Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are the best garbage/recycling companies in Cork City & County?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Hello.

Who are the best garbage/recycling companies in Cork City & County?

Can people put down personal experiences - bad\good?

I've heard of Country Clean, Greenstar & Wiser Bins. Do all 3 collect both garbage & recycling?

Anymore companies?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

I'm in the city and have found Green Star very good over the last 6-7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

How often would you need to empty your bins?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

aujopimur wrote: »
    How often would you need to empty your bins?.

Both the garbage & recycling about once a month.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

O'Donoghue Waste 021 4544004, great for low volume users, €10 for refuse, €5 for recycling.You provide your own wheelie bins.
    If you need free bins PM me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I use Country Clean and find them great TBH.
    Friendly chaps, always take extra recycling stuff if my bin is full.
    And ALWAYS put the bin back where i left it, which I think is great.
    Having the bin left on the road/driveway ect really p1ssed me off with other providers.

• Advertisement

Anyone have experience with Nyhan Waste Disposal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I found wiser bins to be great, I was paying 20 a month, normal waste and recycling on alternating weeks. They provide the wheelie bins, there's no fixed contract so you can cancel anytime, if you move they'll bring the wheelie bins to your new gaf, never had any problems. Even when the roads were iced up the xmas before last they still managed to collect. I never checked up on this but after the fela dropped over the bins I asked him are they cheaper than the council and he said yeah, between the yearly fee and bin tags the council work out more expensive. I only ever used them and refuse is included in the place I'm in now so I can't say anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

My Greenstar renewal is just coming up and the invoice is €340.67

240 litre waste,
    240 litre recycling
    140 litre glass bin

they're good but always always leave the bin in front of the driveway :mad:

Country Clean are advertising €316.80 with three 240 litre bins

I phoned Greenstar as they are offering a year at €220 for the same package as I have to new customers only, but they wont do a deal. Am I mad to switch for €23.67 year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

My folks had nyhans and talk about cowboys, they had awful hassle with payments and stickers, bin not collected due to non payment even though they had paid well in advance.
    I find with these companies that the agents tell you one thing and the office does another.
    Country Clean are grand but they threatened my folks with bill if they didn't give the bins back, so they got 2 new bins from new provider and guess what, CC never came for them. Really annoyed me, if you want them, TAKE THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Andip wrote: »
    My Greenstar renewal is just coming up and the invoice is €340.67

240 litre waste,
    240 litre recycling
    140 litre glass bin

they're good but always always leave the bin in front of the driveway :mad:

Country Clean are advertising €316.80 with three 240 litre bins

I phoned Greenstar as they are offering a year at €220 for the same package as I have to new customers only, but they wont do a deal. Am I mad to switch for €23.67 year ?

Well if people were switching, then they would suddenly match some prices.
    Annoys me that they hook you for 220 but i know plenty of people who move each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Do any of the companies in Cork offer a brown bin service?

eoin88 wrote: »
    Do any of the companies in Cork offer a brown bin service?

Is the brown bin for garden/compost stuff?
    And the blue bin is for recycling?
    So the black bin is for thrash?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 myf40

With Greenstar for the last number of years. No compalints expect re-cycling collection isn't until the afternoon on the day that the general rubbish is collceted (this is collected first thing in the morning).
    Handy text reminder service especially at Bank Holiday weekends because they collect on the Saturday instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I use Country Clean and find them great TBH.
    Friendly chaps, always take extra recycling stuff if my bin is full.
    And ALWAYS put the bin back where i left it, which I think is great.
    Having the bin left on the road/driveway ect really p1ssed me off with other providers.

I agree with you on that one. Been with Country Clean for a few months and find them great. Nice and friendly on the phones and bin back where you put it. For 20 euro a month for waste, recycling and glass, i think its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BMCG100

Worztron wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Nyhan Waste Disposal?

I have experience with Nyhan Waste Disposal.
    I'm changing to Wiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Green Star: approx €70 per three months: No problems so far:

They have taken the bin even if the lid was a centimetre 'open'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Been with Greenstar for 3 years. Really happy with the service- they don't get too excited if your bin is a bit 'full' some weeks. Only nit-pick is, they offer a glass service once a month, but once every two months would be better and extra recycling lift. Small gripe though...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Been with wiser since February and can't fault them for reliability.price was only few euros cheaper than greenstar who I had previously been with but I decided to switch to support a local company and also as didn't want a separate bin for glass-with wiser you can put glass in with regular recyclables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Major gripe with greenstar other than the price is that every bloody week they leave the bins blocking the driveway so have to park car, get out to move bins, then pull onto driveway. Annoying and quite obviously deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Was with Greenstar when we moved here but for various reasons ended up unhappy with them.
    Have been with Wiser Bins for a few years.
    Some times I run out of tags to put on the bin and just leave a note, give them 2 tags next time.
    Friendly service on the phone.
    Tags went missing in the post and they sorted it out.

They take glass in the recycling bin.

Only thing is I forget now and then to put the bin out...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

If you have enough storage space for the recycling wait till you have a car full and bring it to the Civic amenity centre for 3e

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

There is another company as well but I do not know much about the service, you would have to contact them.
    Healys Blue Bins - they do refuse and recycling as well.
    http://www.healysbluebin.ie/domestic-waste-management.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Ludo wrote: »

There may be trouble ahead....

Bins have not been collected around Our area yet today...I'm wondering if they will at all now.

EDIT.... Truck up around the park now..Looks like being collected today at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Really hope Greenstar come through this.

Can't be an easy business.....on the road I live, there's a row of 14 houses and weekly there are 3 different waste collectors :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Our bin renewal is coming up during the summer and we are looking for the best value provider. We are currently with greenstar at €270 for the year but as there are only 2 of us in the house we rarely fill the 140L rubbish bin and never fill the 240L recycling bin, are bin tags the best option or is anyone in a similar situation?

O'Donoghue Waste 021 4544004, Refuse bin €10, Recycling bin €5 per lift, no standing charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

We've country clean and never had an issue. Three bins (one for glass which is dead handy) and they dont charge per weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

we use Wiser and had no problems with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Sorry for bumping. Just wondering who would be the best for low volume for a short period of time? I'm in Cork doing contract work until October and I couldn't really justify paying for a full collection as it's just myself in the house I'm renting.

Advertisement