Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference from a current employer

Options
  • 13-01-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can give me some advice on this please...

I have been offered a job but they are looking for a reference from my current employer. I really don't want this to happen as I know that my current employer will be seriously annoyed if he finds out Im leaving. I am not sure what he will say about me and whether he will even cooperate or decide to talk me down to my prospective employers. There is also a problem in that I applied for a specific position and stated that my current position is the same... although I do all the duties of this position and everyone in my current company refers to me as that person, I have never been formally awarded the position and I'm not sure if my current boss will decide to say this, thereby really putting my profile in doubt.

I really don't know what to do because I want to ask if its possible to break the news to him and see how he reacts... if I feel that he will be negative I don't want him to be a referee. I also don't want to break it to him if there is a possibility that they may withdraw the offer if he decides to give me a bad reference.

I may be wrong about this and he may decide that he should give me a good reference as I have been an excellent employee and I work well over and above what I should be doing (usually do about 10 - 15 hours extra a week without ever looking for compensation). I really don't want to risk my career and leave it in the hands of a person who has done me over more than one time before.

I have excellent references from previous employers that I would be happy to provide. I never heard of a company looking to talk to your current employers before? I am thinking that I should just hold my ground and say that I would like to keep my current employers out of it and see if they really want me and if they truly doubt my skill they can terminate my contract after the 6 month probationary period.

If anyone has any advice it would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is there anyone at your manager's level that could give a reference unofficially? That's what I did last time - got a manager with whom I'd worked a bit with to do it. So by the time I handed in my notice, everything was sorted.

Unfortunately, if you're relying on your line manager to give the reference, there is often that bit of limbo between handing in your notice and having the references checked out. A previous employer's reference might not be all that useful if it was a while ago, or if what you did there was quite different or quite junior to what you're doing in your current role.

I could get a great reference from my last employer, but since leaving 4 years ago my role has changed, so it just wouldn't be relevant to the jobs I would apply for now. If you hold your ground, then there's no way of them confirming that you did any of the stuff you say you did.

It's a bit of a gamble asking your boss to give the reference, but he'd have to be quite a dick to be vindictive about it. There's not much to gain by it. It might be an idea to wait a few days between resigning and him taking a call. In that time, you can impress upon him that you'll do everything in your power to hand over your duties etc, and just let the dust settle a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Is there anyone at your manager's level that could give a reference unofficially?

No, unfortunately not, the only person above me is the MD.
    A previous employer's reference might not be all that useful if it was a while ago

I have one from 3 years ago and the position would have been different but not too dissimilar. I can see why they would want to talk to my current boss as thats the part of my career they are most interested in.
    It's a bit of a gamble asking your boss to give the reference, but he'd have to be quite a dick to be vindictive about it. There's not much to gain by it. It might be an idea to wait a few days between resigning and him taking a call. In that time, you can impress upon him that you'll do everything in your power to hand over your duties etc, and just let the dust settle a bit.

Im beginning to think that I will just have to bite the bullet and do it. I have thought of a new angle that kind of makes the move essential, but I still don't know how he will react. I think I will just ask him straight out if he won't verify my position and my projects that he just tells them that he will confirm that I have worked there from X date to Y date and that the company policy is not to give personal references.

Its a poxy situation and I hate the fact that I am in it.

Thanks for your feedback anyhow Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah, unfortunately some managers can take it personally when someone resigns, so it's hard to say what will be said. So give it a few days between resigning and having the reference check done, and in the meantime impress upon him that you'll do everything in your power to make the transition as easy as possible for when you finish up. You want him to be thinking positively about you when he gets the call!

You'll also need to let him know the details of the job that you said you were doing. If you were honestly doing that job in all but name, then it should be OK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RoboRat wrote: »
    I think I will just ask him straight out if he won't verify my position and my projects that he just tells them that he will confirm that I have worked there from X date to Y date and that the company policy is not to give personal references.

I expect that he will confirm the position you actually hold and not the one you said you held in resume. In which case you're screwed, you new employer has caught you out on a lie and the old boss knows about your intention to leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It depends on how important the old boss sees titles as. Some companies don't put as much weight on them as others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

Im in the same sticky position. Would the reference need to be written or oral or both ? Im just gonna tell the boss the truth and if he doesnt want to give me a reference, then I will resign anyway and try to get another job. Its a bit unfair because some bosses will be peed off that a good member of staff is leaving and will try to stop them, thereby refusing to give a reference. Dont know if this will happen but anything is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Be honest with your existing employer, explain the situation to them and thank them for the opportunities they have given you.
    Most employers will take it personally initially but once you explain to them that it is not, they usually come round.

BTW the new employer looking for a reference was inevitable so I don't understand how you could not have seen this coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I expect that he will confirm the position you actually hold and not the one you said you held in resume. In which case you're screwed, you new employer has caught you out on a lie and the old boss knows about your intention to leave...

To be honest my job transitioned to this job and there was never any formal 'bestowing' of such, but my current role has massively changed from what it originally was so it would be extremely unfair to say otherwise... if this is the situation, can I go back to the other company and explain that he is being petty? Would they believe me?
    BTW the new employer looking for a reference was inevitable so I don't understand how you could not have seen this coming.

I have never been asked for a reference from my current employer. Its a bit off to do that as some employers may get bitter, especially if its a small organisation and they see you are leaving them up the creek.

Advertisement