Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shut Up and Play The Hits - LCD Soundsystem

• 13-01-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Anyone know if/when this will hit Irish cinemas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Premiering at Sundance next week, probably June in IFI if at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can't wait for this myself!

According to this it will be released in States in June "in special one-night-only engagements in theaters nationwide this summer." and "with a UK/ Europe release expected shortly afterward."

http://www.gigwise.com/news/71937/LCD-Soundsystem-movie-gets-summer-release-date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

any word on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulski1983

A few of my mates have been pestering the Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield to show this as soon as it becomes available. The more people who show interest the more chance there is of them screening it. Get on to them @LightHouseD7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've been emailing Movies @ Dundrum asking them if they'll show it. Anyone else from the area and who are interested in it, can ye spam http://www.movies-at.ie/dundrum/contact.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I've been emailing Movies @ Dundrum asking them if they'll show it. Anyone else from the area and who are interested in it, can ye spam http://www.movies-at.ie/dundrum/contact.php

Done although I'd say there's a better chance from the lighthouse, I just can't access twitter in work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd imagine the Lighthouse will get this as well.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'd imagine the Lighthouse will get this as well.

Lighthouse have it set for the 5th but not sure will that include the Q&A with James Murphy (he might only do it for screenings on the 4th)

http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=details&PHPSESSID=ssa1ctuq15gpb6rel92as5u0i5&eventCode=8426

Strange. In the last few minutes they have removed the 5th showing. I was seeing could I buy tickets and the screening "expired".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Light House have it on the 4th - they said they tweeted 5th by mistake
    http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/newsarticle.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=1467&PHPSESSID=5pf6guhtqblijndq41ui9436v4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Lighthouse sold out Screen 1 really quickly so they're now showing it in 2 screens simultaneously.

Their online system is having trouble dealing with demand so get on the phone to get your tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

So only two cinemas in the whole country showing it so far?
    And on a tuesday night?

What's the deal?

sudzy wrote: »
    So only two cinemas in the whole country showing it so far?
    And on a tuesday night?

What's the deal?

Well it's the night of the UK premiere and there's going to be a live link to a Q & A with James Murphy so that's why it's on a Tuesday.

You could ask the Lighthouse will they be showing the film again after that night but I imagine it won't be as much of an event as the launch night.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Well it's the night of the UK premiere and there's going to be a live link to a Q & A with James Murphy so that's why it's on a Tuesday.

You could ask the Lighthouse will they be showing the film again after that night but I imagine it won't be as much of an event as the launch night.

Plus its the night after I'll be back from Electric Picnic and knackered! Damn!

IFI sold out also even though their website said last week that tickets were not going on sale until tomorrow (Tuesday 31st). They put them on sale last Friday or Saturday.

So missed out on tickets myself.

SachaJ wrote: »
    IFI sold out also even though their website said last week that tickets were not going on sale until tomorrow (Tuesday 31st). They put them on sale last Friday or Saturday.

So missed out on tickets myself.

Surely there will be more than one showing if demand is this high? It would be nice but don't really care about the James interview , mostly just want to see and especially hear it on the big screen/soundsystem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Please tell me it's not sold out already or have the tickets been released yet?

That was quick. Missed out again

The Lighthouse online system has trouble at busy times. Try ringing them to book - that's what I had to do previously - 01 8728006.

The film is showing in loads more cinemas on the 4th now. And there's a general release on the 7th.

http://www.nialler9.com/lcd-soundsystem-documentary-irish-date/

The film is showing in loads more cinemas on the 4th now. And there's a general release on the 7th.

Woohoo

More tickets for the Lighthouse 4th Sept screening have been released:

http://www.onlinecinematickets.com/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=details&PHPSESSID=2mkost6aslpraeag2t5suo73r7&eventCode=8426

[edit] Never mind - sold out in a few minutes. [/edit]

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems to be showing in a lot more places now, the cinema in Castlebar have it on the 4th too with the live Q&A and everything. Delighted!! The Eye in Galway are also screening it that night.

Does anyone know if the screenings tomorrow night will also include the live Q and A session? I see it's mentioned in the screenings in the IFI and the Lighthouse, but the screens in Dundrum or Tallaght fail to mention it.

Anyone going to the Lighthouse tonight? Should be good fun!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just back from this. Thought the film was brilliant. Great great music and a pretty emotional documentary in it's own right. Enjoyed the live Q & A afterwards too.

Only bummer was the screening I was at (Castlebar) only had about ten people so it felt kind of subdued, would love to have seen it with full house of fellow LCD fans. Felt like we should be up dancing or something. It didn't detract from the film too much though.

How was the Lighthouse screening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It was pretty great at the Lighthouse, people cheered and clapped along, there was a really nice atmosphere right from the get go. The red carpet stuff was pretty, well, unintentionally entertaining.

I was a little distracted by just how incredibly irritating the interviewer guy's Mort Goldman voice was, and there were a few minutes of James looking wistfully out of windows I could have done without, it felt like they laid that on a little thicker than necessary. All the sentiment the movie needed was in that one little scene where he has a last look at the band's gear before it's sold off.

But that's just griping. The film was great, the atmosphere was great, and I choked up a little towards the end, I'm not going to lie. I enjoyed it, a lot, and it's a beautifully made film, but now that I've seen it I've seen it - given the choice, I'd rather just watch the MSG show itself again rather than the movie around it. That's one of the big problems with trying to make a documentary around a band like this; you can't do it without showing them do their thing, but when you do, you leave me wanting to just watch that instead.

What a band though.

I was in screen 2 in the Lighthouse and it was very subdued. Might have been the fact that the dubbing was a second or two out of sync. Actually got to the stage where I couldn't look at the screen as it was really annoying.

Was it supposed to be in black and white also?

Edit: looking at trailers which are in colour. Our showing was b&w. Zero colour throughout the screening.

They did give us a free ticket afterwards but doesn't make up for the atmosphere. If it started in b&w, I don't know why they didn't just stop/start it a few minutes in.

I'd hope that the DVD/Blu Ray release of the film has the full gig to watch on it.

The red carpet stuff before the film was so bad we thought it might have just been a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

I'd hope that the DVD/Blu Ray release of the film has the full gig to watch on it.

The red carpet stuff before the film was so bad we thought it might have just been a joke.

Murphy was on with Dave Fanning on 2FM the other morning and said that the full gig will be on the blu-ray.

padraig.od wrote: »
    Murphy was on with Dave Fanning on 2FM the other morning and said that the full gig will be on the blu-ray.

Yea I think I heard them mention that the gig is on the blu-ray in the Q&A after too. A definite purchase methinks. Was bummed that we saw the singers practicing Home and then it wasn't included!

The red carpet stuff was hilarious alright, particularly when he interviewed the guy from Klaxons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I thought the sound in the Dundrum showing was a bit poor, as if it was only coming from 2 speakers at the front of the room.

Plus it was kind of awkward at points because there were a very vocal group at back clapping along and cheering while everyone else in the 80% full screening just kinda sat there in silence. As if they were too cool to be seen expressing their enjoyment for a film. :rolleyes:

Still a very enjoyable doc and the above problems didn't stop me tapping my feet along to it and feeling quite moved at it. I didn't stay for the Q&A for fear of missing the last Luas but it was well worth the 10 euro overall. :)

• Advertisement

...and what was with some of them walking out during the final song? FFS people! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

It was pretty great at the Lighthouse, people cheered and clapped along, there was a really nice atmosphere right from the get go. The red carpet stuff was pretty, well, unintentionally entertaining.

I was a little distracted by just how incredibly irritating the interviewer guy's Mort Goldman voice was, and there were a few minutes of James looking wistfully out of windows I could have done without, it felt like they laid that on a little thicker than necessary. All the sentiment the movie needed was in that one little scene where he has a last look at the band's gear before it's sold off.

But that's just griping. The film was great, the atmosphere was great, and I choked up a little towards the end, I'm not going to lie. I enjoyed it, a lot, and it's a beautifully made film, but now that I've seen it I've seen it - given the choice, I'd rather just watch the MSG show itself again rather than the movie around it. That's one of the big problems with trying to make a documentary around a band like this; you can't do it without showing them do their thing, but when you do, you leave me wanting to just watch that instead.

What a band though.

was in the lighthouse too - screen3, atmosphere was pretty good in there too, the red-carpet interview beforehand had to have been a p!ss take, especially when he asked Al Doyle if he ever played somewhere like Madison Square Gardens before :)

Thought the movie itself was excellent, the gig footage and sound was amazing. I thought they had just the right amount live footage and interviews, which captured the mood and sentiment behind his decisions to wrap the band up....

.. having said that - he's touring again as a DJ, so some of his reasons don't really stand up now

I loved the guy in the crowd who appeared to be in tears for the ENTIRE show. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

e_e wrote: »
    I loved the guy in the crowd who appeared to be in tears for the ENTIRE show. :)

You might like this:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/09/05/why-lcd-soundsystem-mattered/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

The interviews at the start were bit ironic..

Since the name of the movie was SHUT UP AND PLAY THE HITS... I thought it hilarious that we had to sit thru that dribble when all we wanted was to watch the show...

Epic show thought!

• Advertisement

sudzy wrote: »
    The interviews at the start were bit ironic..

Since the name of the movie was SHUT UP AND PLAY THE HITS... I thought it hilarious that we had to sit thru that dribble when all we wanted was to watch the show...

Epic show thought!
    My thought throughout all of that was if somebody was gonna yell "SHUT UP AND PLAY THE FILM!" and whether it had happened yet in the dozens of other screenings.

Advertisement