Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the clinical finish....the return of the kill squad

Options
  • 13-01-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

I feel we are missing some things when it comes to tactics in battle. i could be wrong(please feel free to support this idea :P) but i feel we are using the wrong tanks for Attack(not assault)

lets say we use E100 and Maus for our attacking force with meds or T30's supporting them(meds and T30's are good support snipers) they can deal with the flanks of our attack hys.

use a med and IS7 or 2 IS7s to cover the other flank and the rest of the fast movers can be held near centre-(in sand river, the hollows in front of the bases)
    they can cover either flank or centre if needed. our arty, well i am no expert there so someone else please add to it, but i see our deployment is usually good. I am really only good with tanks :P

I would like our attack to move at the speed of our slowest tank-Maus/E1000.
    they engage the enemy head on. our faster tanks are not caught up in this and their speed is not wasted by being stuck in another slugg fest.

Ze German tanks are good for this but we do need to mix up the effect of our tanks E100 and a T30 is a good combo, add another tank(platoon) and they will hurt/scare any enemy dealing with the attack.

Maybe i suggest this as i an usually on the weak flank defending and i just sit there for most battles:(

as for TS, i do like us all in together: here is a idea i got from my old job and bastadised it
    Our groups going, attack, defence or scout/holding in group "attack divide into 2 groups (A &B) with our other group being 1 & 2- clarifies who is being asked to help/do things on the fly. "2, hit that E100" or "B fall back, A will cover u"

Also, while our arty is supporting one side, we need to be more aggressive with our tanks sitting around doing nothing(defence) by pushing on a bit, u can change the enemies ideas of what we are doing
    we can run our fast force behind a scout be it a IS7 or a med.

I would like for us to have a Field Commander with 2 or 3 assistant commanders for the battle that call it together, as we are missing things at the mo on ts. the attack, the other flank, the arty and the FC. with the group codes it will be a bit easier.

We should/could(?) look at getting platoons together that work well together, no point sending someone to attack if they will just go for cover at the first chance, or having a defender going off to attack(these scenarios are usually where we loose a tank due to no support from those near by. have to work tight together.
    just some ideas about tanks, which is the better attack tank? A IS7, A E100, Maus or T30?

please feel free to find holes and work on it, i just dont like us losing tanks in the wrong fight.
    ps no treading on toes intended :P

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I tap dance on people's toes btw; so people don't feel treading on toes these days...

I think a general concept we're missing (and we've gone back and forth on it) are:

1) Concentrated fire - 1 target, all take the shot
    2) Priority targets - We should always go for damaged tanks, French tanks, DPS tanks (T30, TDs, E100s) rest in that order but usually on shoot at what we can
    3) Killing tanks - I've often seen us losing 15 tanks to 2 and 10 other tanks are in low triple digits but are still alive (and dealing damage as if they were fresh)
    4) Teaching people how to go from ok/good to excellent in their tanks and performance no the battle field (including me!)

This all ties in to a concept I've seen with devestating effect (Westfield 150 point team we had in land battle) of 3 man groups of 1/2 DPS and a tank. All three shot one target at the time (and stuck together so all could take a shot around same time as well) and killed of tank after tank rapidly working through our tanks with 1 commander per group calling the shots (and killed our whole team of 3 arty, 12 T 10s in about 3 min).

The commanders needs to be given a general direction at start and then be given pretty much free hand to deliver the results (until the over all BC needs the battle group to go somewere else). On a "normal" map I'd expect to see 4 to 6 battle groups (base defence, arty, attack 1, attack 2, attack 3, scout 1). They should all be in seperate channels (reduced amount of cross talking/commenting) and have their goals set by the BC before match. Ideally Attack 1 and 2 should both be at seperate flanks (i.e. river and hills on Tebessa, north and south on Sand river) so that if one gets bogged down the other side can still keep on going (and force their arty to split attention between locations) rather then our current route of heavy swing (all go one way or the other).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

was talking with Bruffio and he mentioned their mumble server and what they could do, Commander with other commanders in a over channel and platoon in sub channels with the commanders talking to the overall commander.
    its a option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only questing is were to host it and for how many :P

I'd happily have one set up / abuse existing once but people need to be willing to chip in for one (for reference it's about 7.5 EUR a month for 50 users using Shellfire or Mumblevioce)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Fionn Mc Coule

Nody wrote: »
    Only questing is were to host it and for how many :P

I'd happily have one set up / abuse existing once but people need to be willing to chip in for one (for reference it's about 7.5 EUR a month for 50 users using Shellfire or Mumblevioce)

I know it not much but i feel people have to spend enough on this game already and dont need extra expense when we have a completely adequate, as far as i can see all that is needed is people setting their ts to mute mic while battle is on and the battle commanders the only ones allowed to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Karma wrote: »
    was talking with Bruffio and he mentioned their mumble server and what they could do, Commander with other commanders in a over channel and platoon in sub channels with the commanders talking to the overall commander.
    its a option.

This can be done on TS also, no problem.

We have tried to implement it before, and one concept I used to constantly plug was 'comms discipline'. It was something that was drilled into me when I was a part of a large American clan in Battlefield.

1 Commander, can speak to the 'sub commanders'. Sub commanders can then speak to each other & commander, OR their squad. 2 seperate buttons used for PTT - one for your squad, one for the commander channel.

Another thing we need to sort out on comms, is HOW to call out information. People randomly shouting 'maus' or 'get that E-100' really is of not much use.

However, if someone calls their tag, i.e I'd call 'Dub', then commander / sub commander would say 'go ahead' to which I would give the appropriate info. 'Arty required, E-100 at J7'

This might seem long winded, but it all takes less than 2 seconds in reality. It keeps random chatter to a minimum (the whole clan doesn't need to know that some b0ll0x tracked you / took out your engine) etc

This way info is clear, concise and necessary.

Also, grid references should ALWAYS be given when you are trying to give info in the channel.

In addition to this, owing to some members difficulty in deciphering others accents, we need to ensure all players know, and use the phonetic alphabet.

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot etc etc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

This also applies to numbers, which should be said clearly, and phonetically:

Zee-ro, Wun, too, tree, fow-er, fife and so on. (all in link above).

Effective communication is 'half the battle'.

The idea for the Field Commanders in the clan, would be the guys whose job it is to be in control of a platoon and arrange their tactics from the micro level, whereas the Commander / Deputy's would take the battle commander role, and manage tactics from a higher, macro level.

We do not concentrate enough on the simple things - if driving to a way-point - staying in cover / which route offers best arty protection / less chance of being spotted.
    When in position, which rocks / building to be beside to avoid enemy fire.
    Combined target acquisition and concentrated firing.
    As Dan pointed out (and something I'm always giving out about) - TAKE OUT THE TANK ON LOW HP!!!!!!!! Who cares what XP you gain, take the tank / gun out of the battle. 1 tank on 100% HP is a LOT easier than 2 on 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

In addition to this, owing to some members difficulty in deciphering others accents, we need to ensure all players know, and use the phonetic alphabet.

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot etc etc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

This also applies to numbers, which should be said clearly, and phonetically:

Zee-ro, Wun, too, tree, fow-er, fife and so on. (all in link above).

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Tango Hotel Alfa Tango :)

the rest of the points are good though and another thing worth mentioning is, if you are close to death, its better to pull back from the fight and reposition rather than getting one more shot off before you die.

ZZR1100 wrote: »
    Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Tango Hotel Alfa Tango :)

the rest of the points are good though and another thing worth mentioning is, if you are close to death, its better to pull back from the fight and reposition rather than getting one more shot off before you die.

You'd only have to learn up to K Frag :P even for you, that shouldn't be too hard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Yep we need to start down this road to try to reduce chatter (a bugbear of mine during matches is the "some just shot me took 300 hp off me etc" )

Also Targettting will need to be done by the FC as a discipline , like you said Dub reducing the opposite teams DPM (damage per min) is the most important thing ,

The phonetic thing isnt needed really , just the grid position in my opinion

[DF]Lenny wrote: »
    Yep we need to start down this road to try to reduce chatter (a bugbear of mine during matches is the "some just shot me took 300 hp off me etc" )

Also Targettting will need to be done by the FC as a discipline , like you said Dub reducing the opposite teams DPM (damage per min) is the most important thing ,

The phonetic thing isnt needed really , just the grid position in my opinion

Its so everyone understands the grid position.

i.e Alpha, Zee-ro [A0]

We have had cases of tanks going the wrong way because people did not understand the grid reference they were told to go to.

Also, the grid reference MUST be given. Not just 'the town on the south there' or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

zappa, one_Kal, K99, Chachee to charlie niner .
    charlie is not on ts
    nineball : where am i to go again ?
    Not you.
    Nutboy: i am in the town.
    Fionn: ahhhhhhhh arrrrrttttttyy baattttered me.

sry im bored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

ZZR1100 wrote: »
    zappa, one_Kal, K99, Chachee to charlie niner .
    charlie is not on ts
    nineball : where am i to go again ?
    Not you.
    Nutboy: i am in the town.
    Fionn: ahhhhhhhh arrrrrttttttyy baattttered me.

sry im bored

U need to say k99_64 in full....great cause it looks small and takes ages to say.

Advertisement