Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips to get over being a wimp?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Basically I'm terrified of waves over 4ft ( I am well aware that this is totally wimpy and pathetic). I'm a handy swimmer and fit enough. Last year I picked up the courage to go out back on a larger day 4-5ft spanish point and i was absolutely obliterated, got washed up on the shore from out back. Ive progressed a lot since then and last weekend i was even standing on 4ft waves, but then I got slammed into my board and came out rather badly bruised. Im pretty sure that my lack of confidence in this size surf holds me back from cathcing and standing on the waves. Funny thing is I'm not that afraid of larger waves on a bodyboard.

I'm just wondering basically if anyone else used to be scared of biggish waves when they were learning and how did they get over it? Being in the shallows isn't really where i want to stay, but Ive no intention of being a reef surfer etc. Ideally i just wanna be able to get out back somewhere like inchydoney, castlefreke or lahinch and ride 4-6ft waves and not be a big woos about it all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

When I surf a spot I'm nervous about I kinda like to wipeout, just to see how bad it is... Kinda takes some of the fear away, also if there are other surfers, sit on the shoulder and watch the take off places.

Also think shadowing helps, look for a surfer with a similar board, watch they take a few waves, paddle out to where they sit and take off, basically just copy what they are doing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

cheers rodento :) copying sounds like a great plan :D i must try it more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

not all reefs are equal, there are some deep water ones that get pretty big and you don't need to hit the bottom so don't rule them out for that reason.

your confidence will come in time if it's meant to, plenty of surfers i know that have been surfing for years don't like anything past waist or shoulder high, it's just the way they are, don't need the buzz of the bigger waves.

personally i'd pretty much go out in any size and love the thrill of a huge wave, generally get less waves and more bustings on those type of days though :D

keep plugging away, the earlier you can get into the larger waves the less scary they are, the waves you're already surfing would be terrifying for someone who doesn#t surf so don't be too hard on yourself and keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Forgot to add, on big days I love watching the first wave of a set clean out the line up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Wouldn't blame anyone for freaking a little when they are out with a big wave. Before you were a surfer you probably thought they were a lot worse when watching from the shore so it's only natural. I get it with big'uns especially when they make absolutely bits of me. I suppose getting involved bit by bit is the best way to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I also get attacks of the 'holy ****s' when I paddle into a wave thats too big for my ability. Sometimes I chicken out on the big ones and wait for a smaller one to come rolling in. Thats how I cope with it anyway!

Advertisement