Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goljan for the USMLE

Options
  • 13-01-2012 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey guys,

Sitting USMLE next summer. I heard other than the First Aid book that the Goljan Path book and audio tapes are really helpful. Is the best way of getting Goljan on Amazon? Also does any one whose sat them have any tips with regards to other helpful books etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

image1.jpg
    Yes get Goljan on amazon, it really is extremely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Goljans pathology text is a must but I can't say the same for the audio tapes. The tapes really just go over what's in the text. First Aid is your bible for the USMLE. I also used lippincott for biochem and pharm, and BRS for physiology, anatomy, behavioural science, embryology and path.
    At the moment I'm just doing qbanks and annotating FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

when you all taking the test??

spagboll wrote: »
    when you all taking the test??

April......hopefully. Still waiting for ECFMG to post back my form 186 so that I may book a date.
    A few from the class did theirs at Xmas. Have two friends who postponed theirs until March. I'd say I'll be the last in the class to do it, for this year anyway.
    I'm in no rush though. Have lots yet to cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

April......hopefully. Still waiting for ECFMG to post back my form 186 so that I may book a date.
    A few from the class did theirs at Xmas. Have two friends who postponed theirs until March. I'd say I'll be the last in the class to do it, for this year anyway.
    I'm in no rush though. Have lots yet to cover.

cool, all ive done is registered online :rolleyes:

how long does to from where I am now to getting a date do you know?? thanks

• Advertisement

If you have registered online and payed for step 1 then you can print out your form 186. Fill that out and hand it to the ECFMG official at your school of medicine. They will post it off to ECFMG who will then take about three weeks to process it. Once they have processed it then you can book your date on the prometric website.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WhosUpDocs

Mardybumbum: Any chance you could give a run down on the application process and how the material correlates to the course work covered up to the end of 3rd year (TCD here too)? Anything I read just makes me more confused :confused:

WhosUpDocs wrote: »
    Mardybumbum: Any chance you could give a run down on the application process and how the material correlates to the course work covered up to the end of 3rd year (TCD here too)? Anything I read just makes me more confused :confused:

Apologies for the delay. All over the place at the moment. Will try post up something later. Typing on a phone is a pain in the hole.

Right.
    The third year curriculum ties in very nicely indeed with the USMLE. So much so infact that I would argue that First Aid is probably one of the best review books for third year even if you dont intend on sitting the USMLE.
    The three big subjects in 3rd year are path, micro and pharm and the same can be said for USMLE. Of course you will have to go back over some physiology, anatomy, embryology and biochem but I found that they helped me in certain ways.
    For example, a large part of biochem tested on USMLE is the metabolic diseases which will come in handy for your paeds rotation. The embryology comes in handy too next year when you will come across things like bicornuate uterus, diaphragmatic hernia, posterior urethral valve, e.t.c in Obs/Gynae.
    The anatomy revision was useful for my surgery rotations.
    The micro tested on the USMLE is on a bug by bug basis like you did in 2nd year. I know in 3rd year you do a more systems based approach but revising all the bugs again will certainly be of no harm to you.

As for the texts I used studying for step 1.....

BRS, Goljan, and Big Robbins for path. BRS and Goljan are perfect for step 1 but if you want to do well in the LabMed exam then Big Robbins is your man.

I studied all my micro from "micro made ridiculously simple" and the lecture notes. That text is perfect for the boards and if you know the lecture notes also you will be sorted for the actual trinity exam.

Lippincotts pharm is perfect for both college and step 1. The only extra things you will need to know that are not mentioned in Lippincotts are the doses of certain drugs, how to fill out a Kardex, and the Mx of certain emergencies ( acetaminophen toxicity, status asthmaticus, e.t.c ) If you know MBs notes and listen to what he emphasises in lectures you're laughing.

I used BRS for physiology. It's all you need. Chuck Guyton in the bin.

Most wouldn't bother with texts for embryology and behavioural science but if you have the time BRS covers them quite nicely.

For anatomy I think I may use BRS but just focus on brachial plexus, thorax and abdo.

I used Lipincotts for biochem. Having to sit down and study biochem again after I was freed from it in 1st year was torture but no pain, no gain.

Any more questions feel free to ask. Studying for Obs Gynae exam at the moment so I probably won't be around for a few days.
    Gluk

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WhosUpDocs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 zoooook

Just finished step 1 and I used all the usual resources FA, Uworld qbank, Kaplan Qbank, Dr. najeeb if you have roblem understnading complexes. alll very good.

Goljana audio is very high yield I must say if you thinking of doing step 1 make sure you listened to goljan audio as much as you can as many times as you can.

Advertisement