Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to plant in front of 5-6 ft fence?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

I'm generally a plant now regret later type and I keep changing my mind about this one so thought I'd ask others opinions.

Estate house with shiplap fences to the side with lawn section at side about 2.5 m wide/ 5m long. The fence is 5ft high at it's lowest point and over 6ft at highest. I want to plant something in front of the fence particularly at the lowest part.
    The main reason is to stop the dog jumping over :o so while it doesn't need to be stock proof i want something that will get to that height fairly quickly, have a reasonable amount of bushiness at that 5-7 ft level but also be reasonably easy to maintain at that height. Same problem with a couple of gaps at that height at the back wall (which is the usual escape route;)but want to have all bases covered).

Aside from something to keep the dog in, I plan on planting up the whole section so to have beds in front of whatever I end up planting so I suppse I need to bear that in mind when considering what to plant at the rear.
    Whilst dog containment is the main consideration I would also like it to be as bird/ insect friendly as possible within the space limitations. It gets plenty of light, the grass grows really well there but it is quite hard to dig with lots of big stones not far down.

All suggestions greatly appreciated as I just can't make decisions :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pyracantha might be a good solution. Its a shrub that will go up a fence without actually getting entangled in it. It has red or yellow or orange berries that the birds love, and small flowers. It is also prickly so will discourage the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thanks for the reply looksee. I do have pyracantha elsewhere in the garden. It's quite slow to grow though so to have any impact in the near future would be looking at having to spend a fair bit to get some that are already fairly tall, though I suppose though they would be good to cover the weakest spots to start with.

You can see my dilemma though.... I can't have climbers and it's not really a big enough space for a proper hedge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pool8

what about some dogwood and also it looks good in the winter or leylandis grow very quick and just keep them trimmed to what ever height you require or some laurel. go for bare rooted as it would be far cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

What about willow quicks planted along the row in a line.Makes for a lovely "live" screen.

They will grow up to 10 feet in a year,just keep them clipped to the desired height you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I was thinking of willow alright. That's speedy growth but seems reasonably manageable.

Leylandii.. no.. far too small a space and from what I see of them they seem to get out of control very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

littlebug wrote: »
    Leylandii.. no.. far too small a space and from what I see of them they seem to get out of control very quickly.

Dont plant them,ever..they're an antisocial menace and once they take off you'll probably never get rid of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lovemygarden

talking to my gardener about your problem, he suggested privet,either golden or green,its quite fast growing ,is frost hardy,can loose its leaves in a hard winter and greens up again very fast,if you dont cut it back till the flowers are finished you get the most amazing scent,as he gave me all this information ill mention him, Denis Daly www.dalylandscapes.ie

Advertisement