Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concurrent Teaching Degree or General Degree + HDip?

• 13-01-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    Im looking to see what people would recommend doing more: A Concurrent teaching degree in Science degree OR a General Science degree and a HDIP/PGDE? Bascially im having thoughts about my CAO choices and I would love to hear other opinions :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ask yourself Do you definately want to teach? The only reason I say this is that I did a BEd (not in science) but teaching practice is very tough which we had to do every year for four years and it would be torture if it is not a career you want to go into. On the other hand I hear the pgde is extremely hard to get into and you would prob need a 1.1 to be guaranteed a place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I did a concurrent degree because I knew what I wanted to do. I think interview panels look favourably on a concurrent degree since you are focussing on education and methodologies throughout the four years. I probably only think that because of my degree though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

If you are sure that teaching is what you want to do, then I would recommend a concurrent teaching degree. The HDip is very expensive so it works out cheaper in the long run to do a concurrent programme! Also, places on the HDip are very competitive!

Think carefully though, concurrent programmes may not be much use if you later decide teaching is not for you. E.g. a Science Education degree may not have as much worth as a Science degree if you are trying to break into that field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I think that the teaching council automatically accepts that you are qualified to teach your subjects with a BEd, whereas if you do a degree and pgde you must get them to look at your scripts and pay them a fee. I have heard soooo many horror stories about the teaching council E.g a girl i used to work with did a biochemistry degree in uk, teaching council told her she is only qualified to teach j.c. Science and must do some open university modules to be qualified to teach L.C biology and chemistry. I think there is a list of degrees on teaching council website and they specify the subjects that you would be qualified to teach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Millem wrote: »
    I think that the teaching council automatically accepts that you are qualified to teach your subjects with a BEd,

They do currently, but they've started assessing B.Ed (primary and secondary) for their teaching and subject content in recent years. The Science Education degree at UL was assessed some time last year (among others).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pjfogarty

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Im looking to see what people would recommend doing more: A Concurrent teaching degree in Science degree OR a General Science degree and a HDIP/PGDE? Bascially im having thoughts about my CAO choices and I would love to hear other opinions :)

I would def go with the concurrent science/teaching degree.Reason being is that it took me 3 years to get on a hdip course.You can come straight out of college and regiaster with no hassle if its concurrent

• Registered Users Posts: 38 birdlake

I'd advise you to do the concurrent degree if you are sure teaching is the career for you...it cuts out the huge risk you would take of not getting onto a H. Dip after your degree. It's extremely competitive at that stage with huge numbers applying each year. The teaching degree will probably be a hard slog, so if this is a worry you could consider doing the general degree with a view to training as a teacher in the UK where it is immeasurably easier to a) get on a teacher training course and b) find employment once qualified. Good luck with your decision!

Advertisement