Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary and Secondary Teaching?

• 13-01-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I know this is a terrible question but would it be common that if someone did the primary teaching course, taught for a couple of years and then went back to college to become a secondary teacher?
    I'm really not sure what kind of teaching I would like to do yet and I'll probably know in time, I'm just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I believe it's usually done the other way around? I know several people who converted from a BA into a post grad in primary education. Don't forget to keep higher irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

The way I see it is that:

A. If you go and do primary teaching in college, try teaching and decide you want to change to secondary teaching, you have to go back and do at least 4 years of college to get your degree (undergraduate degree and then PDE or else a 4yr course that incorporates the teaching aspect.)

B. If you go for the secondary teaching now, ie. do a general science/arts/business degree, do the PDE and afterwards you decide that you want to switch to Primary teaching, it is possible to just have to do the postgrad diploma and it's only take 18 months.

It's worth noting though, that if you do Primary Teaching course in college I'm sure you would have work experience throughout which would probably tell you whether or not it's for you, so you could switch courses before completing the degree.
    It's also fairly tough to get into the PDE these days, but I'm sure if were determined to get in you could get the necessary grades.

Sorry I'm absolutely no help to you. In fact I'm still not sure which to go into either...and I'm in final year. I'm planning on doing the PDE next year and seeing how it goes but wouldn't rule out going back and trying to get into Primary teaching if it doesn't work out.

Good luck anyways!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It's nice and easy to get into primary teaching no matter what you've done. :pac: Be it Mechanical Engineering, Medicine, Forestry Management, Celtic Stuides or indeed Secondary teaching.

The postgrad is now 2 years. Much like the old NT qualification now I think of it...

Advertisement