Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a post box in Dublin

Options
  • 13-01-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

not sure what is the right forum to post this in but I am after posting something valuable into a post box in the city centre and I really need it back. The next post collection from the box is Monday evening would I be able to get it open over the weekend? has anyone ever done this before? I posted it about 5.45 and it said collections are at 5.30 so I am sure I missed todays and the item is still in the box! Anyone able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wouldn't the time have been changed if it was collected to the earliest time?

Best bet would be to ring An Post or maybe chance your arm at going to the post box on Monday morning for first collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Once you have posted something, it is the duty of An Post to get it to the addressee. You can not get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭ei9go

The time on the box is not the time of collection.

It is the latest time you should post at to guarantee collection.

The actual collection could be well after this time depending on what point in the collection schedule, the box in question is.

It's likely that the item has been collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And your going to walk up to the postman and demand the letter/package? Don't know if thats going to work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

hi guys,

not sure what is the right forum to post this in but I am after posting something valuable into a post box in the city centre and I really need it back. The next post collection from the box is Monday evening would I be able to get it open over the weekend? has anyone ever done this before? I posted it about 5.45 and it said collections are at 5.30 so I am sure I missed todays and the item is still in the box! Anyone able to help?

Your only real option is to go to the address you posted it to and ask for it back, assuming it is correctly address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Thanks for the help guys, it was an envelope with no address on it, no stamp and it is the contents which are quite important to me, its not money or anything of value to anybody other me really. I was posting a lot of mail and this got caught up in the middle of the real post by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Thanks for the help guys, it was an envelope with no address on it, no stamp and it is the contents which are quite important to me, its not money or anything of value to anybody other me really. I was posting a lot of mail and this got caught up in the middle of the real post by mistake.

no name no address ,gonna be hard to prove it belongs to you,there must be a number on the postbox that u can ring to talk to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

My advice would be to ring the GPO in Dublin , tell them where you posted it as it's a friday I doubt the stuff has gone into sorting already , they should be able to find out for you what office and subsequently what driver would be collecting this .
    The boxes are scanned at times of collection so easy to find out . I'd imagine you have a reasonable chance of getting whatever it is you posted back . It may also be gone to one of the distribution centres which the gpo should be able to give you contact numbers for. Best of luck in your search.

CyberJuice wrote: »
    no name no address ,gonna be hard to prove it belongs to you,there must be a number on the postbox that u can ring to talk to someone

There is a number but it is only open 9-5.30 Mon - Fri, would like to get this sorted before Monday.

Supraman wrote: »
    My advice would be to ring the GPO in Dublin , tell them where you posted it as it's a friday I doubt the stuff has gone into sorting already , they should be able to find out for you what office and subsequently what driver would be collecting this .
    The boxes are scanned at times of collection so easy to find out . I'd imagine you have a reasonable chance of getting whatever it is you posted back . It may also be gone to one of the distribution centres which the gpo should be able to give you contact numbers for. Best of luck in your search.

Would be hard enough to prove it is mine all right but I can tell the exact contents, time it was posted at etc. would be hoping for a little human trust. As I said previously it is really not of any use to many and I think a lot of people would actually just bin it straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 suzyball

Hey I used to work in an post after the bags are collected they are brought to the Dublin mail centre for sorting. This is a 24 hour operation in Dublin 12. You could try contacting them. A letter without an address is called a 'blind' letter and will be sent to the blind section for opening and possible identification of its contents and return to its owner. Often these items ate delivered to a section called the 'rlb' returns letters branch which is in roscommon they are then returned to their rightful owner this way. Dont delay contact the Dublin mail centre immediately . Hope this helps you .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

suzyball wrote: »
    Hey I used to work in an post after the bags are collected they are brought to the Dublin mail centre for sorting. This is a 24 hour operation in Dublin 12. You could try contacting them. A letter without an address is called a 'blind' letter and will be sent to the blind section for opening and possible identification of its contents and return to its owner. Often these items ate delivered to a section called the 'rlb' returns letters branch which is in roscommon they are then returned to their rightful owner this way. Dont delay contact the Dublin mail centre immediately . Hope this helps you .

very helpful to the OP.

thank you!! A great reply! How is the best way to contact the mail centre? Via the GPO or is there a telephone number? If you have the office number could you please private mail to me? Thanks you

thank you!! A great reply! How is the best way to contact the mail centre? Via the GPO or is there a telephone number? If you have the office number could you please private mail to me? Thanks you

A quick Google there a the number is listed as 7057000 but as far as I can remember this is the main an post switch board . Try it and see. But u might not get an answer.

A quick Google there a the number is listed as 7057000 but as far as I can remember this is the main an post switch board . Try it and see. But u might not get an answer.

Any joy op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Post boxes in Dublin are opened at 11am and 5.30pm and some have a 4pm collection. It's worth noting that the route starts at 11am so depending on where the box is on the drivers route it could be closer to 12.30pm again it's opened in the morning

Any joy op?

Got talking to a post woman in the GPO very few boxes open at the weekend now she left a note but recommended i be at the box at 5:30 monday evening when the post man opens it, if he is nice she said he will hand me my envelope as it should be at the end! I am actually not as worried turns out I can replace the contents Monday hopefully at a little cost but not much so all good! Thanks for all the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Got talking to a post woman in the GPO very few boxes open at the weekend now she left a note but recommended i be at the box at 5:30 monday evening when the post man opens it, if he is nice she said he will hand me my envelope as it should be at the end! I am actually not as worried turns out I can replace the contents Monday hopefully at a little cost but not much so all good! Thanks for all the help guys!

So was it a LUUURRRVVVVVEEEEE letter?

So was it a LUUURRRVVVVVEEEEE letter?

no I wish was some important work related stuff! Most people would throw them out but I need them but as I said hopefully I can replace the contents Monday and noone is any the wiser!!

Advertisement