Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing second router to boost WiFi reception

• 13-01-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

I live in a large apartment where getting broadband reception everywhere is a problem. I currently have UPC broadband.

I have tried stronger routers but that has not solved the problem.

Can I buy a second router and install it myself without paying UPC more? Would this solve the issue?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Yes and No...

Yes, buying different wireless gear could make your problem go away... Simplest option would be Apple or Linksys gear (Airport Extreme in the main area, Airport Expresses dotted around the rest of the place, or Linksys/Cisco gear around).

(Posible) no... Depends on the Router UPC gave you... You may be able to extend, but not 100% sure...For me, i turned off Wifi on my UPC router, plugged in my Airport Extreme and i plan on adding my Airport Express's around the place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

What I would suggest is you buy a wifi router (any one will do, you can get second hand ones for pretty cheap). Then you set it up with the same SSID and password but on a different wireless channel, and disable the dhcp server on it. Finally you would need to run a link between the two, ideally through an ethernet cable, but I usually just use two homeplug devices and pluged into one of the lan ports on each of the devices.

Then you would be able to roam between the two wifi networks seamlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

One problem that is very apparent in apartments these days is the cluttering of the wifi frequencies by so many people nearby using wifi. I use an app on my phone to analyze the channel use to pick a channel with minimum interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Download Inssider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download/

Run it and it will show all the wireless networks in range and their relative strength. Every one is interfering with every other one.

Those on the same channel cause more interference to each other than those on channels at least 5 numbers apart.

On top of all the wireless LAN's you have the baby listeners, media streamers etc.

If you live in a high density area you are going to have problems with wireless connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Knasher wrote: »
    What I would suggest is you buy a wifi router (any one will do, you can get second hand ones for pretty cheap). Then you set it up with the same SSID and password but on a different wireless channel, and disable the dhcp server on it. Finally you would need to run a link between the two, ideally through an ethernet cable, but I usually just use two homeplug devices and pluged into one of the lan ports on each of the devices.

Then you would be able to roam between the two wifi networks seamlessly.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I do this without running an ethernet cable between them. I mean, I have multiple UPC points, could I just connect the second router to a different connection point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Fungus wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Can I do this without running an ethernet cable between them. I mean, I have multiple UPC points, could I just connect the second router to a different connection point?

No that wouldn't work because UPC need cable routers and have to authorize each one on their network and will only authorize one per customer. I'd suggest you get a pair of something like these and they will set up a link over your power cabling.

Many thanks for the reply.

I had not considered, or heard much about, Ethernet over mains.

Sorry for the basic question but does it work like this:
    1) I place a phone wire from my UPC router to the 'ethernet plug' which is inserted into a plug socket.
    2) In a different room, I attach the 'ethernet plug' to a different plug socket.
    3) I then connect a phone wire into a second wireless router.

Is this correct? Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Yes, except they're both ethernet cables not phone wires.

As Knasher says though, if you buy or already have a router rather than just an AP, you'll have to disable DHCP on the secondary router and manually give it an IP address in on the same network as your main router that isn't inside the DHCP range and isn't the same as the main router's. Connect the second router into one of its LAN ports rather than its WAN port.

An ethernet cable between the two routers would be preferable to the homeplugs if it's feasible for you.

There is another option: some routers/APs will act as a wireless repeater. You would then the box close enough to your main router to get a signal and it would repeat the signal, perhaps covering the rest of your apartment. You seem to have a few routers so you might check if any of them have this option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Fungus wrote: »
    Sorry for the basic question but does it work like this:
    1) I place a phone wire from my UPC router to the 'ethernet plug' which is inserted into a plug socket.
    2) In a different room, I attach the 'ethernet plug' to a different plug socket.
    3) I then connect a phone wire into a second wireless router.

Not a "phone wire" an Ethernet cable is what you need.
    But apart from that you have the basic plan.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.
    Zab wrote: »
    you'll have to disable DHCP on the secondary router and manually give it an IP address in on the same network as your main router that isn't inside the DHCP range and isn't the same as the main router's.

I understand everything you said except the above.

How easy is it to disable DHCP? Is it just a untick the box exercise?
    Can you please explain the IP steps to me in a simple way? I'm lost.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Yeah, DHCP is a check box. Have a look at this guide: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556. I can explain more but he has pictures etc so it's easier (although his pictures are just guides, they probably won't match what you'll see).

Advertisement