attack weak children...the sort of children that may have been led to believe they have "better morals".

There are parents knowadays who wont let thier children outdoors on a cloudy day for fear of them catching skin cancer,wont let them walk to school in case they're raped by peadophiles and have a child counciller standing by in case they fall over and skin thier knee.

Sure kids shouldnt be brought up as violent thugs but they need to be at least slightly able to stick up for themselves.

Well I am talking from experience.
    I was targeted BECAUSE I was the biggest/strongest/best fighter, by thugs wanting to prove their worth. They always came in groups and no matter what they came back the next day too. I used to kick them 7 shades of purple individually but no matter how good I was, I could not take on 5-8 guys.

A single (even 2-3) tormenter may be fought off but not a large group. simples

So they left the weak kids alone and went after the best fighter yeah?

You're talking a load of utter shiite..unless you went to school with savages who were training to be bare-knuckle boxers.

As someone who doesnt live in a fantasy world, yes, yes i am

• Advertisement

I am fairly sure that there are schools out there that turn a blind eye. It actually makes me sick. I was lucky to get through school unscathed so I am not sure what my motivation is behind this. it just makes my blood boil that any child should be put through this on a daily basis and think ending their life is the only option.
    Absolutely. I was bullied at school throughout the 90s. The principal of the primary school I was at between 1992 and 1996 point blank denied to my parents that any bullying went on in "his school."

As the bully or the victim ?

As someone who doesnt live in a fantasy world, yes, yes i am

Care to elaborate..i mean i've supported my points..hows about you back up what you're saying?

Care to elaborate..i mean i've supported my points..hows about you back up what you're saying?

I love how I give you examples to counteract your silly points but you choose to ignore them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

I don't see now why people need to give off an aura of physical strength to avoid abuse in a civilised society.

Because civilization isn't civilized..
    You're right though, shouldn't be that way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement