Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please recommend a Saorview HD Box with PVR builtin

• 13-01-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    can someone recommend a saorview box with a pvr built in. Any of the boxes I have found so far require a separate harddrive via a USB connection.

Are there any available with a builtin PVR??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

dmeehan wrote: »
    Are there any available with a builtin PVR??

No Saorview approved models yet but some posters here on the boards are using Sony and Humax units and they appear to work OK if you only receive the Saorview channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What Cush says ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The proper PVRs all also have Dual Tuners and don't have a 2GByte or 4Gbyte limit per recorded file.
    They can watch one channel and record a different one even when the 2nd Multiplex starts. Some can record more than one channel at the same time.

"Freeview+ HD" PVRs all should at least tune the channels, do Interactive and Record.
    However various things may not work:
    • Time might be 1 hour out in Summer
    • If you are on SE coast or Border, it may have problems with Scheduling Saorview recordings if you receive Freeview.
    • Channels may start at 800
    • Old fashioned EBU Teletext usually not supported, though it may end by 2013 anyway.
    • Series link ought to work (in Winter anyway), but we don't know for sure as no Channel on Saorview is transmitting it. It's going to be added soon.

There was a suggestion of Certified true PVR for Dec 2011, but it never appeared.

I'd hold off until between April and September 2012 (inclusive). If possible. There are likely to be various developments.

Meantime a DVB-T USB stick on XP or Win7 with DVB-Viewer and MHEg5 plug in, or Win7 Media Center [sic] will work as a PVR with scheduling. Assumimg the PC/Laptop supports 1920 x 1080p50 (not the PC & US centric 1080p60) you can play back on decent HDTV. Playing back at 60fps reduces resolution and adds motion blur as the broadcasts are at i25. Very few graphics cards do 1080i25 50Hz field and almost none do 576i25, so the CPU/Graphics card needs to de-interlaced with adaptive bob or Weave and automatic switch to inverse Telecine if the interlaced fields to make a frame are detected as film source. Upscale SD to HD 1080p50 in CPU/Graphics.

Advertisement