Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

14-year-old shoots himself after bullying

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I wasn't exactly bullied at school but there was this bully guy in my class who used to go around bullying everyone and we never got on well. I just kept away from him cuz he was a worthless piece of ****.

Though it was sad how half the class used to suck up to him because he was the biggest and strongest of us all. I would have loved to have punched his face in some day but I'm just a wee lad so all I could do was stay away from him and his friend which meant there was one point in school when I barely had any friends because almost everyone in my class were sucking upto this bully guy and I wasn't one of them.

Worse was the many teachers knew this kid was a big bully and used to keep picking on weaker guys and bullying them but they didn't do anything cuz maybe they were waiting for something serious to happen...

/slightly pointless story.

Anyway, bullying is a horrible thing. My ex had told me that said she dropped out of school because she hated school as she used to be bullied there. Other girls used to pick on her and even hit her, kick her etc. It was pretty horrible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm genuinely surprised how much immaturity, insensitivity and ignorance still preside in some Irish mindsets, as portrayed in this thread. I really thought we'd moved onwards. Some of the opinions here worry me. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Gumbi wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised how much immaturity, insensitivity and ignorance still preside in some Irish mindsets, as portrayed in this thread. I really thought we'd moved onwards. Some of the opinions here worry me. :(

What worries me is what a nation of ponces we seem to have become..rearing "sensitive" children who are afraid of thier own shadow and calling on the gardai to deal with schoolyard bullies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Degsy wrote: »
    What worries me is what a nation of ponces we seem to have become..rearing "sensitive" children who are afraid of thier own shadow and calling on the gardai to deal with schoolyard bullies.
    You're right, it's much better we lower ourselves to the level of savages than hope scum and their enablers should aspire to being human.
    But not too much, because the bullied child, after years of torment, should know when enough is enough, not go too far... Just far enough, because that's how people behave when they're presented with the opportunity to rob their bully of their safety and pride. Especially wildly emotional teens.
    You pleb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

whats your experience with bullying ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Do you think that makes it acceptable?
    Acceptable, no, but it makes this kid an attention seeking drama queen. We all get bullied in school (myself included). Its part and parcel of society. We dont all kill ourselves.
    I think thats incredibly insensitive. You have no idea what type to bullying the 14 year old was being tormented. We have no info about his family situation or background. How can you honestly say he should have just gotten over it when you don't know the truth behind the case.

Bullying is commonplace in schools but it is not commonplace for every child to be bullied. I think a lot of posters need to learn the difference between teasing that might take place and the everyday torment that some kids go through.

I, like a lot of schoolgoing children, was bullied at school. "Teasing" is not the same as bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Acceptable, no, but it makes this kid an attention seeking drama queen. We all get bullied in school (myself included). Its part and parcel of society. We dont all kill ourselves.

I, like a lot of schoolgoing children, was bullied at school. "Teasing" is not the same as bullying

Calling a 14 year old who was driven to suicide an attention seeking drama queen. I'm going to have to ignore that lest I get banned. You are absolutely disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

This discussion is redundant.

It should never have been in After Hours in the first place, it should have been moved by Mods.

Some of the comments made have been absolutely disgraceful.

I can only imagine what the family of the child would think if they were to read this thread and see some of the comments made about their son.

At this stage I really dont blame to posters who have made these comments, as everyone knows their is no shortage of nuts out there.

But that the comments should remain unchallenged by the site is just unacceptable to me as a site member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

If you are insinuating that what happened "back in the day" was better, then you are wrong. When children and teenagers are getting to the point of suicide, then I think the situation is volatile enough to warrant the interventions of the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If you are insinuating that what happened "back in the day" was better, then you are wrong. When children and teenagers are getting to the point of suicide, then I think the situation is volatile enough to warrant the interventions of the guards.

Crap and nonsense..the guards are there to investigate criminal matters not intervene in the playground coz some kid wont stick up for himself.:rolleyes:

Parents who are wimps are bringing children up to be wimps but guess what? Its still survival of teh fittest out there no matter how "moderate" your views.

If a kid wont defend himself in the playground,what chance does he have later in life?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Crap and nonsense..the guards are there to investigate criminal matters not intervene in the playground coz some kid wont stick up for himself.:rolleyes:

Parents who are wimps are bringing children up to be wimps but guess what? Its still survival of teh fittest out there no matter how "moderate" your views.

If a kid wont defend himself in the playground,what chance does he have later in life?

So basically you think that its okay that a innocent 14 year old commits suicide because you think he wouldn't have survived the real world. Don't understand how you can think that to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Exactly.
    And in true darwinian style, the "less fittest" has not survived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, this had gone beyond good discussion now and thus I lock it for review. Will probably not be opened again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement