Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court ordered takeeover of Newbridge Credit Union

Options
  • 13-01-2012 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

The Commercial Court has taken over the running of Newbridge Credit Union with immediate effect:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0113/creditunion.html

There are fears that regulatory requirements were not being met.

I assume that savings are guaranteed under the deposit protection scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

All savings up to 100k are covered by the deposit guarantee scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

All savings up to 100k are covered by the deposit guarantee scheme

Are you sure about this? I thought that was only for the Irish banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Are you sure about this? I thought that was only for the Irish banks?

Irish financial institutions which includes credit unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

If I'm not mistaken there was another thread here a few years ago about NBCU and its "dubious" situation. There were issues re: the AGM and dividend. I expressed my own opinion in that thread and I'll say it again here. NBCU hasn't been run in a correct manner throughout the so called boom years. It over lent and attempted to grow by lending huge amounts of money that was comparative to the banks. It did so via very loose regulation both in house and at IFSRA level. Considering it was effectively run by "volunteers", it was inevitable that it would eventually succumb to the problems associated with human nature. i.e. - it got greedy and didn't have the financial expertise of the banks to justify its eventual downfall. The original IFSRA CU regulator, Brendan Logue (since retired) was weak and even when confronted with small examples of irresponsible lending, refused point blank to investigate this CU. With respect to Brendan Logue, he was a pitiful victim of the Celtic Tiger years, when those in the finance business thought the good times would roll on forever. However these people were meant to be cynical and spot the problems in advance. They failed.

I hope members of NBCU do not suffer as a result of this, but I really would like to see board members and other committee members (in particular the Supervisory Committee) being made accountable for failing in the duties.

Advertisement