Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap/Expensive Food?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

What foods are cheaper in Oz compared to Ireland, say meat and veg for example, cheaper or dearer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

In general, most food is more expensive in Oz.
    The market for microwave dinners seems much smaller in Oz so you won't have nearly as much choice for that type of meal compared to Ireland. Price wise, I have no idea.
    Fresh meat can be a little cheaper. Dairy isn't. Fruit and veg aren't dirt cheap either, as most of it is Australian produce and not cheap imports.
    I was in Ireland at Christmas and astonished to see 1kg of various veg for 22c!
    It was in ALDI but I noticed that Dunnes and Supervalu matched it.
    I have never seen that price in Oz for veg.

The best way to get value for your shopping is to avoid 7Eleven and small IGAs.
    Watch the specials in Coles and Woolies in their Catalogues, they start on Wednesdays, something like ALDI. Bulk buy on specials if you can.

If you are within easy reach of a a fresh market, that is your best bet to save money. A bit more hassle than pushing your trolley down a supermarket aisle but you DO save money e.g. after last years cyclone Yasi, bananas rocketed to 16-17$ a kg in Coles, at the market the top price was 13$....all Ozi no foreign bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you travel to migrant communities and skip supermarkets you'll be amazed what good value you can get by the veg shops.
    Head out to marrickville, petersham etc, and look for Asian or veg sellers. Much cheaper and much better than supermarkets.
    We don't have same access as Europe so ir's normally more expensive veg wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

What foods are cheaper in Oz compared to Ireland, say meat and veg for example, cheaper or dearer?

I find Coles supermarket to be pretty much the same as back home.

You just gotta know what to avoid. Things like raspberries ($6 a punnet) can be expensive. Just keep an eye out for the price per KG and special offers.

If you do alot of cooking or eating at home, the markets are your best bet. In Melbourne the Victoria market is brilliant for cheap fruit and veg - and to a certain extent meat. Even cheaper still is the Preston market. I've never been - but apparently alot of their stuff is in bulk and its super cheap. Although if you are buying in bulk you gotta be cooking a bit at home other wise it will go in the bin!

Advertisement