Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advide needed on first time renting room in shared house

Options
  • 13-01-2012 4:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for advice as I'm going to rent a room in sharing. Have no experience in living in shared house.
    Can anybody advise me on what to check before you sign a contract on sharing etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Very important is to check what type of lease you will have. If you will be a named person on a lease for a whole house or if you will have your own lease for your bedroom and shared facilities.
    In the latter case, you will not be able to make a claim with the PRTB as that type of arrangement is outside the scope of the PRTB.

Sharing is all very well if you are able to get on with the other tenants. However, there are often disputes about utility bills and how they are divided among the tenants. Also disputes arise when there are "character" differences between all the tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Just make sure you understand the lease/contract correctly e.g. if one person moves out while you are living there, are you, along with the remaining tenants, liable to pay extra to cover that person's rent? Do they have to find a replacement tenant to take over their part of the lease before they move out? Or do the remaining tenants have to do it?

Also, make sure you understand clearly how the shared house bills are organised between the tenants from the start.

It will also be helpful to ask all your questions via e-mail to the landlord/agent and other tenants, so you have in writing something to fall back on in times of dispute or house disagreements.
    There's nothing worse, IMO, when constant disagreements result in:
    "She said, he said.. No! I never said.."

Good luck!

(Hope you don't have to hide your food in your bedroom like I had to years ago - a boyfriend of a girl in a house share use to love raiding my food cupboard after the pub, weekends were very bad for my food stores :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Judge the potential share on the people and nottthe house. I have had some great times in fairly average houses/apartments but some nightmares in great places with terrible flatmates. Make sure you meet everyone at the same time before you move in. See how they interact with each other. Inmy experience a mix of lads and girls works best.

Advertisement