Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recycling query

Options
  • 13-01-2012 8:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I need to get rid of a small mattress - anyone know how much I need to pay in bin tags to do this up in Coolmine bring centre?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

this seems to suggest its based on how much space it takes up in your car van / rather than per item
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/WasteManagementandRecycling/RecyclingFacilities/CoolmineRecyclingCentre/

i have emailed them before and found them pretty responsive, youll prob not get a reply til monday though if you email today. not sure when their phone 01-8219475 is manned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cheers, Sure I'll buy one tag so and see if they'll take it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yep definitely one tag should do it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Yup, it was grand. Turns out they'll take credit card as well if you dont have a tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ciara duffy

Just google mattress recycling. There is a company Envirogreen Recycling that will collect it from your house.

Save yourself the hassle of lugging it down to the recycling centre.

• Advertisement

Just google mattress recycling. There is a company Envirogreen Recycling that will collect it from your house.

Save yourself the hassle of lugging it down to the recycling centre.

Do they charge?

amdublin wrote: »
    Do they charge?

Yes, as far as I am aware they do. But at first glance I think it is around same price as the recycling centres. Here is the link here http://www.envirogreenrecycling.com/mattress-recycling

We got rid of an old bed and mattress about six months ago (when I wasn't aware that anyone would collect it from your house) and it was a nightmare trying to it get into the car. We even tried tieing it to the roof, but it was too dangerous in case it fell off.

We ending up renting a van and it cost us over €100 and then having to pay the fee at the recycling centres. Which was far too much .

The retailers should have take them back, but they are reluctant to do so

To me that leaflet indicates €25-35 for the mattress. And more for the base?

That is way more expensive than Fingal.

I just folded mattress and stuffed it in my car :confused:

To me that leaflet indicates €25-35 for the mattress. And more for the base?

That is way more expensive than Fingal.

I just folded mattress and stuffed it in my car :confused:

Your mattress must be tiny and even at that I dont know how you say it cheaper. We had to pay €40 to drop it into the recycling centre and that didn't even include the cost of the hire of the van and the annoyance of loading it. Ours was a double and a base. So no way can you get that into a car.

But each to their own I suppose

35lfd4i.jpg

Website Coolmine
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/Recycling/RecyclingFacilities/CoolmineRecyclingCentre/

The estuary recycling centre is the same - 5 bin tags
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/Recycling/RecyclingFacilities/EstuaryRecyclingCentre/

Okay! So twice I've dropped beds to Fingal.

First time just a mattress. Double bed (4ft6 cheapo from des Kelly). I bent it/ folded it over and got it in the back of my car.
    Fingal charged me €8.

Second time double bed base & mattress. Same 4ft6 cheapo. Put them both on the roof rack.
    Fingal charged me €16.

Sorry, why I am gong to use a company when it is cheaper to do it myself.

• Advertisement

First time just a mattress. Double bed (4ft6 cheapo from des Kelly). I bent it/ folded it over and got it in the back of my car.
    Fingal charged me €8.

Second time double bed base & mattress. Same 4ft6 cheapo. Put them both on the roof rack.
    Fingal charged me €16.

HI
    I am not asking you too. I was just offering a viable and hassle free solution. Not everyone has a roof rack, actually most people don't (and it definitely isn't safe even if you do) because of the risk off it falling off, nor do people want the hassle of loading it and tieing onto the roof of a car and making multiple journeys to a recycling centre, which depending were you live you would be out the extra on fuel anyway.

All I was giving was my personal experience, it cost me €100 (well €95 to be exact) to rent the van for €40 to dispose of the mattress at the recycling centre. You were fortunate that you got away with paying less and I happy you did.

I just offering an alternative that I thought was good not to mention the environmental aspects , given that all the beds that are dropped off in the recycling centres end up at the landfill and given that we are trying to recycle everything these days, it is not the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Fingal charged me €8.

Fingal charged me €16.

Not everyone has a car!

Sharrow wrote: »
    Not everyone has a car!

Very true.

And I presume if you live in an apartment or the city centre it can be a right pain as well.

When I lived in an apartment it was a struggle taking the shopping from the underground car park, not to mention anything else

Sharrow wrote: »
    Not everyone has a car!

True!

I think I'd rather see if I could borrow a friends car (with roof rack) than pay to hire a van or to pay a company.

Sorry that is just me. If I can do it myself for cheaper than use a company I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

3 months ago I took a car load to Coolmine. It included a king size bed and matress,carpet from the lounge,several half tins of paint,old metal,etc,from shed.I rolled the mattress and tied it. Same with carpet. Thankfully I have a reasonable size car,and seats drop down,so was able to put through from boot. Threw a load of recycling on top. At gate I declared "a matress,old crap,and recycling",I was charged a bin tag.As for the bed,most are basically just a frame,so dosn't take too much too break them down.

Advertisement