Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet based Alarm System

Options
  • 13-01-2012 12:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

I really want to cut line rental to my shops. It so expensive and unesscecary. I have all my equipment ready to go and running on a internet connection so they dont require a phone line except my alarm system which requires a phone line to send me a SMS warning.

I would love a Broadband based intruder alarm. Anybody heard of anything like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There is nothing directly available to the end user that will send alarm notifications directly.
    The Siemens SPC5320 does give you remote access to the panel from any web browser. If you have a CCTV system with a network card you can set up your alarm system to trigger this to send you an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

drbeatz wrote: »
    I really want to cut line rental to my shops. It so expensive and unesscecary. I have all my equipment ready to go and running on a internet connection so they dont require a phone line except my alarm system which requires a phone line to send me a SMS warning.

I would love a Broadband based intruder alarm. Anybody heard of anything like this?
    you could buy a stand alone voice and text dialler, texecom make one, get a line from blueface and you are ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Slightly off topic, but Do you guys think there would be a good marked for an Ethernet based SMS device?

Once it gets triggered from a digital input, say from an internal bell signal it sends out SMS's to the pre-stored numbers via the web?

It could be configured via an on-board webserver, so phone numbers can be changed/updated etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

No not really.
    The reason I say this is I designed something similar when I was in college, approached 3 manufacturers who said they liked the idea but that it would not take off

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Slightly off topic, but Do you guys think there would be a good marked for an Ethernet based SMS device?

Once it gets triggered from a digital input, say from an internal bell signal it sends out SMS's to the pre-stored numbers via the web?

It could be configured via an on-board webserver, so phone numbers can be changed/updated etc..
    A very good idea.Maybe expand it a bit to send out emails. Much more info could be sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Abeynormal

I'd buy one!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would also buy one. I hear far too many stories about phone lines being cut.

Judging by the amount of people we are switching away from Eircom lines, id say the land line's days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

2011 wrote: »
    I would also buy one. I hear far too many stories about phone lines being cut.

So what happens if the telephone line is the medium for the broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I've been running prototypes of two of these units on two different systems, using esendex to send the sms's. Both have been working away fine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I've been running prototypes of two of these units on two different systems, using esendex to send the sms's. Both have been working away fine...

Very good idea. I would be interested in a tester :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kub wrote: »
    So what happens if the telephone line is the medium for the broadband?

Obviously that could be a problem, which is why I would not use a line for this purpose.

Advertisement