Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cookhouse, Athlone?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I have heard that the Cookhouse is closed since New Years Eve, but some one else told me the Cook house is still open. Anyone know for definite?

The last real Athlone style chipper, where everything means everything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I have heard that the Cookhouse is closed since New Years Eve, but some one else told me the Cook house is still open. Anyone know for definite?

Closed.
    Hasnt done much business since the chipper opened beside AppleGreen
    The last real Athlone style chipper, where everything means everything!

Mate of mine used to ring in orders there regular enough a few years back, the woman answering the phone would
    put the fear of God into him...
    Mate: Can I get chips with everything
    Chipper Lady: Grand ... Do you want chilli sauce on them too
    Mate: No thanks
    Chipper Lady: THEN YA DONT WANT EVERYTHING ON THEM DO YA!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Yeah I'm gutted that it closed. Really is the last Athlone style chipper. I dunno where I'm gonna go for the curry cheese chip now.

I know the woman on the phone you're talking about too, she sounds like she has eaten a chainsaw. She's dead sound all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Gutted!!! Where else can I get my Lamb Base chips from now? Huh? Did Jimmy not think of the CHildren??!!1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

So its definitly closed. :(

I loved the lamb base garlic cheese chips.

That chipper beside apple green is a joke, it takes them about 20 minutes to make your food, and the staff are so ignorant in it.

That chipper beside apple green is a joke, it takes them about 20 minutes to make your food, and the staff are so ignorant in it.

Nice food but service is a joke. Last time I was there I just asked for a bag of chips ... 25 mins later still waiting there. Ended up ringing Alfredos from there and heading straight over to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Total loss, likes my treats from there over the last 20 years, proper curry chips with cheese and a quarter pounder with everything.....not the healthiest but hadn't done it that often these past few years.
    Anne and the rest of them behind the counter were always dead sound

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

:(:(:(:( NOT THE COOKHOUSE!!!!!!
    That place should of had some kind of protection order on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 radix093

Spread the word people...The Cook House is back and ready to open! "The New Cook House" is a modern setup, built from scratch at the Cook House location...bigger and better than it ever was before!! Hope to see you all there and support the real traditional Athlone style chipper back on the road!! :)

http://www.facebook.com/TheNewCookHouse?ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Best of luck with the new Cookhouse, haven't been there since the children were small. I'll ramble over there for a feed one of the days :)

I doubt its the same though. I don't think you would be able to replicate it. But I will try it out!

Lamb base chips with everything sham!

• Advertisement

I doubt its the same though. I don't think you would be able to replicate it. But I will try it out!

+1 on the lamb base, I has a cravings........

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

DVD-Lots wrote: »

Anyone been yet?

No its not open yet, but will be very soon! We appreciate all feedback, and with you guys we'll make it what it once was in the good aul days :)

radix093 wrote: »
    ... we'll make it what it once was in the good aul days :)

Hmmm I don't know ... new management ... new premesis ... you'll probably even have new chip oil!!!!! :D

But seriously, best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

DVD-Lots wrote: »

Mmmmmmm lamb base chips....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

No its not open yet, but will be very soon! We appreciate all feedback, and with you guys we'll make it what it once was in the good aul days :)

will you be doing a delivery service?

We sure will be doin deilvery service...

Opening tomorrow (Monday 23rd April) from 12pm to 1am.

Special Offer for tomorrow & Tuesday night:
    * Buy 2 Quarter Pounders, get 1 free
    * Buy any pizza, get a portion of garlic bread free

For orders, number is (0906) 433511.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Your number is 6433511, the area code is (090). ;)

any reports?

• Advertisement

any reports?

Hopefully I am proved wrong, but i can't see cookhouse unique style and quality been replicated.

I'm now told the number is (09064) 33511 :)

Most of the old staff from the Cook House are there, and Joan is running the show...sauces, recipies, etc. so we're making sure there'll be no change :)

Last night drew a great crowd, far more than we expected, so we'll be getting orders out faster and better as time goes on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Luckily I gave a quick peak back to ur post before bowing to ur superior knowledge and ordering signwriting for the window... I'm taking ur word for it that its (090) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Luckily I gave a quick peak back to ur post before bowing to ur superior knowledge and ordering signwriting for the window... I'm taking ur word for it that its (090) :D

You can test it: pick up the phone and dial 33511. If that was the number, you'd get an engaged tone. But that isn't the number.

Now try 6433511: engaged!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Nothing weeds out the thickos in a place like an area code change

So have any of you tried the New Cook House, and what's the verdict? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Havent tried yet but if you want a review feel free to drop around a few samples :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Tried it there, just finished it, really enjoyed it.
    Regular burger with ketchup and a curry chips with cheese, the curry is different but its really nice.

• Advertisement

Really disappointed, gutted actually. Just had the lamb base chips and while it all tastes the same they now use the silver chinese style trays to serve the food in. This now means smaller portions of chips due to the lid now needing to cover the food. Bring back the plastic tray with the tinfoil wrap PLEASE!!! I am now still hungry as there were only a handfull of chips in the tray with the lamb and all the toppings, I'd say it's now down to a half portion compared to the old moutainous portion you used to get. :mad:

Advertisement