Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive way

• 13-01-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Current drieve way is tarmac with lots of crack and holes. Wife wants a new one.

I assume if we are to lay a new one the old one will need to be dug up....which would create noise and dust which would be an issue for us.

Am i correct in this....does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives that we could lay on top of current tarmac.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Amy O Riordan

Hi my partner is a tarmacadam contractor and he said it would actually be better to lay more tar on the old stuff the reason it has holes and cracks is because the depth wasnt in it eg: there should be 2mm of tar and alot of cowboys cut corners..

the only way to solve this is either dig it up and put stone or concrete or else tar over the old tar Ireland roads are always tarred upon so thats the way ta go thats my partners opinion hope this helps u :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

Amy,

Thanks for this. Where does your husband work and do they do private / household work or is it just commercial?

James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

jrby wrote: »
    Hi,
    Current drieve way is tarmac with lots of crack and holes. Wife wants a new one.

I assume if we are to lay a new one the old one will need to be dug up....which would create noise and dust which would be an issue for us.

Am i correct in this....does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives that we could lay on top of current tarmac.

Thanks

It may be ok to lay on top of the existing drive of the sub base is sound and solid, the reason for cracking and holes could be that it was tarmac that was done over 15 years or more and that its seen its day, most driveways are now laid with a min of SMA due to the amount of traffic and all with power steerings etc.
    The minimum that should be laid is 40mm and their also should be a tack coat applied to bond the material to the existing wearing course.
    Any help you need just ask.

maca

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

Thanks. Appreciate the advice.

James

Advertisement