Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rowing skiff hire or similar

Options
  • 13-01-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey there,

First post, so new enough to this, but basically saw part of an episode of Three Men in a Boat where the three lads took a rowing skiff down the Thames. It got me to thinking whether something similar can be done on the Shannon or the Grand Canal.

Did a quick search and found barges and large boat hire, but that might be a project for another time.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a skiff, although that looked pretty cool, but probably something a little bit more stable than a kayak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

that sounds pretty cool alright for a couple of hundred euro you could probably buy a small row boat secondhand with some sort of thing like this but second hand would suit perfectly but ideally it would be car mountable and fibreglass these 2 I would ring around and see if any of the boat hire places could do something for you. it would be a very nice thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Hey sheesh,

Thanks for the links, they look pretty good, although something more streamlined would probably be less work - not that I'm adverse to a bit of exercise at the same time, I'm just thinking of getting momentum up on one of those lake boats.

Like you said, one of the boat hire places could be a good place to start, but searches just seem to show up big swanky cruiser hire outfits. Do you reckon they'd have row boats as a sideline as well?

I suppose they'd probably know places that did rent them if they don't themselves...must look into it. Anybody out there who's done this already?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

also look at hiring a canadian canoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flying Fish

Japandamo wrote: »
    Anybody out there who's done this already?

You could try contacting Carrick on Shannon's Rowing Club. I was visiting there a few years ago and they had a few racks filled with touring rowing boats. From talking with one of the guys there, they were used by different families to head off down the Shannon for the summer holidays. They might be able to give you some info on what's out there or if hire is an option.

Ps. A group of us headed down the Barrow (closer to home) last year with a combination of boats, canoes, anything that floated really and it was an amazing trip. Go for it :-)

Advertisement