Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Iron - Half Man

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

EC1000 wrote: »
    Its not a fast course by any stretch of the imagination and there is a dog of a hill just before Oldcastle.

When I read this first I thought you were referring to the dog in this area that chased most competitors on the bike last year :D I hope the organisers have arranged for him to be absent on the day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Monday lunch:
    7.5km easy run. Pace at the 4.20/km mark.

Monday PM:
    Club swim session. I knew what was coming here so hence the easy run and no bike today
    . W/up followed by 1.5km TT. Came in at 27.05min which is a pool PB for the distance. Some technique work and kicking drills after.
    Total time: 1.00hr.
    Distance: 1900m

Tuesday lunch:
    7.5km easy running in advance of another attempt to better my 5km PBtomorrow night

Wed pm:
    5km race completed in 17m24s. Hopes of a new pb dashed by the new uphill finish :(

Thur lunch:
    7.5km easy running to stretch the legs after last nights effort

Fri am:
    1hr spinning on the turbo keeping HR in 130 to 135 range - target for HIM. 8km easy lunch run.

Sat am:
    45km club spin with 2 x 5km all out TT efforts thrown in.

Sun:
    750m cold open water swim in preparation for next weekend's HIM. Wasnt as bad as expected!

Tuesday lunch:
    8km run with some speedwork at less than 5k race pace.

Wed am:
    1km easy swimming before work.
    Wed lunch:
    7.5km easy run

Thur lunch:
    6km easy run. Last run pre HIM. Taper nearly done!

Tri an Mhi Half Ironman - 12 May 2012. Tough day at the office for me. Swam ok, biked as expected and set out to make up time on the run. Set out at 1h30m pace for the first 5km but then severe stomach cramps that I couldn't shake meant that I walked the last 10k if the run. Initially targeted this as a good training session and definitely learned a lot which I will take forward with me. Was over 6 hours in the end and 40mins longer on the run than had targeted. Onwards and upwards..... 

Have to say super job by Tri an Mhi, great race and superb organisation.

For what it's worth, my splits were:
    Swin - 39 mins (freezing cold :))
    Bike - 3h 17m
    Run - 2h 3m :o (turned into a long painful walk)

A lot of lessons learned for the future, especially after reviewing HR data.

Monday 14th May:
    Lunchtime run v easy as body not feeling great after Saturday. 5km at a very easy jog.

Evening club swim session:
    A relatively hard session that I was just about able to hold my own in.
    Main set was:
    1 x 400 free
    2 x 200 free
    4 x 100 free
    8 x 50 free.

400 was flat out with each set completed using that pace.
    Total time: 55 mins
    Distance: 1900m

Tuesday lunch
    :
    Another easy run – 6km.

Wednesday:
    Lunchtime run increasing the pace slightly on Monday and Tuesday’s efforts. 7km at 4min/km pace. Ditched the 5km race this evening as not recovered properly from the weekend.

Thursday: Rest day.

Friday lunch
    :
    A decent effort at this run. Warmed up for 2km at 4.30pace , then held 3.45 pace for 5km and then cool down. Not quite 5km pace but good to put some speed back in the legs also.

Saturday am:

A 2 hour hard turbo turned into an hour of spinning the legs family commitments needed my attention elsewhere. Didn’t mind as was hoping to hold something back for sprint race tomorrow

Sunday am
    :
    Club sprint race. 750m/16km/4km.
    Gave this a good lash. There were only about 20 entrants but good race practice and my first time to do a sprint(ish) distance in nearly a year. Pushed the swim hard and exited in 13m18sec. Biked within myself for a 35km avg pace. Please with a 15m24s 4km run to finish off with. (Even though only a supersprint, always nice to cross the line first regardless :))
    Biked over to the course also on the TT for an extra 40km training.

Monday:
    Club swim session.
    Main set:
    6 x 200m coming in on 3m25s avg
    4 x 100m.
    Warm up and cool down for overall session of 1800m.

A LONG time since my last update due to holidays etc. Some of the below was written at the time and some is from memory.

Tuesday lunch:
    Easy lunch run of 7km with tomorrow 5km league race in mind.

Wednesday pm:
    4th Round of Midland Road League – pushed hard and equalled my PB of 17min18sec on a tough hilly course. Confident that I can go sub 17min on my current form but will have to wait a few weeks to hit the right course.

Thursday lunch:
    Easy running as legs were feeling last night’s efforts – 6km at more of a jog than a run. This morning’s swim session was canned due to one of our household not wanting to sleep when everyone else does :)

Friday lunch:
    Again, this morning’s planned pre work turbo was ditched due to exhaustion from being up a few times during the night. Lunchtime run was a quick 5km due to work being busy.

Saturday am:
    Very enjoyable club TT session early am. Left the house at 6.30am on the TT to meet up with club at 7am. 10km warm up followed by 4 x 5km all-out TT efforts. Really feeling it by the 4th rep but a great workout in the early morning sunshine and all done by 9am – a good morning’s honest effort. [Only downside was Garmin froze on the way over so no heart rate data :(]

Sunday am:
    Should have hit the turbo this morning but was glad of the rest to be honest. Hit the lake after for 2km open water session – a glorious evening for swimming with flat calm conditions.

28th May - Monday lunch:
    8km at 4min25sec pace just to get the legs in the mood again before Wednesday’s final league race (5km). A minor calf ache finishing up but stretched it well so should be fine hopefully. Avg HR of 151.

29th May - Tuesday lunch:
    2.5km into an easy run when calf tightened up again so ditched the run and walked back to the office. I’ve had calf issues in the past and have been complacent this year. Not going to run on it for the rest of the week. A bit of rescheduling of this week’s activities to be done.

30 May - Wednesday pm:
    Skipped the last of the road league series as calf is still sore and nothing to gain by running hard on it. Instead I hopped on to the turbo and did 10 mins warm up, 30 mins at HIM intensity (Avg HR of 131 bpm) and 15 mins cool down. Cycling is no problem with the dodgy calf so it could be a blessing in disguise :)     

1st June – Friday am:
    Another hour of turbo in anticipation of not doing a lot of cycling whilst on holidays. Same set as Wednesday with same effort.

Sat 2nd June to Sat 16th June: Two week family holiday in France. Training was nearly non-existent due to calf being rested (so no running) and travelling quite a bit with a toddler. I did manage the following from memory:
    750m swim
    2 x 5km runs
    90 mins mountain bike ride at a good intensity (avg 135 bpm).
    Other than that I mainly relaxed and ate some nice food :)

Sun 17th June:
    Ok, back into it this morning with a 60km solo TT effort. Kept HR at 130-135bpm and avy speed at 30.0 km/h. Happy enough with this effort after 2 weeks of down time.

Monday 18th June lunch:
    7.5km easy running at lunchtime. Mindful of calf muscle injury which still hasn’t been tested properly but all ok so far.

PM: Club swim session. 1.6km of slow drills and technique. Not a lot of distance but a difficult session all the same.

Tuesday 19th:
    Club aquathon tomorrow night so another easy run at lunch time. 7.5km.

Wednesday 20th:
    Having missed the first two rounds of the club aquathon series I was looking forward to giving this last one a good effort. Format is 750m swim followed by 4km run. Pushed hard ath the start of the swim and struggled to hold a high intensity for the second half. Still, exited the water in a PB of around 13.5 mins. Set about making up ground on the run and passed about 15 people on lap one. Was on course for a high finish but battled a stitch for the 2nd lap which held me back. Held my position for the 2nd lap for a 10th or 11thposition finish. Happy with this race as I wasn’t in great shape after the holiday.

Thursday 21st:
    Great intentions of an early morning turbo disappeared due to laziness/tiredness. Stretch the legs from last night with a 7.5km lunchtime run at a moderate pace, slightly above easy – kept it close to 4min/km.

Friday 22nd June:
    5km road race on streets of Mullingar. Was hoping to get close to 17min as my form this year would suggest that I was well capable of it. This was a tought course than I gave it credit for and the drag up the main street into the wind (x2) had me struggling badly. Even so I was only 2 seconds off my PB at 17m20s. (Really need to find a flat 5km race!)

Saturday 23rd:
    Up early for a 90km TT effort. Kept HR in the low 130s and didn’t worry about the pace. Felt quite fresh and pace was in the desired region at least.
    Time 3.01hours
    Pace: 30.0kmh
    HR – 134 avg.

Sunday 24th:
    Took part in a short criterium team race. 5km (ish) effort – short and intense.

Monday 25th June:
    Lunchtime – 7.5 km easy running
    Evening: Club swim session – technique and drills. 1500m total (incl w/up).

Tuesday 26th:
    Lunchtime – 7.5 km easy running

Wednesday 27th:
    Lunchtime – 7.5 km easy running – still minding my calf muscle so avoiding over stressing it for the moment. I’ve been here too many times before to over do it this time.

Thursday 28th:

Another 7.5km of easy running. Leg feeling stringer now and I’m fairly confident that regular easy running has improved things greatly.

Friday 29th am:

Early morning Turbo.

10 mins warm up

40 mins of HIM intensity work keeping heart rate in the mid 130s.

10 mins cool down.

Lunchtime:

7.5km run at a slightly higher than easy intensity.

Saturday:

5am alarm call for a longish solo TT effort. Ignored pace and focused on keeping HR in the mid 130s.

Time: 2h 29min

Dist: 74km

Avg Pace: 30.0 kph.

Reasonable happy with the effort. Had planned on going at least the full 90km but got a soaking half way through and cut it slightly short as a result.

Sunday:

Day off :)

Monday 2nd July:

Lunchtime: 7.5 km run with the middle 5km focused on keeping HR at 160 bpm which is the KIM run target. Avg pace for this section ended up in the region of 4m15sec per km as expected.

PM: Club swim session. Focus on stroke counting and technique.

Total dist – 1500m

Time – 40mins

Tuesday 3rd July:

Lunchtime run (7.5km) holding 3m50s pace for the final 4km. Not close to 5km race pace but just keeping a bit of intensity in there in the run up to Swinford which is back on the cards.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 4th:
    Lunchtime 7.5km run - easy

Thursday 5th:
    Lunchtime - 7.5km run - 2 x 1500 intervals at 5km pace. Felt strong and finished strongly.

Evening:
    1km open water swim. Beautiful evening and very enjoyable :)

Friday 6th:
    Lunchtime - 7km broken into 1km warmup and 5.5km holding 4min/km, then cool down.

Saturday - Planned early bike was canned as toddler was awake for a lot of the night - which means I was also. Numerous commitments today meant no training but didn't mind as body needed a good rest anyway.

Sunday - Early start for 2 hour bike ride. First hour holding mid 130s to 140 bpm into a slight headwind. Checked pace at 60 minutes and turned out I had held 30.0 kph and covered exactly 30km. Turned around for the return leg and held 33.6 kph coming home at the same steady HR.

Total - 60km
    Time - 1hr 53min
    Avg HR - 134 bpm

Monday 9th July:
    Lunch – 7.5km easy running

Tuesday 10th July:
    V busy at work this week. Nothing got done training wise today

Wednesday 11th July:
    Lunch – 7.5km easy running

Thursday 12th July:
    Another day of no training - see Tuesday above!

Friday 13th July:
    Easy lunchtime run with a small bit of intensity thrown in the middle to sharpen the legs for tomorrow

Saturday 14th July:
    Lanesboro Two Provinces Sprint Triathlon. Our club championship race.
    Decent swim, decent bike and held a good pace for the run. 18th position.
    Splits:
    Swim – 12m51s – 750m
    Bike – 34m17s – 20km
    Run – 19m11s – 5km.

Sunday 15th July:
    Time constraints meant just a light cycle in the afternoon to stretch the legs after yesterday. Just an easy 20km on the bike.

Monday 16th July:
    This week is taper for Swinford. Easy 7.5km run at lunchtime
    Club swim session in the PM. 1.8km including mainly technique work.

Tuesday 17th:
    Hadn’t planned on doing much today but absolutely swamped in work so didn’t get out at all.

Wednesday 18th:
    7.5km lunchtime run with 2 x 1500 at 5km pace in the middle.

Thursday 19th:
    Another day of nothing due to work commitments.

Friday 20th:
    1km open water swim with the club. 18mins while holding a little back with Sunday in mind.

Saturday 21st July:
    Up late and travelled down to Swinford for the Half Iron Race tomorrow.

Sunday 22nd July:
    Race report here.link
    In summary: 5hr 18min. Great race. Will be back again.

Monday 23rd:
    Club swim session this evening. Legs very stiff and sore today but felt a lot better after 10 x 100 and 10 x 50 counting strokes and working on technique (aka sitting at the back of the lane taking it easy……)

Tuesday 23rd and Wednesday 24th – turned into rest days due to work and life commitments but was happy enough to get the rest as the legs took a bit of a battering at the weekend.

Thursday 25th:
    Eased back into it with a 7.5km run with no watch. Legs felt fine and not suffering any ill effects from the weekend.

Friday 26th / Saturday 27th:
    More days off – not intentional but not too concerned either. I have to say last weekend took a lot out of me and glad to ease back into it in order to have a worthwhile block of training up until Galway.

Sunday 29th:
    Back in to it properly today. 52km in 1h45min. Intended going a for 2 hours but got a proper soaking so cut my losses and came home a little early.

Monday 30th lunchtime:
    7.5km at a little more than easy pace. Legs definitely felt a little sluggish but I had a caffeine overdone this morning which had me all over the place. Wont be doing that again in a hurry :)

Tuesday and wednesday:
    7.5km medium hard running each day - approx 4 min/km

Thursday 2nd August:
    Swamped at work.

Friday 3rd August:
    Lunchtime run – 7.5km decent pace. (Still need to get strap fixed on Garmin……)

Friday evening: Club open water 1km swim. Hammered it as hard as I could.

Saturday 4th August:
    Lots of stuff on in readiness for Club race next week so no training happened as I could not drag myself out of bed early enough :(

Sunday 5th August:
    30km cycle was the best I could manage today and even that was squeezed in at the last minute :)

Monday 6th August:
    Took advantage of the bank holiday to get first LSR in for a long time. Did approximately 16km in approx 1hr 15mins. Felt great and no niggles either.

Tuesday 7th August:
    Lunchtime run of 6km easy with legs a little heavy after yesterday.

Wednesday 8th August:
    Nada. Busy at work to get loose ends tidied up before having the next 2 days off for final preparations for CK this weekend.

Thursday 9th August:
    A full day spent putting the course together for your club’s NS race.

Friday 10th August:
    Attended the Defence Forces championships this morning which was run over the CK course. Marshal’s race this evening proved a good shake out – 800m swim, 14km bike and 4km run. No records set but made it back in 1h 5mins for 2ndplace.

Saturday 11th August:
    First time directing a race and interesting to see things from the other side of the fence.

Sunday 12th August:
    The word tired doesn’t even start to explain it. Will have to map out an effective 2.5 weeks in the lead up to Galway HIM if I am to put in any sort of performance. Hopefully this year’s racing won’t just peter out. Nothing done today.

Monday 13th August:
    Decent club swim session. 200 metre warm up followed by 10 x 200m on 4 mins. First tough pool session in an age and felt great after.

Tuesday 14th August:
    Work commitments meant nothing doing today.

Wednesday 15th August:
    7.5km run at lunch including 2 fast intervals of 1km each.

Thursday 16th August:
    7.5km run at lunch (easy).

Friday 17th August:
    7.5km run at lunch (medium pace)

Evening – 1.5km open eater swim.

Saturday 18th August:
    Early start (6am) for a 78km cycle maintaining desired HIM pace. Great to be out early and be finished before being missed.

Sunday 19th August:
    A planned run this morning didn’t happen. Open water swim in the evening – 1.6km.

Monday 20th August:
    Nada.

Tuesday 21st August:
    7.5km easy lunch run.

Wednesday 22nd August:
    7.5km with the middle 4km pushed at close to 5km pace.

Thursday 23rd August:
    7.5km easy lunch run.

Thursday 2nd August:
    Swamped at work.

Friday 3rd August:
    Lunchtime run – 7.5km decent pace. (Still need to get strap fixed on Garmin……)

Friday evening: Club open water 1km swim. Hammered it as hard as I could.

Saturday 4th August:
    Lots of stuff on in readiness for Club race next week so no training happened as I could not drag myself out of bed early enough :(

Sunday 5th August:
    30km cycle was the best I could manage today and even that was squeezed in at the last minute :)

Monday 6th August:
    Took advantage of the bank holiday to get first LSR in for a long time. Did approximately 16km in approx 1hr 15mins. Felt great and no niggles either.

Tuesday 7th August:
    Lunchtime run of 6km easy with legs a little heavy after yesterday.

Wednesday 8th August:
    Nada. Busy at work to get loose ends tidied up before having the next 2 days off for final preparations for CK this weekend.

Thursday 9th August:
    A full day spent putting the course together for your club’s NS race.

Friday 10th August:
    Attended the Defence Forces championships this morning which was run over the CK course. Marshal’s race this evening proved a good shake out – 800m swim, 14km bike and 4km run. No records set but made it back in 1h 5mins for 2ndplace.

Saturday 11th August:
    First time directing a race and interesting to see things from the other side of the fence.

Sunday 12th August:
    The word tired doesn’t even start to explain it. Will have to map out an effective 2.5 weeks in the lead up to Galway HIM if I am to put in any sort of performance. Hopefully this year’s racing won’t just peter out. Nothing done today.

Monday 13th August:
    Decent club swim session. 200 metre warm up followed by 10 x 200m on 4 mins. First tough pool session in an age and felt great after.

Tuesday 14th August:
    Work commitments meant nothing doing today.

Wednesday 15th August:
    7.5km run at lunch including 2 fast intervals of 1km each.

Thursday 16th August:
    7.5km run at lunch (easy).

Friday 17th August:
    7.5km run at lunch (medium pace)

Evening – 1.5km open eater swim.

Saturday 18th August:
    Early start (6am) for a 78km cycle maintaining desired HIM pace. Great to be out early and be finished before being missed.

Sunday 19th August:
    A planned run this morning didn’t happen. Open water swim in the evening – 1.6km.

Monday 20th August:
    Nada.

Tuesday 21st August:
    7.5km easy lunch run.

Wednesday 22nd August:
    7.5km with the middle 4km pushed at close to 5km pace.

Thursday 23rd August:
    7.5km easy lunch run.

Friday 24th August:
    2.4km open water swim. Felt fine but got fairly cold for the last 500m. Last 1km in approx 17m 30s.

Saturday 25th August:
    Went out for a run intending to do a tempo run and get the heart rate up for a while. Ended up doing 10km at 3m50s pace and setting what I think is a new PB for me for 10km of 38m21sec. This is more of a reflection on how rarely I run these distances against the clock. Decided after this to target 36mins for next year.

Sunday 26th August:
    Intended to do an hour or two easy on the bike this morning to stay fresh for next weekend but woke up with a sore throat and stuffy head so canned it.

Monday 27th August:
    Easy 5km run at lunch. Legs felt fine after Saturday's speedwork.

Tuesday 28th August:
    Busy at work and late home - nothing today.

Wednesday 29th August:
    Easy 5km at lunch.

• Advertisement

Friday 31st August:
    1.1km open water swim. Extremely choppy conditions – didn’t push it at all as this was just an effort to keep the body ticking over before Galway without tiring myself out.

Saturday 1st Sept:
    Up earl to travel down to Galway. Had intended getting into the sea even for a few moments as I hadn’t been in since this race last year. Stormy conditions meant that this was knocked on the head :(

Sunday 2nd September:
    Took a bit of a gamble pacing wise as I had a decent time in the back from Swinford and decided to throw caution to the wind this time out. Over cooked the bike slightly and suffered towards the end of the run. Still, home in 5h 25mins, more than 10 mins outside my goal and 7 mins slower than Swinford. Transitions account for a lot of the difference. Race report here.Report

Tuesday 4th Sept:
    Ventured out for a light jog at lunchtime. Ankles and knees were stiff after the weekend but felt a bit better after the jog.
    Dist: 5.0 km.
    Time: 25 mins.

Wednesday 5th Sept:
    Took another rest day :)

Thursday 6th Sept:
    Again a relatively easy 7.5 km jog at lunchtime. Have decided to enter a local 5 km tomorrow night so will have a proper blow out then.

Advertisement