Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with popup?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Anyone any tips?

I've 2 problems.

1 - i cant paddle fast enough to catch enough waves. Today i only caught 1 really good one to get speed up. And then i couldnt popup

2 - i cant popup :(

Can i practise popups just in chest deep calm water?
    Will that help me engrain the movement, and also help with my speed/balance?

Any other drills to help hold the balance for the popup?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

hey, what type and size of board are you surfing?
    what height and weight are you?

the most common problems for learners not getting waves i've seen are

the board is too small and doesn't float them well enough

they are paddling too far back on the board and need to shift weight forwards so that the boards "planes" or glides over the top of the water. the nose of the board should be just out of the water

if you want to practice pop ups its best to do it on the inside in the whitewater, this will also build paddling fitness and you can catch lots of waves pretty much on your own out of the more experienced surfers ways.
    popping up in flat water isn't going to do much. maybe some press ups at home if you feel you're not strong enough.

keep going bro it will all click soon and you will never look back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Im 5'10 12.5 stone. Rugby player so decent strength but the balance/speed in movement is getting me...

Going again now on Sunday and at least 2x a wk til i get it right.
    I'll get in with ben as well too as soon as student funds allow lol

Ok so Sundays aim is to keep the nose lower. I've been about 3-4 inches out of the water always :-(

Also to keep to the shallower water and just bang bang bang try catching smaller waves.

Then finish up with some good hard paddling to workout the back for like 15-20mins
    Thanks Prom!

hey nic you didn't say what type of board you have?
    sounds like strength isn't an issue alright so no need for push ups etc, i don't think most people need to do that kind of thing anyways.

3 or 4 inches out isn't that far out so doesn't sound too bad to me. it's more of a feeling when you get the balance of the board right, like you're slipping over the water rather than pushing through it.

to catch a wave u need to be moving about the same speed as it, so a couple of strokes to get some momentum going then accelerate the strokes as the wave arrives and then you should feel it pick you up. putting weight further forward on the board as you're catching the wave helps to get into it. but it runs the risk of nose diving so it's an inbetween of the two which you will figure out with practive.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4EuL5mfqB0
    this method worked for me. I know it looks like knees but actually it's the basic principle of getting to ones feet. over time and repetition it gets faster and faster and by the end of a few sessions (depending on how long they are and the quality of the waves) theres every chance you'll be doing it:D

that getting onto your knees part is a disaster and will hinder your development as a surfer, practice getting onto your feet. i've seen loads of friends held back learning that way and then having to relearn it properly.

on your knees you're totally unstable and dangerous, the guy in the video isn't a learner and makes that thing look smooth which it won't be for someone starting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

I found going to the knees was only out of tiredness.

Also, and this may be not affecting you but it's really worth taking a breather before going for a wave, give every few a miss and work hard on the ones to do go for.

I was told to practice pop up positioning by drawing out a rough size of your board with chalk on tarmac etc and get that right, I also found taking off the fins (depends on your board) and laying it on grass and practice positioning that way. (Neighbours may think you've gone mad)

Oh with paddling, before the wave hits, give the oul duel arm paddle together for 3 or 4 goes, gives that extra punch...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

make sure centre of balence is in the middle of the board, ie your whole body is centred on the board other wise you will just fall in

also look at the horizen (the shore) when popping up, this will provide your brain with some sort of referance point, worked for me anyway

good luck

Thanks Guys,
    I was missing a right side fin there on Friday. Got a new one in lahinch surf shop (robbed to be honest). Hopefully that will help a lil bit.

Heading down in about an hour now. Gonna work hard on standing up even just once for more than 3 seconds! lol

Btw - i have a 7'6 minimal

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Thanks Guys,
    I was missing a right side fin there on Friday. Got a new one in lahinch surf shop (robbed to be honest). Hopefully that will help a lil bit.

Heading down in about an hour now. Gonna work hard on standing up even just once for more than 3 seconds! lol

Btw - i have a 7'6 minimal

what type of board is it the bic 76?

I have no idea?
    I'll check tomorrow...

Bad enough day today. Went in with some friends & mg GF. Bit too strong for them and they got chucked around. Had to leave after 30mins :(

Did meet Ben though again lol
    Gonna book some lessons!

2 kite surfers out there really stole the show... I really gotta get into that!! :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement