Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Subjects to Teach?

• 13-01-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just wondering, if I were to become a secondary teacher, which subjects would be the best to teach (or in demand), as in current times and down the road?

I would love Home Ec or Irish or History or perhaps English and wouldn't mind religion. Would there be big demand for these subjects or is there a surplus of these teachers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Irish be the best of that list. Anectotedly all the others aren't great. If you could do an Irish maths combo that'd prob be deadly particularly with the gaelscoils

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I would say Home Ec however I am biased as that is my subject! I don't think it is too hard to find a job as you can only do a B.ED in Sligo now and can't train elsewhere anymore, plus majority of home ec teachers are female so lots of maternity leaves or career breaks! (apologies if that sounds sexist)! I know in my school we found it very hard to find a home ec teacher this year for a couple of hours each weeks and we had to get a retired teacher, also when i was out sick for 3months we couldn't get any sub! In my school none of the home ec teachers teach their second subject as there are so many home ec hours. Irish is another good one! I hear there are loads of jobs however anytime I complain about the extra hours it takes me to look after equipment, ingredients etc by principal reminds me that it is easier to teach students who have chosen the subject whereas in Irish the have to be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

English and History is one of the most popular and common combinations - in other words, competition is fierce!

Home Ec teachers seem to be like gold these days, as do Irish teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Irish, by far! I know two people who don't have the PGDE yet and have got maternity leaves this year. Irish teachers are like gold dust!

While HomeEc may be a good one to have for maternity leaves etc, you have to think long term(permanency). While a large school may only have 2 Home Ec teachers, it could have 6/7 Irish teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Definately agree that Irish teachers are like gold dust. Maybe there are only 2 home ec teachers in each school as they are not teaching second their subject? We have 3 and half home ec teachers in our school , it would be four if we could get someone qualified however my principal is very much for Home Ec and will put on extra classes if there is a demand for it and only allows 20 students per class. If there is 22 students he will make two classes of 11 which I know that we are very lucky and as it is not the norm! I don't think it is that hard for Home Ec teachers to get CIDs or a permanent job. (however I am open to correction) You could always do home ec and Irish!! On the teaching part of it home ec is great as you get to do practical and theory, every class is different and it is great teaching fourth year with cookery and craft. The only pain as I said before is looking after the equipment , but the pros definately outweigh the cons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Irish is good to have but home ec would be best I would say. If your Irish is good anyway then being able to teach home ec through Irish will make you very employable in the Gaelcholáistí. It's always hard to get teachers from practical subjects who have Irish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tgirl

I did a B.Ed in Home Ec and Irish back in Sion Hill days. I didn't really like college it wasn't a great student life but I have no regrets it is a great area to work in. I don't know any Home Ec teachers out of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

English and History is a very common combination. You might be waiting a while for a full time job with those

Advertisement