Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a hack

Options
  • 13-01-2012 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

my son and his friend playing mw3, not live just shooting each other in the split screen.

All of a sudden a new player enters in thier game. they both tried to shoot him but to no avail. I instantly told them to turn off the console for fear of it being hacked. Was I right in that it could have been a hack or is this a common happening on mw3.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Was the Xbox connected to Xbox live? Was it connected to a network? What mode where they playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 laoisfella

Was the Xbox connected to Xbox live? Was it connected to a network? What mode where they playing?

its connect to xbox live he says he was playing private mode split screen. wireless network.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Depends what mode I suppose.

I don't play split screen much but you were always able to do combat training in black ops or whatever it's called in mw3 and it would either add bots or it was public and anybody could join.. so probably not a hack, just someone looking for friends, and now he's probably lonely.

laoisfella wrote: »
    its connect to xbox live he says he was playing private mode split screen. wireless network.

Oh if it was private then I don't know, sorry :(

I don't think there are bots on MW3, more than likely someone on his friends list invited themselves into the game. There is a Join Session in Progress option to all profiles playing a game on Xbox Live, I am 99.9% sure the Xbox has not been hacked.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. hope it hasn't too. only have the thing since christmas and we are all enjoying it. be a shame if something was to happen.

more than likely someone on his friends list invited themselves into the game.

That's what first came into my head, but when I assumed you would have known if it was a friend of his; but ye, I doubt it was hacked either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Thanks lads. hope it hasn't too. only have the thing since christmas and we are all enjoying it. be a shame if something was to happen.

Your game gets hacked so you quit and start again. It's not like PC hacking that can do really bad stuff, you'll be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

my son and his friend playing mw3, not live just shooting each other in the split screen.

All of a sudden a new player enters in thier game. they both tried to shoot him but to no avail. I instantly told them to turn off the console for fear of it being hacked. Was I right in that it could have been a hack or is this a common happening on mw3.

Thanks

do you even know what your supposedly afraid of.......hack,....can you define hack.......the player might,ve been on their team...might,ve just avoided the shots.....mightve been a laggy connection...........as for how he joined......if he was a friend or even someone your son or his friend had previously played with....they hav the ability to join them in a private session.(you can change these settings)

honestly....what did you think someone was trying to do..........there are maybe 200 people on trhe planet who could get into you router through an xbox connection AND use that acccess for a useful task........if someone is that talented....they wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

denballs wrote: »
    do you even know what your supposedly afraid of.......hack,....can you define hack.......the player might,ve been on their team...might,ve just avoided the shots.....mightve been a laggy connection...........as for how he joined......if he was a friend or even someone your son or his friend had previously played with....they hav the ability to join them in a private session.(you can change these settings)

honestly....what did you think someone was trying to do..........there are maybe 200 people on trhe planet who could get into you router through an xbox connection AND use that acccess for a useful task........if someone is that talented....they wouldnt bother.

Have some respect, not all people are familiar with xbox live.

• Advertisement

sorry if i seemed a bit harsh....i just dont like the misuse of words such as hack...and creating hysteria over nothing

YES i overreacted...so ill give you useful advice instead

If you are at all worried about any sort of unwanted online activity...i would highly suggest you look into wether your routers firewall is modern version ....you can get advice on your router and possible upgrades from your internet provider.

YES i overreacted...so ill give you useful advice instead

If you are at all worried about any sort of unwanted online activity...i would highly suggest you look into wether your routers firewall is modern version ....you can get advice on your router and possible upgrades from your internet provider.

Alternatively.......he........can......go.......on.......boards........and........ask......for.......advice........and........not.........be.......made.........feel...........stoopid.

Seriously if you have no constructive opinion, feel free to keep it to yourself, instead of trying to be a smartarse.

Alternatively.......he........can......go.......on.......boards........and........ask......for.......advice........and........not.........be.......made.........feel...........stoopid.

Seriously if you have no constructive opinion, feel free to keep it to yourself, instead of trying to be a smartarse.

how about you take your own advice you useless arrogant troll

how about you take your own advice you useless arrogant troll

Just proving a point ;) Not nice is it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

denballs, I felt you could have initially responded better but you apologized so that's fine.

Warmachine, warning for personal insult.

denballs, warning for replying to him with a personal insult.

Guys, keep on topic please.

lads lads lads chillax. I didnt know what was what as i only have the console since christmas and i was a bit worried something mite have happened. thankfully nothing did and if i did misuse the word hack, maybe cause i wasnt to sure. either way its sorted and nothing happened so all is well.

So thanks for all the positive feedback even the 1s on the second round ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eskoflip

THe Moderator has spoken. SILENCE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

All that it was that either some one on your sons friend list or some one in the recent players list just decided to join. It happens the whole time, wouldn't be worried about it at all.Sometimes people just join games in progress as they're having trouble finding games.
    Not overly sure,but think you can change the private game settings to invite only so it won't happen again.
    Only way the xbox would get hacked is if you share details about the log in or such. You'll probably over the course of playing get used to the random messages offering glitching lobbies or promising free microsoft points and stuff. When it happens just click on block communications and report the player.Probably worth while mentioning it to the son as well as alot of the scams usually prey on younger players that wouldn't see anything wrong with sharing details. COD used to be rife with it but not so much in mw3.Plenty of infected lobby invites but that another story all together.
    Generally the xbox is as safe as it gets just as long as you don't do anything stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Honestly it could of just been another friend of his logging on, I wouldnt worry too much about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Absolutely. The idea that somebody is doing some sort of point of service hack is highly unlikely.

Advertisement