Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy prices in UK dropping,why not in Ireland???

Options
  • 13-01-2012 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

All the major UK energy suppliers have just announced gas and leccy cost reductions of around 5% from Febuary onwards.Just been announced on Sky News

So how come Bord Gais,Airtricity and ESB Electric Ireland arent doing this over here???

Or is it another case or excuse here in Ireland to keep quiet and get more money out of people???:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 truthspeaker

Ireland will copy the UK eventually as with everything else, but your right Ireland will drag thier heels for as long as poss to shaft people for as long as poss because that is what Ireland does best, shaft people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The UK get their gas from a different supply to us as far as I know and a good chunk of the electricity in the UK is supplied from France.

Apple and Oranges really. Then you have the Paddy factor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Well Sky News are saying that the cost of gas and oil,electric power production on a global scale is set to drop/plummet this year,so the cost to the public will come down too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The answer is in the question......Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

charlemont wrote: »
    The answer is in the question......Ireland.

Yeah,I know.

The CER hasnt got the balls to stand up and make them cut prices.But they are quick to grant them big big increases though.
    I think that the CER and these various utility companies are all in bed with each other.:rolleyes::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yeah,I know.

The CER hasnt got the balls to stand up and make them cut prices.But they are quick to grant them big big increases though.
    I think that the CER and these various utility companies are all in bed with each other.:rolleyes::mad:

Damn right too, Its a cartel.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

And the best part of it all is we have enough of our own oil and gas out there to make us one of the richest countries in the world ah but sure lets just give it away and then buy it back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Prices in UK have fallen 5%, how far has the euro fallen against the dollar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

I haven't watched the news this afternoon but it was only EDF that was cutting its price by 5%. It's not a great deal as over the last year UK customers have seen a price rise of around 23% in the last year.

EDF say that the main reasons why the price has dropped is the lower cost of gas due to less demand due to the mild winter so far.

I think all the energy companys are crooks and would like the UK energy companys to be state owned and not private.

All the other big six energy firms in the UK dont have any plans to reduce their prices when asked.

I think Ireland does very well and seems very fair to pensioners and those on welfare. Welfare payments here are higher.

Council tax rates in the UK are very expensive at least £1000+ for a basic terraced house and you have to pay for a second home too unless covered by exemptions.

Fuel allowance here for people on welfare or retired below certain earnings.
    In the UK people on welfare get nothing and have to pay top rate like anyone else. Pensioners only get between £200 and £300 as a yearly payment over 65 years of age.

Not all is good here or the UK. Car tax is crazy here. In the UK my 23 year old 2.3 litre volvo estate would be £215 for the year in the UK or 976 euro here:eek:

In the UK I could just insure my only car a volvo 240 on classic car insurance fully comp with agreed value and breakdown assistance included for £150 for the year. I currently pay around 600euro.

I would love Ireland to copy the UK in some things but love the rural beauty of Ireland.

It's really swings and roundabouts versus costs as they give with one and take away with the other.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Correct the energy prices went up 18 - 20% in 2010 and now when there is no demand the price comes down 5%. In September it will go back up. The suppliers already contracted to buy the energy at a price for months in advance so they are playing financial games to maximise profit. No point in high charges when no one is buying. Drop prices and say look how good we are but then be "forced" to increase them when they think demand will reap the highest rewards. It is business. Sadly there is no true competition just gestures - a bit like the ferry fares!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Mod Edit, heinbloed I removed your comments as they add add nothing to the thread and will only take it off track.

Please read the forum charter before posting

Advertisement